Burn a flag :) (1 Viewer)

volition

arr.
HSC
Riewe said:
i find it funny people hide behind burning the flag by using 'freedom of speech'. But i have never seen a burning flag speak. Nor i will ever (i think). Speech is something audible and distinguishable. Burning a flag is neither (unless you count the sound of fire being speech). So the excuse of 'freedom of speech' is nonsense.
So does that mean you shouldn't be able to write or draw what you want? The whole point is that it makes a statement about something

volition

arr.
HSC
funnybunny said:
it only incites violence in idiots who think the australian flag represents something....it's just a piece of cotton/nylon with some pretty colours on it.

What is the difference between the australian flag and a pile of shit?...nothing..one's just harder to burn
I used to think similarly, but the flag actually does mean something.

I think the act of burning the Australian flag is like inciting rebellion against the government, and if it were banned for this reason, I would accept that.

davin

HSC
N/A
volition said:
I used to think similarly, but the flag actually does mean something.

I think the act of burning the Australian flag is like inciting rebellion against the government, and if it were banned for this reason, I would accept that.
to say that something is inciting rebellion that isn't doing so very clearly is a very dangerous road though..... i mean, at what point will they then say criticising the gov't in some fashions is inciting rebellion? and then that any criticism is inciting rebellion?

Riewe

HSC
volition said:
So does that mean you shouldn't be able to write or draw what you want? The whole point is that it makes a statement about something
You can't draw anything you want then claim 'freedom of speech'. That just isn't right. If you wanted to give a speech, or lecture, then you can claim 'freedom of speech'

If you wanted to draw anything you want, or burn the flag, then the cowards must hide behind 'freedom of expression'.

There is a difference.

aussiebogan

HSC
N/A
Hello Funnybunny, Volition and Riewe.
I have read your comments and have considered them thoroughly before responding with this reply.
I believe that no true bloke aussie will burn the flag and hide behind the freedom of speech to defend their non-aussie like actions. I think we, as true aussies of the future, should honour the flag as it represents what true Aussies in the past have valued. I only hope that all Aussies will aspire to their fair dinkum 1940s Aussie counterparts.

Last edited:

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
so u'd accept a concept that is very communist-like?

If you wanted to draw anything you want, or burn the flag, then the cowards must hide behind 'freedom of expression'.
what exactly makes them cowards?

volition

arr.
HSC
So you want to live in this country, and yet you want to reserve the right to cause/incite mayhem in public? I think it's fair enough if the government want to keep the peace in society

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Not what the Government wants. It's what the people expect of the Government. And 95% of people, according to a recent NineMSN poll, want flag burning banned in this country. I am not in that 95%, but I do understand and agree with the sentiment.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Hear Hear! I've seen some absolutely fantastic flag designs for Australia. Some highlights:

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Howard has definately made us meaner and has steered us away from emancipating ourself from colonial status. Who here is in support of those bunch of those royal twats and WHY?!?!?!?!?

P.S. I didn't mind Diana but the others are cockheads

funnybunny

HSC
So you want to live in this country, and yet you want to reserve the right to cause/incite mayhem in public?
Only idiots who think the flag represents something will cause the mayhem and it is these who should be put behind bars. Australia isnt a country where everyone is conformist and all live in a happy world where ppl agree completely with each other. There will always be arguments/ things ppl do that may incite some reaction from another person. That does not mean whatever they have done must be made illegal.
I think freedom of expression is more important than pleasing the minds of idiots who believe the aus flag means something.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
aussiebogan said:
Hello Martyo!
I also believe that in unedutated posts, people should not read the whole post. STill not convinced not to burn the flag? Well you should really go outside, and look truly in your heart. Would you burn your heart? Well my heart is Australia, and i will never burn it.
I'll never be convinced. Flag burning is legal and is rightly so. People can burn our flag, or any nations flag 'til their hearts content. I don't care. Burn a piece of cloth and stomp on it.

What I was talking about in my post is that the current Australian flag doesn't really represent the way MOST Australians think and feel. When the flag was designed, Australia was a white/Protestant dominated country. Right now, Australia is a Caucasian/Catholic dominated country. The UK flag in the top left hand corner? So what if we're part of the Commonwealth? Canada is part of the Commonwealth. No UK flag in their flag. The only developed countries that are part of the Commonwealth and still have that piece of crap in their flag are Australia and New Zealand, and we really need to grow up.

(I went a bit off topic there. If anyone agrees with me and hasn't visited www.ausflag.com.au I think you should)

aussiebogan

HSC
N/A
Hello Martyo!

Thankyou for the time you've taken to write up your reply.
I also agree with you when you say that all true aussies believe that the Australian flag is a part of ourselves within and would never burn it. However, i also agree with your comment about the changing of the flag. I think, we as the great Australian nation, have showed that we have our own great culture and relaxed, out-going lifestyle and should not need to associate ourselves with the United Kingdom. I think all fair dinkum aussies should look within their hearts and combine all our views and perceptions of what the great Australian flag should be, and come up with one worthy of this great country.
Again, thankyou for your post.

funnybunny

HSC
Well..the whole issue of that artist shows that aussies are willing to defend freedom of expression when others are attacked, but when the attacks are directed at them, they simply cant hack it.

poorna

HSC
burning aflag is really rediculus it is opposing the pride of the nation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)