British Naval Blockade (1 Viewer)

Viru10

HSC
Hey guys,

Just wondering, apart from reducing German imports which were essential for the stability of their economy, was there any other main reason as to why the naval blockade was significant in leading to allied victory?

Thanks.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Economic stability is the main one, but you can always bring in how it was a lose moral wise for the Germans - they could not stop the British blockaded them and their attempt at a similar blockade on the British worked for only a short while, before they were forced to downgrade it which caused their U-boat compaign to be ineffective (of course the British forming tactics to decrease casualties contributed to this too). This image of Germany being defeated by the Allies would add to the war weariness etc etc, leading to allied victory.

Other than that, i can't think of another major impact of the Naval Blockade :)

Viru10

HSC
aaah ok.

Could i also make the relationship between the naval blockade and the German's decision to undergo unrestricted U-Boat warfare which lead to the US entry? So you can say that was their attempt to break through the blockade ansd this turned from bad to worse as it led to US entry which was the decisive turning point?

....or am i just confused :D

Kujah

HSC
N/A
You will see that most of Germany's North Sea surface fleet, excluding its U-boats but including its battleships and cruisers, were effectively forced to remain at their docks due to the overwhelming presence of the British Royal Navy and the overall effectiveness of the Allied naval blockade. So in military terms, they were somewhat blunted by this tactic.

jellybelly59

HSC
aaah ok.

Could i also make the relationship between the naval blockade and the German's decision to undergo unrestricted U-Boat warfare which lead to the US entry? So you can say that was their attempt to break through the blockade ansd this turned from bad to worse as it led to US entry which was the decisive turning point?

....or am i just confused :D
Yes you could make the relationship but make sure you don't state it was the only reason for US entrance into WWI - remember the zimmerman telegram that prompted US outrage.

On top of that you could say that it reduced morale on the homefront - the blockade prevented food sources from coming into Germany and the nation wasn't self-sufficient in this respect. Considering and factoring the weathering conditions which caused a food shortage it killed 60000 people in Germany late into the war (don't quote me on this) it would cause considerable discontent regardless of the potency of propaganda. This would discontent would pile on top of the shock they would recieve when they were told they were losing the war and forced to sign the Treaty of Versailles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)