Bridging Courses (1 Viewer)

Phouna

HSC
N/A
Are bridging courses compulsory if I did not complete the subjects under "Assumed knowledge"???

I want to do a B Science/ B Education and major in mathematics.... I didn't do any science subjects... BUT I did do extension 1 maths =.="

HELP!

LordPc

HSC
not they are not compulsory at all and i believe that there are no prerequisites for any unsw courses.

but if you can afford it and you want 1st year to be a little easier, then take the course

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
if it's under 'assumed knowledge', and you havnt done that particular subject, then i'd do the bridging course.

i didnt do math ext 1, and it's assumed knowledge for b. eng (mech), so i did the bridging course and it helped a lot for first year maths at uni.

also, i dont think you can defer payment of bridging courses via hecs, just make sure you find this out before you enrol, so you dont have an unexpected $400 or so to fork out.

edit: but in the end, its not compulsory.

Last edited:

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
If you're going to be doing any chemistry subjects, I definitely recommend doing the chem bridging course if you've done no chemistry before. I reckon it was the difference between a pass and a fail for me.

And in any case, bridging courses also help you get used to uni life before you actually start first semester. :)

Doomah

HSC
save the $400 and get yourself a chem tutor instead.

for bio you shouldnt been any bridging course, its all just about reading and getting used to the bio terms.

MooshyMoosh

HSC
save the $400 and get yourself a chem tutor instead.

for bio you shouldnt been any bridging course, its all just about reading and getting used to the bio terms.
There are no bridging courses for biology, only chemistry, physics and Maths. Tbh, I don't think a chem tutor would be a good idea in the short amount of time before the semester and classes start; also, chem tutor would prob add up to be about the same amount of $, if not more.

M@ster P

HSC
Hey i have not done any chemistry and there are chemistry subjects in the first year of engineering, is the chemistry bridging course worthwhile to take?

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
Hey i have not done any chemistry and there are chemistry subjects in the first year of engineering, is the chemistry bridging course worthwhile to take?
If you're going to be doing any chemistry subjects, I definitely recommend doing the chem bridging course if you've done no chemistry before. I reckon it was the difference between a pass and a fail for me.

And in any case, bridging courses also help you get used to uni life before you actually start first semester. :)

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
What if it says something along the lines of... "THIS and/or THAT"

Would that mean bridging courses are recommended for THIS as well as THAT (sorry for the weird example!)?

LordPc

HSC
i think it means both. the english word "or" is very odd because, in the context of your example, it would mean THIS or THAT but not both.

to use a concrete example.

"MX1 is reccomended if you are studying pure math and/or commerce"

this would mean you should have studied MX1 if you are doing pure math, commerce or a combined degree of pure math/commerce. but if it were reworded like this

"MX1 is reccomended if you are studying pure math or commerce"

some people might think that the combined pure math/commerce would not require MX1, while just pure math or just commerce does require MX1

yea, the inclusiveness and exlusiveness of the word 'or' is annoying

budi tan

HSC
I am going to do chemistry bridging course. Who's with me? I know no one! :(

MooshyMoosh

HSC
I am :D. Hope Admissions accept my form, my printer went crazy on me and printed one side wonky >< and the colour isn't that clear...
:(

budi tan

HSC
I am :D. Hope Admissions accept my form, my printer went crazy on me and printed one side wonky >< and the colour isn't that clear...
:(
Were you replying to my question? If so, by all means we should be in the same lectures, I don't know how the bridging course works, though. I lodged my application yesterday via fax and had to redo it once again today because the credit card's detail wouldn't process --"

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
Chem bridging course seems necessary. What a bother...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)