Building my own computer (1 Viewer)

waza_

HSC
Ok so I'm sick of my shitty computer that I have now, it's got 1.5gb of RAM, single processor, 160gb HDD, 17" monitor and it took 16 hours to render my art major which was a pain in the arse

So getting to the point here I've been sussing out computer parts I want etc and just wondering if you guys would think this is a really good computer for professional video editing. I'm going to need a really good computer once I upgrade to a HD camera and start my film production course

Here is the list of everything I could find that would help me, if you guys can help me change parts to make it awesome I would be extremely grateful =D

I have a price limit of $1,700

Umart Online

Umart Online

Umart Online

Umart Online

Umart Online This x2

Umart Online

Umart Online

Umart Online

Umart Online

Umart Online

Umart Online

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
$1700 Budget? I can quote you a system.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
1700 will get you quite good parts. If your able to tell me roughly where you are from I might be able to reccomend you a store, stores or markets can be cheaper than online. One issue BTW, it seems you are trying to put 4 sticks of ram in, your not getting 2x 4gb your getting 2x2x2gb. With ddr3 also its a good idea to take advantage of the tri-channel ability.

waza_

HSC
1700 will get you quite good parts. If your able to tell me roughly where you are from I might be able to reccomend you a store, stores or markets can be cheaper than online. One issue BTW, it seems you are trying to put 4 sticks of ram in, your not getting 2x 4gb your getting 2x2x2gb. With ddr3 also its a good idea to take advantage of the tri-channel ability.

Ah ok thanks! I'm from Ulladulla, it's a small town on the south coast. I'm still trying to get a greater knowledge on computer hardware so I don't screw up this computer haha if I do it's just a waste of money

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Ah ok thanks! I'm from Ulladulla, it's a small town on the south coast. I'm still trying to get a greater knowledge on computer hardware so I don't screw up this computer haha if I do it's just a waste of money
Ohh dont know any good computer shops there.

Honestly its quite hard to screw up a computer, just research and make sure all the components are compatible with each other (from what i see you already have).

I would also suggest checking the temperatures once you got it running though, a lot of stock fans are rubbish - my computer was over heating really bad because of that.

xceL

HSC
$1700 will get you a GREAT high end PC which will last. Just don't buy from retail stores like Harvey Norman xD.
And Umart have great prices ^^,

As for screwing up the PC.. It's kinda hard to, I mean if you're building it yourself 1 cable can only fit in 1 slot kinda thing, you can't really go wrong. Just make sure stuff goes in sequentially like Slot 0 -> slot 1 -> slot 2 etc.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
$1700 will get you a GREAT high end PC which will last. Just don't buy from retail stores like Harvey Norman xD.
And Umart have great prices ^^,

As for screwing up the PC.. It's kinda hard to, I mean if you're building it yourself 1 cable can only fit in 1 slot kinda thing, you can't really go wrong. Just make sure stuff goes in sequentially like Slot 0 -> slot 1 -> slot 2 etc.
Umm building from scratch is not a plug and play process...

OP, what are you looking at doing. I can quote you a system.

waza_

HSC

OP, what are you looking at doing. I can quote you a system.

Well I'm pretty much only using this computer for video editing, taking it seriously and working with professional equipment. I edit with Premiere Pro CS4 which needs 2GB RAM just to run the program and because I'll be working with HD cameras I need a really good graphics card so I can view the files on my computer, I also want a 24" HD monitor

I hope this helps, its just a summary of what I wanna do basically, work with HD/professional equipment to make better videos =D

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHz Processor -229

- Gigabyte EP43 Series Motherboard -149

- 4GB DDR2 Memory -118

- 500GB SATA2 Hard Drive -66

- 22x Multi-format DVD Burner -~50

- BENQ G2411HD 24 -299

-Palit Nvidia GeForce™ 9800GT -159

- CoolerMaster Elite Case w/ PSU -99

So $1169

Should be sufficient, also leaves $500 for additional hardware like professional soundcards or speaker systems.

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
@ Snowfox.

The OP wants a good video editing PC so im assuming rendering. That's a good system but a better graphics card is a possibility, maybe a GTX275 or 285. Also, Adobe CS4 uses OpenGL. What are Radeons like for handling it, because i know my Nvidia 8800GTS crashes a lot during intensive openGL work like editing/rendering HD video.

waza_

HSC
Yeah I need the best graphics card possible without reaching too far in price, plus I would much prefer a 1TB hard drive instead of 500GB seeing as HD footage is fairy large in file size

xceL

HSC
It was for me.. You can't REALLY build a PC wrong, assuming all your parts are compatible. It's not hard at all. Find a motherboard and buy all your parts based on it's compatabilities: DDR2/3, AMD/INTEL/, IDE/SATA etc.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
ask on overclockers australia - you'll get better and more advice.

i suggest going to msy, and buying every single component you need from there...
Small retailers are cheaper than MSY

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
It was for me.. You can't REALLY build a PC wrong, assuming all your parts are compatible. It's not hard at all. Find a motherboard and buy all your parts based on it's compatabilities: DDR2/3, AMD/INTEL/, IDE/SATA etc.
Thats or common sense, actually building one from scratch is different.

Yeah I need the best graphics card possible without reaching too far in price, plus I would much prefer a 1TB hard drive instead of 500GB seeing as HD footage is fairy large in file size
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHz Processor -229

- Gigabyte EP43 Series Motherboard -149

- 4GB DDR2 Memory -118

- 1TB SATA2 Hard Drive -113

- 22x Multi-format DVD Burner -~50

- BENQ G2411HD 24 -299

-GTX275 DDR3 -339

- CoolerMaster Elite Case w/ PSU -99

So $1369
@ Snowfox.

The OP wants a good video editing PC so im assuming rendering. That's a good system but a better graphics card is a possibility, maybe a GTX275 or 285. Also, Adobe CS4 uses OpenGL. What are Radeons like for handling it, because i know my Nvidia 8800GTS crashes a lot during intensive openGL work like editing/rendering HD video.
Thats because its a GTS, i think they were budget cards, and are you sure its the GFX card crashing, or its just died?

ask on overclockers australia - you'll get better and more advice.

i suggest going to msy, and buying every single component you need from there...

The likely hood of them HAVING the parts is slim to none.

waza_

HSC
Thanks so much for your help guys! =D

Is it advisable to put 8GB RAM with that processor?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
EDIT: i doubt you'd need that much ram - you'd be limited by the other parts anyway (same thing with having a ridiculous graphics card and a crappycpu)
Um what?

@OP MoBo would need to be updated + you need to make sure you have a 64bit OS.

waza_

HSC
Yeah I always was going with a 64bit OS, I understand if I don't I won't be able to fully use my RAM which would suck haha

hugh2112

HSC
if you're doing stuff related to art (that 16hrs to render your art project), then i'd suggest at least a high-end dual core (quad core is always better), 4GB DDR3 RAM, and a good graphics card (if you're not into gaming much, then the ATI Radeon series may better than NVIDIA GeForce since it uses DDR5 VRAM opposed to NVIDIA's DDR3).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)