Business Names (1 Viewer)

waterfowl

HSC
I am currently trying to come up with a name to trade under, I am a bit of a perfectionist so I'm finding it quite difficult to come up with something I like.

If you have a business:
How long did it take you to come up with your name? and,
How did you come up with the name? What inspired you?

Feel free to post your business name to; I promise I won't steal it :p
Note: I don't need any advice in how to come up with a name, this thread is just for interests sake.

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
waterfowl said:
I am currently trying to come up with a name to trade under, I am a bit of a perfectionist so I'm finding it quite difficult to come up with something I like.

If you have a business:
How long did it take you to come up with your name? and,
How did you come up with the name? What inspired you?

Feel free to post your business name to; I promise I won't steal it :p
Thats probably a pretty common problem. I know I would find it really tough.

What I would probably do is just walk around my house seeing if I could get inspiration from something else. Or just watch tv and see if anything comes up that might be a good name or make me think of something related that might be a good name. I wouldn't sit around trying to think of something because I don't think that would work.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Sometimes puns are good; adds character to your business. My girlfriend's dad's an electrician, and his business is called AC/DC (named after the band (I think!), but fits an electrician). Other times they can be rather stupid. Depends on who your clients/customers are, too, I think.

Going down that 'depends on' line, it depends on your industry, too. "White Cloud" (the people who run the retail stores, Tree of Life) is a nice name for an alternative clothing/girly store, but it might be difficult to fit it into, say, the computer/IT world.

Marketing 101 would say make it short and catchy, preferrably something that explains your business straight out. The legal world says you can't have something which describes your products positively (ie you couldn't call your business "Good Software" or something), and there're a few other guidelines and rules that they'll not let you use.

In the end, as long as you don't sound stupid, I don't think it's a huge issue. People don't look so much at your name as your product, in my opinion. Sure, you're a perfectionist, so spend a bit of time on it, or it'll bug you, but don't hold up the whole business or your planning based on the name you've gotta work out.

Good Luck! :D

waterfowl

HSC
Murf said:
lol took me about 2 weeks haha lol not really that entire thing thinking, but before hand i checked things like domain names, what you could shorten it to, if it could just have initials what these were, and what a logo could be etc, how easy it was to remember etc. I looked at things the busines would be doing and sorta the aim of the business and combined the two :)

murf
Thank you for actually answering my question.

It's all nice of you to give advice, but I don't need it, I am just interested to see how long it took other people, and how they came bout theirs.

doe

HSC
N/A
both dick smith and gerry harvey reccomend using your own name in the business name.

mine is <my last name> IT, pty ltd.

once you have a pty ltd you can just register a trading name for something like $80, and you can use that. on your invoice you just have <small print> foo pty ltd, trading as <big print> witty company lol

you can use this (a trading name) if you buy an off the shelf company, which is cheaper than regging your own pty ltd. usually they have fairly generic names like a.b.c pty ltd, summit projects pty ltd etc. if you're worried about ending up broke, and you get your own pty ltd, if you choose a generic name you might be able to sell it to your accountant for a few hundred when you wrap up.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i have come up with a business type name if i ever need it. i considered what sounds good and catchy for the type of business. i looked for possible fonts and looked at which words looked good in the different fonts. i considered what it could be shortened to (which i am not entirely happy with and is one reason i might come up with another name). i also considered if it would date or seem old easily or how likely i was to get sick of it.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Skittled said:
Marketing 101 would say make it short and catchy, preferrably something that explains your business straight out. The legal world says you can't have something which describes your products positively (ie you couldn't call your business "Good Software" or something), and there're a few other guidelines and rules that they'll not let you use.
What about "Fantastic Furniture"?

Kirsti

HSC
Skittled said:
...AC/DC (named after the band (I think!), but fits an electrician).
The band got their name from a vacuum cleaner (or something similar)

doe

HSC
N/A
theres is a chinese resturant in pymble called "Very good chinese"

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
doe said:
theres is a chinese resturant in pymble called "Very good chinese"
lol, it just seems so foreign in a way

Abbeygale

HSC
Depends what the business is really. Someone once advised me to always give businesses names that start with 'A', because many people don't look past the first couple of ads in the yellow pages. But then, there are probably a lot of business/legal theories that are a lot more sensible than that one.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
doe said:
once you have a pty ltd you can just register a trading name for something like $80, and you can use that. on your invoice you just have <small print> foo pty ltd, trading as <big print> witty company lol
You don't need a Pty. Ltd. to do that. Also the filing fees every year for a Pty. Ltd. might not be worth the trouble to a lot of people.

Pick a name that you can get the .com and .com.au for, makes life easier later.

And check www.business.gov.au registry to make sure it doesn't clash too badly with someone elses business name.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
My boyfriend recently made his own business and it took him months to figure out a name for it, we sat down and went through the dictionary to find different kind of words that he could use. In the end he just used something simple that had something to do with the area that we live in. and now he has his little computer business :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)