HSC
My subjects are:
Gen Maths
Adv English
Mod History
Community&Family Studies
Earth&Environmental Science
Biology

I'm interested in going into Biology Science Teaching.. do I have to study Maths at uni? And I have to study 2 areas from either bio/physics/chem - will I handle it if I've only studied bio & ees at school?</SPAN>

MonkEE

HSC
N/A
You need to study 6 subject in an area (eg. Science) at Uni to be able to go into teaching that area. You can have a minor of 4 subject in the area if you are interested in another area. Currently it is said that there is a shortage of Science teacher, so your chances are good. If you don't have six subject, you may need to complete them in your own time.

HSC
You need to study 6 subject in an area (eg. Science) at Uni to be able to go into teaching that area. You can have a minor of 4 subject in the area if you are interested in another area. Currently it is said that there is a shortage of Science teacher, so your chances are good. If you don't have six subject, you may need to complete them in your own time.
Okay, sounds pretty simple. Thanks for replying!
Just to make it clear... what is an example of the 6 subjects I could do?
Is it like: Bio, Chem, Physics, etc. Or are they specifics under Bio? Is background knowledge really important/a big advantage for those subjects?

MonkEE

HSC
N/A
Example of 6 subject - I am not sure in your particular area, but have a look at this website. If you hold a bachelor in Science that should be fine.
From what I gather, you do not have a degree yet? What you can do is study a 3 year program to get a bachelor. Then study master. I have been talking about a master degree all this time.
I think there are path ways that lets you go straight into teaching.

UWS: Master of Teaching (Secondary)

Background knowledge - Well not really, knowing the content is the easy part, to actually teaching, giving talks and produce worksheet is tricky.

If you have specific questions, you can contact Kevin Watson.
UWS Staff Directory | University of Western Sydney (UWS)

HSC
oh nah hahaha. im finishing up year 12, and im thinking about second. science teaching.

i would do a bachelor of science, then a master of teaching.
what would i study in the B Science?

HSC
It appears that no one else in this forum has much experience with this specific course. Fortunately I am enrolled in it at present and can hopefully shed some light for you.
MonkEE has covered generalised answers so ill get right to the point.

1. Your first question is do you have to study mathematics if you want to become a biology teacher. The answer is yes, there is no way around it. If you are completing a B Science degree in any major (from any of the major Sydney universities I have explored) one unit of mathematics must be completed. One unit means one "class", if you will, over one semester consisting of roughly 12 lectures and tutes (for maths). There are varying levels of maths you can study but even the lowest ventures into minor calculus. It is more than do-able even without prior knowledge with a studious effort.

2. This could get slightly confusing. In your first year you will have to study an accompanying science subject(s) along with your major. For instance: Your studying biology in your first semester you will also have to study a chemistry or physics subject. This would then continue for your second semester. Most biology students opt for chemistry over physics for fear of maths. This is enforced (as MonkEE has mentioned) in accordance with the NSW DET for teaching Biology at HSC level:
"A major in science (3 years of degree level study with at least 4 units at level 2 or above) of 4 units in biology and 2 units in one of chemistry or physics."
Source:http://www.nswteachers.nsw.edu.au/I...rements for Secondary Teaching - Mar 2009.pdf

In short you will have to complete a minor study in chemistry or physics throughout your course to fulfill this DET requirement.

3. I believe your next question is that will you be able to handle the course work for the subjects you have not completed during your HSC. I find it hard to comment on this has I completed biology, chemistry and physics during my HSC and am doing the corresponding units at university. All I can offer is that if you undertake reasonable study, attend lectures and actively seek help if needed there should be no reason why you cannot pass (or better) these subjects. The pace of the course work is considerably faster than HSC level and some lecturers are better at delivering it than others.

4. There are a large range of biology and chemistry subjects but a much more limited range in physics. UWS Science also has a large geochemistry selection. All subjects can be found on the UWS site or in the course handbook that can be found with a little bit of digging on the site. Once again my advice on prior knowledge is above.

5. Correct. You will study the B Science for 3 years then the M Teaching for 1 to 1.5 years depending on your study option (accelerated or full time). You will study subjects concurrent with your selected major or "key program" as UWS likes to call it.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision.

Good luck.

HSC
thankyou so so soooooo much :D entirely answered my questions!!
k now i just have to decide whether i want to go into secondary science or primary school teaching LOL.

Katteee

HSC
Hey, I'm currently doing the bachelor of science / masters of teaching degree at UWS. You do have to do a maths unit but you can apply to do 'maths reasoning' which is a maths unit which is basic covering things like basic statistics & equations, etc. You also have to do core subjects and electives. eg. biology & chem for the bachelor of science degree are core subjects, however year 11/12 chem & bio give a good grounding and I'd encourage you to make sure you're fairly confident with the concepts of the subjects before you start uni as it gets into more detail than year 11/12 after the first week or two. However depending on what major you do withing your bachelor of science degree the core subjects and electives available vary. If you would like more info or help i can give you my email or whatever because the website is designed poorly.

HSC
Thanks for all of your replies!

Hey, I'm currently doing the bachelor of science / masters of teaching degree at UWS. You do have to do a maths unit but you can apply to do 'maths reasoning' which is a maths unit which is basic covering things like basic statistics & equations, etc. You also have to do core subjects and electives. eg. biology & chem for the bachelor of science degree are core subjects, however year 11/12 chem & bio give a good grounding and I'd encourage you to make sure you're fairly confident with the concepts of the subjects before you start uni as it gets into more detail than year 11/12 after the first week or two. However depending on what major you do withing your bachelor of science degree the core subjects and electives available vary. If you would like more info or help i can give you my email or whatever because the website is designed poorly.
Katteee, if you would like to give me your email that would be good.. but I'm happy to just talk on this thread too.
Question; did you study Chem AND Bio for your HSC? And as I have only studied Bio and not Chem, will I be able to handle it? Is it best to do a bridging course..or what should I do in your opinion? Thanks :)

Katteee

HSC
My email is kayytee-MARIE@hotmail.com. It's just easier for me because I'm on that more often. I did do both chemistry and biology in year 12 so that gave me a fair bit of grounding. If you have the time to do a bridging course for chem I would because if you have no prior knowledge then it'll make the first few weeks less stressful as you won't feel like the lecturers talking another language. That said though, some concepts taught in year 12 are wrong (like the model of the atom) so it's beneficial to not have some of the ideas taught in year 12 stuck in your head because it makes it harder to replace something you've taken as fact with a new idea. How you cope with it pretty much comes down to how much effort you put in. E.g. I only just passed year 12 chem but my friend passed with flying colours. However, at university this year I put in alot more effort and found I understood alot more and passed whereas my friend failed because he mucked around. Plus, if you have trouble there are alot of people to help you out - other students, an online resource called vUWS, lectures, and for chem there is a program called PASS where 2nd/3rd year students meet up with a group of 1st year students to tutor them. So yeah, whatever you choose to do you have to be prepared to put in study time to get good marks but don't let that scare you cause uni is alot of fun :) and once you get used to how things are run and what's expected of you, it really isn't that hard. Hope that answers all your questions :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)