Buses to and from UNSW (1 Viewer)

Katharine040787

HSC
Just got a few questions regarding the buses running to and from the uni.

Are there buses that are used only for transporting students to and from the uni?
How often do they run?
Are there any hours of the day when they don't run?
How much does it cost?
What are the numbers of the buses going to/from UNSW?
Where abouts from Central do they pick up students?

Thanks for any help!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
1. No, not really. But there are a multitude of buses that go past the uni.
2. www.131500.info.
3. As above.
4. Like $1.40 or so?
5. As above.
6. Eddy Ave.

purplemonkey

HSC
Theres a UNSW Express bus that lets you off at a gate on High St. I think the number is 891...not sure how often they run though...on Academic Advising day they had one every 2 min or so, with 4 of them waiting at once...I dunno what its like during semester though.

If you want to get off at Anzac Parade, I believe the bus that says "Little Bay" goes via that entrance. :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
During peak hour in the mornings (between 8:30 and 9am) the 891/895 are there on Eddy Ave every minute.

Go to o-week and to see what the transport is like.

The express stops running late arvo/early evening. You can catch the regular buses outside of the 891/895 hours.

Affinity

HSC
891/895 are express to and from eddy ave.

391/393/395 are also good. 391 tend to be a bit faster, but you don't get those too often

372 goes up to randwick, but it's good if your class is at the upper campus

Last edited:

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
do they run the express buses during oweek? cos i went to the uni one day last year but it was the during mid session break so the express buses weren't running and i had to catch some slow one which stopped every 5 seconds.........

sunny

meh.
HSC
ianc said:
do they run the express buses during oweek? cos i went to the uni one day last year but it was the during mid session break so the express buses weren't running and i had to catch some slow one which stopped every 5 seconds.........
Yes expresses in O-week - haven't been on a bus for a while now but I vaguely remember the buses were free during O-week. Expresses only during session and exam periods.

Affinity

HSC
If you go in hte morning follow the crowd.

gman03

HSC
Katharine040787 said:
So they seem to run pretty often, like every 5 mins or so! Sounds good!
They run every 5 min IF only like handful of people are catching it.

Once the queue starts to grow, they come like every 10 mins and then some stupids will start bumping people arround...

During 8-11, i would say it takes at least 30 mins from the moment you queue and get off the bus.

my 2c

Oh I just found out about babydoll_'s stickied thread... I didn't know it existed before.

Raginsheep

HSC
Worst time to line up would be just before 9.

Turn up a little earlier to avoid the queues.

FeelBare

HSC
So say if I was to get to Central at 8:00 would I have to wait 10+ minutes? What if I get to Central at 8:30, would I have to queue for 30+ minutes?

Damn. Wouldn't make the 9.00am lectures.

HSC
No you would make the 9.00 lectures. I reckon the bus trip only takes 15 minutes. But I remember that I used to get to central a bit past 8.30 (like 8.40) and still scrape into class on time. Some mornings are better than others. For some reason, Session 1 last year had a huge queue on Tuesday morning, but I think there was a core commerce lecture or something. But Friday mornings are heaps quiet; I used to get on a bus at 8.50 and only be a few minutes late. But my building was quite close to the entry of the uni though. Just do a few test runs - trial and error is good for the first few weeks of uni.

Raginsheep

HSC
FeelBare said:
So say if I was to get to Central at 8:00 would I have to wait 10+ minutes? What if I get to Central at 8:30, would I have to queue for 30+ minutes?

Damn. Wouldn't make the 9.00am lectures.
If you get there at like 8:30, there's virtually no wait. If you get there at 8:50, there's a massive queue. Trip time is only 10-15mins.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Eh, I'd say 20 minutes just to be safe, if you're concerned about arriving on time. Especially in the first week, when there's much confusion.

gman03

HSC
FeelBare said:
What you said there is pretty much what I've experienced in the past, where I usually get to uni before 9.

I've noticed if you catch the last bus before 8:10 you get a seat and bus speedo to uni in less than 15 minutes. But after that time buses will just wait at central and not take any passenger and those drivers/coordinators start to show off their we-are-fucked-up-state-transport-officers attitude and the next thing you know you need to queue for 10 mins, wait for the bus to fill up for 5 mins, stuck in traffics for 15mins and you get to uni after 30 mins of wait.

And no, don't try to study/do your tutorials on the bus, it doesn't work.

What else to add.... ah! Buy your god damn tickets from the lady OUTSIDE the bus, not from the driver.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
That lady is pretty cool. I like the way she calls everyone friend, it makes me feel special :p The bum underneath the tram bridge is pretty cool too. Give him some sponduli when you see him. You know, the one that plays the fife and sings?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)