bridging courses? (1 Viewer)

eeyore

Should I bother doing a bridging course?
Some of my friends are just getting a friend to give them a crash course, or reading a textbook. Do you think a bridging course is worth the time and money?

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
it really depends what the subject is. If you are going into fundamental chemistry without high school chemistry, you should be fine without a bridging course, but if you were going into regular or advanced chem, you'd need the bridging course. A lot of stuff we learned in the HSC was repeated in first semester anyways, but if you are needing good marks or just dont want to have to stress as much, i'd reccommend a bridging course.

holl

Does anyone do a health subject? I am going to do the chemistry briding course and my friend leant me her chem exell book. There is soo much stuff that i wont need to know in there like metals etc. Does anyone know how much chemisty is in health subjects?

~Dreamer

HSC
you need to know your basics, the reactions between certain substance, types of bonds between atoms, you need to know ur acids and bases etc.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by holl
Does anyone do a health subject? I am going to do the chemistry briding course and my friend leant me her chem exell book. There is soo much stuff that i wont need to know in there like metals etc. Does anyone know how much chemisty is in health subjects?
Well, I guess the content will depend on your course, but I do a health subject (Speech Path), and what Dreamer said is basically right-you just need to understand the basic principles and stuff.
A few of my friends did the bridging course and said it was helpful, but personally-I didn't do the bridging course (cos I was on holidays while they were on), and ended up being glad I didn't waste my money on it. There were a few things in lectures I didn't understand, but it was just a matter of looking it up in the textbook. There was nothing too complicated to work out yourself. And the lecturers were very realistic that not everyone would have done the bridging course, and they tried to briefly help explain as they went, or told you exactly what we needed to go out and learn. I only had one subject that used chemistry in it, and I got a HD on the midsemester exam, and a D on the final exam, and didn't study all that much compared to other subjects.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I'm (hopefully) doing the Chemistry bridging course, mainly because I'll feel more confident about Chemistry when/if I do my course.

eeyore

If I end up doing it, it'll be for physics for a health sciences course.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
im going to be doing a science degree (with prob bio, psychology and maybe chem) with the aim of transferring into occupational therapy
i did hsc chem, so im not going to worry about a bridging course for that, but i never did bio, so would it be wrth my while to do a bridging course for that?
also, ow long does it take and roughly what does it cost?

Dingo

Banned
theres no need to do a bridging course.
just goto your local library and grab a HSC textbook for the subject required as an assumed knowledge.

and read the textbook yourself.

peace^^

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
oh ok, thanks
i shouldnt have too much trouble with it, i will do as dingo suggested and read the hsc textbook, and my mum kicked arse at biology when she was at school so if theres anything really hard or whatever ill ask her (yes i do realise the syllabus has changed, but it should still be the same basic concepts. if not, a few friends did hsc biology and did pretty good, ill annoy them til they help me ;) )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)