Bridging Courses? (1 Viewer)

Newbit

HSC
Hey Guys, I have recently received and accepted an offer for a Bachelor of Engineering Civil (Construction) from UTS but I'm faced with a minor issue. The course that I accepted has Physics and mathematics Extension 1 listed as assumed knowledge. The problem is that I didn't do physics or Mathematics Extension 1 instead I did Biology, Chemistry and 2U Mathematics. I've heard that the Engineering course doesn't require any knowledge from HSC physics course, could someone notify me if this is true?
Also how much of Mathematics Extension 1 needed for the Civil Engineering Course? I know UTS offers a Mathematics Ext. 1 Bridging course but I don't know if it's worth going since everything is just going to being crammed into 2 weeks, I was thinking of buying a Flitzpatrick 3U textbook and working through that on my own. What do you guys think? Bridging course or Flitzpatrick Textbook?

lee337

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Guys, I have recently received and accepted an offer for a Bachelor of Engineering Civil (Construction) from UTS but I'm faced with a minor issue. The course that I accepted has Physics and mathematics Extension 1 listed as assumed knowledge. The problem is that I didn't do physics or Mathematics Extension 1 instead I did Biology, Chemistry and 2U Mathematics. I've heard that the Engineering course doesn't require any knowledge from HSC physics course, could someone notify me if this is true?
Are we identical twins, same situation!!! I'm only attending the MX1 bridging course.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
For Physical Modelling you wont need Physics, no idea about any other subjects but i'd say no. If you had done Physics you would be familiar with some stuff you will encounter, but majority of the subject is useless for engineering. As for Maths Extension 1 bridging course, are you good at 2 unit? To be honest the 3 unit bridging course spend a lot of time on 2 unit stuff which was annoying, if you are confident with 2 unit i probably wouldn't bother if i were you. It's free to attend as a UTS student so theres no harm in signing up and attending the first couple or any particular lessons - they give you a pretty thick work booklet too.

If you do end up self studying, concentrate on the calculus stuff - like integration techniques. Partial fractions, U substitution and Integration by Parts. You'll also do a little bit of Newtons method in Math Mod 1 so have a look over that. I couldn't attend the last three days of the bridging course because of camp so i actually missed most the calculus stuff. They went through it in Math mod 1 anyway, plus in the mid semester break right before we started the calculus part of Math Mod 1 there was a revision session where they taught us about those techniques anyway.

Newbit

HSC
For Physical Modelling you wont need Physics, no idea about any other subjects but i'd say no. If you had done Physics you would be familiar with some stuff you will encounter, but majority of the subject is useless for engineering. As for Maths Extension 1 bridging course, are you good at 2 unit? To be honest the 3 unit bridging course spend a lot of time on 2 unit stuff which was annoying, if you are confident with 2 unit i probably wouldn't bother if i were you. It's free to attend as a UTS student so theres no harm in signing up and attending the first couple or any particular lessons - they give you a pretty thick work booklet too.

If you do end up self studying, concentrate on the calculus stuff - like integration techniques. Partial fractions, U substitution and Integration by Parts. You'll also do a little bit of Newtons method in Math Mod 1 so have a look over that. I couldn't attend the last three days of the bridging course because of camp so i actually missed most the calculus stuff. They went through it in Math mod 1 anyway, plus in the mid semester break right before we started the calculus part of Math Mod 1 there was a revision session where they taught us about those techniques anyway.
Since the Mathematics Ext 1 bridging course is free I might give it a try but do they mark a roll at the bridging course? I'm thinking of going for the first few lessons to see how it is and will stay if I find it useful. Do they mark a roll at the bridging course and do they mind if you don't turn up if I end up finding the course not helpful?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Haha doubt they will care, it's not school! There was a roll but it was just passed around and you just had to sign your name on it - they didn't call it out or anything. I think it's just so the uni can claim on it (as its subsidised by the government, youll have to fill out a form at the start)

Someone i did the 3u bridging course with who did general maths at school stopped attending the 2unit one after the second day because the pace was too slow lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)