• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bunnings application form (1 Viewer)

Rayanaldo

HSC
N/A
My brother picked up for me an application form from Bunnings today. It says in the first section what position I am applying for.

Does that mean whether I want to work as a full time, part time or casual worker or does it mean if I want to work as a cashier, stock filler etc?

HSC
i work at bunnings, position is what section

for example i put indoor timber, but then they said you want too do tools cashier and i said yeh sure

AVOID CASHIER <-- especially as a casual on weekends, its a horrible job, im a tools cashier so its not bad, but ive managed too got out of it and just sell tools being 16

any other questions you can ask me ivebeen working there since march 2004

Rayanaldo

HSC
N/A
Ok then.

What type of sections then can I apply for? I need to know so I can see which one is the right position for me.

PS - Which Bunnings do you work at?

HSC
plumbing
homewares
tiling
bathrooms
gardening
indoor nursery
outdoor nursery
power gardening
tools (where im at)
builders hardware
indoor timber
thru to timber
paints
cashier

rockdale bunnings

HSC
most the time, we are still understaffed after recruiting 15 people

the original people at bunnings about half or more have left, and i say about half of them have been replaced, even when we had af ull amount of staff when the store was opend in april, we still needed more

the management team tell me they're putting in an advertisement very soon for a recruitment drive for bankstown, rockdale & mascot bunnings

Scanorama

HSC
Thanks Casmira, Im going to apply the one at Bankstown Airport :)

Last edited:

Jumpman

HSC
plumbing
homewares
tiling
bathrooms
gardening
indoor nursery
outdoor nursery
power gardening
tools (where im at)
builders hardware
indoor timber
thru to timber
paints
cashier
does it matter if you know nothing about any of those?

HSC
well if youre lucky someone teaches you ... i worked in tools with NFI, and now about 6 months later i know enough too sell a majority of stuff, answer alot of questions, a good idea is instead of just sitting there being "Taught" when someone asks you something, you tell hte other team member the question and stand and listen to osee how they answer it

such as in homewares, i knew nothing and 3 weeks later i was selling off cupboards, advising colours al sorts of shit, but it was actually harder for me, nobody was there, i learnt all off my own, so while it might of been harder and more fustrating on the customers, i got more in, by homewares i also mean tiling because its same section almost

i knew previously about indoor timber because i used too work in a timber yard, but they dont seem to give a shit, they wanted me as cashier, but trust me guys cashier blows, i love being on the "floor" (as youd say if youre doing anything BUT cashiering)

but seriously when you apply put down for something in an area you got interest in, ie. lets say you love plants, do indoor or outdoor nursery, and eventually you pick up everything, i know 2 16 year olds that work there and one of them worked at bunnings for ages and picked it all up, the other one learnt off him (and still does learn)

you will find alot of hot girls come in on the weekend, but as a new casual you get bombed with alot of shifts, they do that too see which days your REALLY available (you could say all week but they test you by putting you all these shifts ) - the first 3 months act like an angel too them, then settle in, dont try too get to know everyone at once unless you are a REALLY nice person

another problem with cashier is if you take a 30min break you gotta be back 30min sharp, on floor im sometimes 10min late they dont care, also as cashier its verry hard too get a break, and when you do, 3/4 of the time its no t the time you want (ie. your not hungry)- they offered me a 30min break 2hrs into my 10hr shift, thatsso retarded, it meansi work 8 hours with only 2 spread out 15min breaks, and they kept forcing me and i applied a strict NO

ive been there since the start so i got some ground too stand on, i know my shit between tools & homewares which is why im used alot too serve on floor, infact im the only cashier who does both floor and cashier often, the rest prefer too stand there adn do shit for all (i could never do that, i hate being idle)

em_516

bludging..
HSC
what exactly is so wrong with being a cashier at bunnings?..you still haven't exactly provided a reason..i think if i apply for bunnings i'd go cashier coz i KNOW i prolly won't pick up anything in other areas..i've been into bunnings a couple of times and it never seems like they're really doing anything so i don't see the problem lol..

HSC
em_516 said:
what exactly is so wrong with being a cashier at bunnings?..you still haven't exactly provided a reason..i think if i apply for bunnings i'd go cashier coz i KNOW i prolly won't pick up anything in other areas..i've been into bunnings a couple of times and it never seems like they're really doing anything so i don't see the problem lol..
trust me i said that at first

a) impossible to get a break on weekends, the supervisors are nazis
b) you have too argue your break
c) very VERY strict on times
d) they choose when you get your breaks
e) alot of pressure
f) insane customers (less likely too have them on floor)
g) more responsibility
h) you can't leave for your break, or even end of your shift unless someone is there too replace you (or till your que dies)
i) the real bastards make you stay back and count the change for rest of hte day
j) its very slow time
k) the lines go endless, you can't stop and break
l) if you got a fineline number from a dept. theres a good chance they never come (ie. plumbing) so you gotta sit there calling, you got an impatient customers going anal at YOU for THEM beign slow

thats just the start

most of those 'cons' of cashier is removed if youre on floor

btw starting wages is $9.60, even if you're 14, or 16, it goes up 17, 18 etc.. (casual, full timer rates are lower)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
hehehe

bunnings guys get a lot of stock from sikkens finishers...

(where I work)

I know, random comment, but fuck, work is all i do now.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
mm..but don't you think maybe that's because you live in sydney? i live in newie and the bunnings i'm thinking of is never very busy..

and i'm 17 (18 in may)..would that mean my pay would be more than $9.60?

i kind of don't care at the moment..i really want a job..i can always quit! is it easy to change positions if it really is that shit?

HSC
its best to start working somewhere where you will like it, rather then hassle to change, it took me a lot of haggling and in the end i didnt win

newcastle bunnings prob isnt as busy because its more rural, not as many people, see this bunnings is in the more inner suburbs of sydney, so its close to alot of people, especially considering rockdale has alot of houses being renovated (its houses are all 30+ years old and everyone thinks their a tiler/plumber/sparky after one episode of renovation rescue)

so its busy

nah your pay will be more, someone 21 i know gets $14 something as a part timer (iirc)

it may be more or less, DO NOT ASK until you are told the job, when iwent to fill out the forms of my detials when i got the job, they told me then and there my pay

if you got a job now, id hang onto that until your secured a place into bunnings

good luck! remember to say your enthusiastic, willing to learn, and the more available days you got the better, when i firstly worked their they put me in 6 days a week, 4-9 mon-thu and 8-6 sat/sun

we where short staffed, needless too say in that 2 terms i worked, i made a fuckload, but i worked my ass off in term 3 to catch it all up, and i only ended up 'maintaining' my results most the time (Except for IT which i jumped forward 40 positions) - i made a big mistake (my lesson is dont let this get in front of uni)

each time they ask you what you like to do, keep expressing interest in one of the areas at bunnings, so for e.g lets say you love plants, at every opportunity keep saying how much you enjoy working with plants, selling plants, and that sort of shit

you might get smart managers who what they do is switch around staff in departments, now i work in electrical, and i know nothing electrical except audio/video stuff (like coaxial cable, audio cables etc..)

any other questions fire away ;D

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Jumpman said:
plumbing
homewares
tiling
bathrooms
gardening
indoor nursery
outdoor nursery
power gardening
tools (where im at)
builders hardware
indoor timber
thru to timber
paints
cashier

does it matter if you know nothing about any of those?
i'm with jumpman then..i know nothing about those areas lol

lol..and i wasn't planning on asking how much i would be paid..i just thought i'd ask you for an estimate seeing as you're not the one employing me and so don't care hehe

at the moment i'm completely available..but when uni starts i'm not available mon, tues and wed..thurs, fri, sat and sun are all free :D..that's good enough yeh? lol

what is an easier department for those who know nothing about these areas? haha..i guess i probably shouldn't even apply if i know none of these..but i want a job damn it!

HSC
all i knew was indoor timber yet i was put in tools, i had nfi how these tools work, bunnings dont expect you to be experts, just say your keen on learning on these fields, its best to tell them that for X weeks i can work any day, when uni starts I can work X days, they love if it you give them heaps of notice

homewares requires shit for all knowledge, the most 'technical' shit you can get asked is about clothesline, 90% of the time you get asked where stuff is, about products the most common question is "what cleans what" and thankfully you got big ass labls on them saying "I clean glass" - "I clean grease" - so since the customer seems to have misplaced their eyes to read themselves, you pull one out for them

now this is assuming nobodys there to help you, i had to figure out homewares on my own

and tommorow at 8am - 4pm ill have to figure out electrical on my own :( electricals one of the hardest sections, you get asked shit like wiring houses and seriously, i got no fucking idea im not a sparky

em_516

bludging..
HSC
hahaha yeh..customers can be pretty stupid sometimes!

so homewares doesn't sound so bad..i might try there then..

bummer bout electrical :(..hope it went alright :D

HSC
better :D the guy that normally works there doesnt want to move his ass so i was in homewares all day, not a question i couldnt answer, people g owhere the degreases, i point them out
its easy, the packets say "degreaser"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)