Broadband ping (1 Viewer)

blackbunny

HSC
Im getting broadband soon and i was wondering wat pings to you get with a 256k broadband when playing cs, quake etc also what do u download at. with my gay modem i dl at 3 kbs :(

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Your pings to Australian servers will be <100, probably <50. On overseas servers, you really can't get an accurate estimate since it's so variable. You'll also download probably 200-300kb/s, if not more.

asscookie

dork.
HSC
Apparently if you use certain download accelerators correctly you can maximise your downloads to the full 256kbps.

I have cable. It's very temperamental. Usually I download at around 100kbps, but every so often I manage 3000kbps+

asscookie

dork.
HSC
wrx said:
Umm 256k refers to 256 Kilobits per second. So divide by 8 and ull get the kb/s equivalent.
I mean that you can download at 256kb/s if you use a download accelorator correctly.

asscookie

dork.
HSC
No I've seen it done. Not on Telstra's ADSL, of course. Can't remember the ISP but my uncle was showing me on work experience.

grimreaper

HSC
asscookie said:
No I've seen it done. Not on Telstra's ADSL, of course. Can't remember the ISP but my uncle was showing me on work experience.
Well, you must have been mistaken. As wrx said, internet speeds are rated in kilobits, whereas stuff you download is usually measured in kilobytes per second. Therefore he'll probably download at a max of 32 kb/sec (as 256 divided by 8 is 32)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
asscookie said:
I mean that you can download at 256kb/s if you use a download accelorator correctly.
Nope .

asscookie

dork.
HSC
Ok well whatever. All I know is, on work experience, my uncle was downloading 3 Mandrake ISOs using some download accelerator, and he said that he'd maxed out the speed of his DSL connection. See, I don't know DSL. I only have cable, and I have managed to download at over 3MB per second. That's the only bit I can actually say happened for sure heh.

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Not technically. ADSL2 is capable of much greater speeds using exactly the same copper wiring.
Like, 26Mb/second.

At the moment however legally they are limited to running their service at 8Mb/second.

Won't be too much longer. You can get it through TSN in australia now provided there are enough people on your exchange that want it. And its DAMN cheap!!! $49.95 a month for unlimited 26Mb/sec ADSL2.

http://inweb.tsn.cc/webpages/Prices/adsl_2plus.jsp

Also: before you go buying a 256Kb/s broadband, have a look at your options... You can do SO much better...

http://broadbandchoice.com.au

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
wrx said:
Mednez r u sure? Its 256k, therefore he should be getting download speeds of 20-30kb/s
*headdesk*

In a very technical sense - you are correct. Divide by 8 and you get your speed, however from observations of Telstra and Optus broadband, the speed is higher, and I've not yet ascertained why, as there is a physical cap of 8MB/s on the downstream from the ISP.

Getting speeds off anything Australian servers isn't a problem, and the speeds will be awesome. Overseas servers however, different story.

In response to the original question about pings, CS only needs about 10kb/s downsteam to play effectively. Other games need a little higher, but they should all run with acceptable lag =).

Med

Last edited:

timace

haaarrr.
HSC
Working in Tech Support, the fastest I've seen a 256Kbps connection work for one of our customers, and sustain it for a few mins (when they say they have slow connections, we use this 22MB test file), is 28KB/s. The theoretical maximum is 32KB/s, which happens rarely.

The maximum speed for DSL is determined by the speed that the lines are provisioned for, which on DSL is:
256/64;
512/128;
512/512; or
1500/256

With the exception of some ADSL2 services, and Iprimus' "6Mbit" plan,

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
256K would get you speeds of around 21kbp/s.

For low latency, make sure you pick Aussie servers, or, at best, those located in NSW.

timace

haaarrr.
HSC
Grizzly said:
256K would get you speeds of around 21kbp/s.
21KB/s? phwoar. that's underestimating it don't you think? Average is 24-25, I'd say.

is a roflcopter
HSC
depending on your location and the servers location
pings would be 30 (optus, gamearena ) -100 (for some nz or WA servers)

the people saying that 256k adsl can download at 265kb/sec have no idea what they are talking about

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)