builders for detergents (1 Viewer)

zinc

HSC
Why do builders have to be added to anionic detergents? Are they only added to anionic detergents?
Thanks

danz90

HSC
What exactly do u mean by 'builders' ?

All I know is that with anionic detergents, there is a benzene ring after the hydrocarbon chain.

eg. CH2---(CH)13---BENZENE RING---N-(CH3)3 (-)

zinc

HSC
Phosphates or zeolites are added i think

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: builders for detergents

sulfonates or phosphates.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Builders have to be added because anionic detergents do not lather well in hard water, which would form scum.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Really, zeolites are increasingly popular now. And just think about it, builders are added to things that contain anionic molecules that will form scum with metallic ions. I don't think you can judge their lathering ability as 'not well' because their activity is just reduced quite a little to some extent, plus they do not form scum, they form soluble complex molecules!

Last edited:

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Undermyskin said:
Really, zeolites are increasingly popular now. And just think about it, builders are added to things that contain anionic molecules that will form scum with metallic ions. I don't think you can judge their lathering ability as 'not well' because their activity is just reduced quite a little to some extent, plus they do not form scum, they form soluble complex molecules!
What do you mean by this part?

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Anionic surfactant do not form scum with metallic ions, they form aqueous-soluble complex.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)