• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bridging courses (1 Viewer)

mommba

ummm i wanna do petro eng @ UNSW n the req for it r 3u maths chem n phy.....i'm doing 2u maths n phy at skool...wat i wanna ask is: can i take 2 bridging courses at the same time?(3u Maths n chem)
When does this courses start?
How much is the fee for it?

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I did the UNSW bridging course for maths - $500 upfront.

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by christ_ine
I did the UNSW bridging course for maths - $500 upfront. [/QUOTE
how effective are the bridgeing courses?
i mean, do the teachers teach, or just hand out notes

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
It's actually quite intense, but I guess it depends how well you perform under those sort of circumstances. They do both, teach and provide you with an adequate amount of notes. It's a top way to make friends as well.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
if ya cant afford the $500 (or however much it turns out to be) i wouldnt necessarily worry about it unless it is a prereq. like, if its just assumed knowledge or something, go to your library and borrow a textbook on it, a lot have the ones the yr 12 classes use, and read through it.

Lucy Loo

ok hold on a second- is "assumed knowledge" different to "pre-requisite"????? i want to do early childhood at CSU in Bathurst and it says- "assumed knowledge- advanced english and any 2 units of mathematics"----i didnt do maths this year so does that mean i have to do a bridging course for maths or not? i dont understand this system lol

Lucy Loo

Originally posted by christ_ine
I did the UNSW bridging course for maths - $500 upfront.
wat was that course like? was it hard- coz i MIGHT have to do it
i HATE maths- is that course like just basic maths or like heaps hard stuff?
HELP

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lucy Loo
ok hold on a second- is "assumed knowledge" different to "pre-requisite"????? i want to do early childhood at CSU in Bathurst and it says- "assumed knowledge- advanced english and any 2 units of mathematics"----i didnt do maths this year so does that mean i have to do a bridging course for maths or not? i dont understand this system lol
A pre-requisite is just that, you must have done that course or a bridging course to be able to do that course.

Assumed Knowledge is where they automatically assume you know that knowledge whether you do or don't eg. they might use a certain formula that you would of learnt, you aren't forced to have done it but are highly recommended to have done it.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Yeah, even though it's assumed knowledge they may still advise you to do bridging courses. Basically at enrolment they advised me to take a bridging course otherwise I would struggle and may not pass the subject.

Lucy Loo, they start off with pretty basic things, but as the course goes on, it naturally becomes more difficult. But you can always ask the people who are running the course, or even your peers (seeing as you're all in the same boat) for some help or advice. It could also depend on who runs the course; the maths one was a really well planned course, whereas I heard the chemistry one was really a waste of time.

:)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
CSU is pretty cheap in comparrison, for their bridging courses. And you get even get out of paying if you fall under a certian group.

CasaNovo

HSC
N/A
So its actually possible to learn from the bridging courses?
Cauz i'll have to do a maths 3unit bridging course, if i get into uni for engineering, and only doing general won't help.
So its possbile, so they start with the basics, etc?

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I heard that at UTS you don't have to pay for bridging courses (me thinks they were bullshitting me), but who knows. Be careful if they "suggest" you do a brigding course that you don't really need - like they tried to get me to do a physics brigding course even though I didn't bloody need it (*waves fist*).

I guess you take out of a bridging course what you really want, and you probably should enquire about them before you actually hand over any funds; but I guess some people just assume that bridging courses will be super if they're actually in place and running.

Haha, yes, it is actually possible to learn from bridging courses, CasaNovo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)