BSc good enogh for grad med? (1 Viewer)

garry007

HSC
N/A
Now i noe that your allowed to do any degree, but come selection time and in terms of the background knowledge u obtain, would doing a Bachelor of Science at USYD be as good as doing Bachelor of Science(Advanced) or Medical Science? Coz the onli reason i dun wanna do medical science is coz its too restricted, but i dont have high enough UAI for BSc(ADVANCED)! Lol, wat do i do??

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
in theory, they don't look at ur undergrad degree... hence it is called a graduate degree rather than post grad...

hm but i heard GAMSAT test 1st yr chem and hsc phys.... so in any case, so some 1yr chem wont' hurt...

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
garry007 said:
Now i noe that your allowed to do any degree, but come selection time and in terms of the background knowledge u obtain, would doing a Bachelor of Science at USYD be as good as doing Bachelor of Science(Advanced) or Medical Science? Coz the onli reason i dun wanna do medical science is coz its too restricted, but i dont have high enough UAI for BSc(ADVANCED)! Lol, wat do i do??
sure BSc is good preparation in terms of gamsat and probably first year of grad med. Just make sure you set out a plan B if you dont get into grad med
ie. any other career interests with your BSc degree etc

garry007

HSC
N/A
thanks guys...btw....wat IS the difference between BSc and BSc(Advanced) ??

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
You can do any degree you like. From what I've been told, the interview is more of your qualities as a person, and how you'd do as a doctor, rather than just academic ablities (thats why the have GAMSAT and use your Uni marks). I spoke to a lecturer at Sydney, and she'd done Music up in Lismore (southern Cross, I think) - very nice lady, not what i expected of an academic at USYD) and she got in. She said do something that really interests you if you know that you definatly what med in the end, because that way you'll get good marks. GAMSAT you need the equivilent to HSC Chem. The Interview is assessing your suitability to Medicine -- you can have the marks but be a social recluse and have no idea how to deal with people, and thus wouldn't make a great doctor.

I'm planing on doing Grad Med too, but an doing Nursing at my under grad degree because even if I don't get into Medicine, I can still work in the health field and have the ability to help people. That and, working at a rural hospital, RNs do the job of interns anyway...
I'm hoping for Sydney too, because one of their rural hospitals is Dubbo Base - and, being in the Macquarie Area Health Region, means I can go out to Coonabarabran District too. I'm told the fact I really want to work in the bush is a big plus in the interviews, and the fact I know about the region I want to work in shows I'm serious about it (ie, not just in it for the scholarships). Working for the Royal Flying Doctors Service, however, would be absolutley amazing!

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
garry007 said:
Being in the BSc (Adv) allows you to take studies at an advanced level. There is a minimum number of credit points each year you need to take at the advanced level. Otherwise there isn't that much difference. You can always move within the BSc structure later on.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
garry007 said:
more precisely, to do a b sci(adv), u need to fulfill a certain criteria... of cuz, logically spkin, u can be enrolled in a b sci (adv) and not fulfillin those criteria, then ur degree will be automatically dropped to a normal b sci... or conversely, if u do a b sci and fulfill those critiera, then when u receive ur bacholar degree, u will be awarded a b sci(adv) degree...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)