Brendan Nelson quits politics (1 Viewer)

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
A majority of regions supporting it is a different thing to the people supporting it. Westminster is not completely representative.
The policy was taken to an election. Whether the popular vote was won or not is irrelevant.

It is the nature of the system. When a safe Labor seat become moreso, sure the actual vote of the party increases, but the electoral viability does not. Howard and his team were effective in targeting campaigning to the seats that would decide election (Often referred to as 'marginals' :p)

As such the election was won, and policy implemented. One must work within the provisions of the existing system, and not fantasise about what could be.

As for Nelson, he was a genuinely nice man in person. Moreso than most politicians. I think it is hard to accurately assess his real persona on television.

Last edited:

mrcalkin

Banned
HSC
one would think a huge loss for Liberals. Know names in the liberals keeps on shrinking

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
I still don't get why people still hark on about the evils of GST. Either you don't understand it, or you're an idiot. Or both.

He didn't lie when he decided to reintroduce it.

lol @ what did they do, ffs.
Because people only understand two things-- money, and how much they spend of it.

Lentern

HSC
The policy was taken to an election. Whether the popular vote was won or not is irrelevant.

It is the nature of the system. When a safe Labor seat become moreso, sure the actual vote of the party increases, but the electoral viability does not. Howard and his team were effective in targeting campaigning to the seats that would decide election (Often referred to as 'marginals' :p)

As such the election was won, and policy implemented. One must work within the provisions of the existing system, and not fantasise about what could be.

As for Nelson, he was a genuinely nice man in person. Moreso than most politicians. I think it is hard to accurately assess his real persona on television.
I understand how the system works it does not however mean that "the people voted for it." As for the good doctors, most politicians are extremely genial, charming chaps who don't believe in being nasty for the sake of it, it's how they become popular enough to enter politics. Abbott is a dill but I reckon is someone most blokes could easilly become good mates with. Likewise I know people from Lilly who absolutely adore Swanny he's a real turn up to footy club raffles kind of bloke.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
I understand how the system works it does not however mean that "the people voted for it."
It's called a mandate...

Nelson seems like a nice man and I think the party will miss the experience he has acrewed over the years. Besides, he'd have to be pleasant to be a doctor.

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
good riddance. he was a shit politician anyway.

SpoonSamba

HSC
lol he was still in it?

hes a nobody and he looks like a badger fucked jimmy neutron

X

xeuyrawp

Because people only understand two things-- money, and how much they spend of it.
Nah, many people understand cash and how to spend it. When it comes to important things like money and the GST ('oh noes, youse taken my cash!'), people have no clue.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Senator Minchin should run in the by-election. Downer, Howard, Nelson gone, Costello might not go for it, the dry libs if they want to take back control in the house look like they might be forced to choose between Tony Abbott and Bronwyn Bishop the way things are going.
Trivia: Turnbull was actually only preselected for Wentworth after dry stacking against Peter King.

Minichin is a very solid individual, and if I had my choice of people to lead the country he'd fall very near to the top, but I think that he, and Andrew Robb, are better suited to supporting roles as they're too headkickerish to garner public support based on personality (though they can argue and strategise with the best of them).

Giving MOB to Pyne was a retarded move. He's shrill, annoying and has no real talent. Much better it go to Robb or Abbott (with the former retaining his Infrastructure portfolio).

sdent40

HSC
Minchin is highly economically right wing isn't he? He's probably not mainstream enough to be leader if so. Besides, who will build teh roadzz

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Minchin is highly economically right wing isn't he? He's probably not mainstream enough to be leader if so. Besides, who will build teh roadzz
Very much so. He stated at an HR Nicholls dinner that I was at that WorkChoices was just a softened up version of what he actually wanted to put through.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Your choice to lead the country, but not the liberal party, since he'd never be elected by 90% of the sane Australian population?

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
if johny boy can get into power, who knows who else can/

Lentern

HSC
Trivia: Turnbull was actually only preselected for Wentworth after dry stacking against Peter King.

Minichin is a very solid individual, and if I had my choice of people to lead the country he'd fall very near to the top, but I think that he, and Andrew Robb, are better suited to supporting roles as they're too headkickerish to garner public support based on personality (though they can argue and strategise with the best of them).

Giving MOB to Pyne was a retarded move. He's shrill, annoying and has no real talent. Much better it go to Robb or Abbott (with the former retaining his Infrastructure portfolio).

Everyone knows that about Turnbull. Minchin would be my nightmare prime minister, Minchin is articulate, he dresses well and his face shows up well on tv. If he could reign in his Latham side I think he'd be a competent leader it's a question of ideology. I would think he'd be viewed as extreme by close to half of the liberal party, but another half thinks John Howard is Denny Crane and would have deep reservations about a wet liberal being the face of the liberal party. And as time goes by the Australian electorate will return to it's fascist side anyway, this grand old land once saw Bronwyn Bishop win a prefered prime minister poll.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)