Bridging Courses- Do they WORK? (1 Viewer)

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
Do these work for business degree's? i.e economics

SpLaTHoWA

Bite me.
HSC
what courses were u planning on taking?
and for the record commerce is one of the bludgiest degrees, and easily passable by cramming for every single exam. bridging degrees for commerce imo are redundant.

turtleface

HSC
i agree, commerce you can (just) pass by not doing any work during semester, and just cramming in 2 days before the exam

you probably wont get much above 50 or 60 though...

HSC
N/A
SpLaTHoWA said:
what courses were u planning on taking?
and for the record commerce is one of the bludgiest degrees, and easily passable by cramming for every single exam. bridging degrees for commerce imo are redundant.
Compared to what? I think commerce is fucken hardcore if you want to do well. I did a bridging course but I haven't had the need to apply anything yet. But I haven't done stats yet.

SpLaTHoWA

Bite me.
HSC
Compared to science courses, even your basic B.Sc, B.MedSc. I would know, I started in a B.Com/B.Sc and dropped B.Sc cos it was too much work for jack all return.
Commerce can't even hold a torch against the difficulty of engineering courses.
Compared to a clinical health science, I can tell you from personal experience that the amount of work covered in one semester of commerce in four courses is equal to about 5-6 weeks of work in the health science.
Commerce hardcore? Gimme a break. 12 hours a week compared to the 20 odd in every other degree apart from arts? 4 hours a day 3 days a week with 11am starts hardcore? Try 8-5 minimum 2 days a week in a 5 day week, or worse in other degrees.
If you think semester 2 of first year of commerce is hardcore, I have no idea how you are going to last the full 3 years.

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
I am doing a B.economics, and have allready done stats, but now have foundation of economic and financial models to do, and then another stats course more advance .

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
sorry can you expand on that, i don't quite understand.

SpLaTHoWA

Bite me.
HSC
as in why are you doing stats and stuff as bridging courses, why cant you do them as part of your degree?

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
because it is undertaken via the university college not the university.

SpLaTHoWA

Bite me.
HSC
so there's no courses that count to your degree that teach the same/similar stuff?

HSC
N/A
SpLaTHoWA said:
Compared to science courses, even your basic B.Sc, B.MedSc. I would know, I started in a B.Com/B.Sc and dropped B.Sc cos it was too much work for jack all return.
Commerce can't even hold a torch against the difficulty of engineering courses.
Compared to a clinical health science, I can tell you from personal experience that the amount of work covered in one semester of commerce in four courses is equal to about 5-6 weeks of work in the health science.
Commerce hardcore? Gimme a break. 12 hours a week compared to the 20 odd in every other degree apart from arts? 4 hours a day 3 days a week with 11am starts hardcore? Try 8-5 minimum 2 days a week in a 5 day week, or worse in other degrees.
If you think semester 2 of first year of commerce is hardcore, I have no idea how you are going to last the full 3 years.
I am actually considering dropping commerce and sticking to arts (I'm doing combined arts/comm). It's not for everyone. Just like not everyone can be great at music or english etc etc. You don't have to be rude about it, this is why things like bridging courses exist in the first place.

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
SpLaTHoWA said:
so there's no courses that count to your degree that teach the same/similar stuff?
nope.

What i am getting at, is if thes courses are benificial, the course goes for 16 weeks in S1 next year, to cover the relevent aspects of 2 unit advance HSC math

SpLaTHoWA

Bite me.
HSC
my point is bridging courses are generally extra revenue sources for universities and generally are a waste of time and money, especially if they teach high school stuff all over again.
i keep walking into courses i know nothing about and managing to do ok; i walked into commerce/science with only a rudimentary knowledge of yr 11 economics, started dentistry with knowledge of only 2 semesters of chem and bio. i was looked at like an idiot by my pbl tutor cos i came from a business degree and she kept mentioning "for the people with a non science background, could you explain that in simple terms?" and giving me an apologetic look which all but said "there there, its ok, you know jack shit, i understand."
that was 6 months ago... i'm still coping without having to do any bridging courses.

SpLaTHoWA

Bite me.
HSC
2unit hsc maths? gosh... go buy a textbook and teach urself. its really not that hard if u have examples, and its cheaper and less time consuming.

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
do you have a f*c*in life? do you think i havent tryed that? i am a HD student (meaning i am very keen about uni), thats not very great at math.

SpLaTHoWA

Bite me.
HSC
im a newly revived forum troll =O
actually im just procrastinating and avoiding my crappy communications anxiety management techniques reading
"breathe in, and out..."

well if u cant self teach 2u maths then go ahead and do the course. or you could enrol into a high school tutoring place cos they explain more slowly and more in depth

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
If you have done a bridging course, or know of someone who had, and if it has/hasn't worked for you/ someone you know, your input would be appreciated.:) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)