Bridging Coursse and MATH1131 Questions (1 Viewer)

Reikira

HSC
Is a bridging course for Extension 1 is needed to do well in MATH1131, i only completed 2U Mathematics and scored 90 in the HSC.
If not, are the content from Extension 1 that exist in MATH1131 hard? or is it able to be self taught.
And lastly, is the EXT1 bridging course worth the time and money.

Thank you.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Is a bridging course for Extension 1 is needed to do well in MATH1131, i only completed 2U Mathematics and scored 90 in the HSC.
If not, are the content from Extension 1 that exist in MATH1131 hard? or is it able to be self taught.
And lastly, is the EXT1 bridging course worth the time and money.

Thank you.
They teach you from scratch. Some of the concepts in MATH1131 are actually 4 unit topics. But your 2u results suggest should be fine for MATH1131, though you may find some of the concepts quite new.

Like I know in the higher version MATH1141, which I did, there were a few people who hadn't encountered complex numbers before - and that was the first topic... so, while not a 'need', it certainly gives you a boost in understanding material quicker.

luke42

HSC
Firstly, I only did 2u Mathematics in high school and also got 90 in my HSC. I also did the UNSW math bridging course. I had Milan Pahor as my lecturer and tutor in the bridging course so I was extremely privileged as he is an outstanding teacher.

Do I think it was worth the money?

Absolutely, it was a well taught course and it built up my knowledge of many topics that I hadn't covered in 2u mathematics. Which helped a lot when it came to Math1131 and math 1231. Saying that, if I had been given a list of topics that were going to be covered in the bridging course, I could have easily taught myself using khan. So it's really up to you on that one.

You are definitely able to make it through MATH1131 without doing the bridging course, it's just going to take a bit more effort that's all. I had two friends that also did Mathematics 2u in highschool but hadn't done the bridging course. One of them failed and one passed. So I guess that doesn't help that much. If I were you I would do the bridging course, but it's not necessary. At the very least, ask people what type of topics you might need to brush up on and learn it yourself.

Good luck!
Luke.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)