Brecht (1 Viewer)

Drama Gal

I am really enjoying our study of Brecht ... we are doin Threepenny and Mother Courage. Such a shame there are no productions of either on this year!

I am confident with the context of Brecht's work but am struggling with the techniques. I understand them all but am having trouble finding them in the texts. Any one know of any good sites or books I can look in?

Also does anyone know where you can get past HSC answers on Brecht? I have looked in the standards packages but can't seem to find any. Just want to know how much detail on each area you are expected to go into.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
theres a thread somewhere that has links for all the things you can study e.g brecht, meyerhold.. should be on the main drama page - very helpful. Try there. As for past answers im not sure :)

Last edited:

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Muse, you spelt meyerhold correctly, and mentioned it over theatre of the absurd! are you studying it?! If so, PM me. I could have some stuff of use to you!

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
im lost... im studying meyerhold.. the crazy crazy man that he was

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
_muse_ said:
im lost... im studying meyerhold.. the crazy crazy man that he was
Yeah, Ive got notes and resources that arn't polished enough for bos, if you (or anyone else) wants them, PM me.

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
I'm studying the Threepenny Opera and The Caucasian Chalk Circle- and they both confuse me!

But we went and saw Ivonesco's The Chairs (Theatre of the Absurd) last week at Belvoir St Theatre in Sydney, and if ANYONE can get there to see it, I say you should if you're studying Brecht, 'cos it's really good. It helps you undertsand the theories etc behind Theatre of the Absurd....

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
chelzmalee said:
I'm studying the Threepenny Opera and The Caucasian Chalk Circle- and they both confuse me!

But we went and saw Ivonesco's The Chairs (Theatre of the Absurd) last week at Belvoir St Theatre in Sydney, and if ANYONE can get there to see it, I say you should if you're studying Brecht, 'cos it's really good. It helps you undertsand the theories etc behind Theatre of the Absurd....
Hey Chelzmalee. I did TTO and CCC last year. PM me if you want some help. :)

Drama Gal

Have my half yearly exam next week for drama and I am starting to freak out. Just realised how much we need to know.

I think I know the Brecht texts well enough now but am still confused about some of his ideas.

I read on markers feedback that good answers talk about "gestus". I am pretty sure we covered it in class. Am i right that it is to do with the each episode having a significant point? So the songs and scene information are examples of gestus? I think i am confused because gestus is related to gestus i read somewhere.

Also a bit confused about acting for brecht. I think i get his techniques for practicing mixed up with what he used on stage. Actors had to remain distanced from characters right but I get confused about how they did this. Is it not using a lot of emotion or changing roles?

leetahl

HSC
hey drama gal!
gestus is utilized to allow the actor to disconnect themselves from the character they're playing by stepping out of the character to adress the audience.
it is a branch of verfrumdungs, or the alienation effkt Brecht uses.
hope i've helped. i can email you my essay on the life of galileo and the caucasian chalk circle if you want. im not sure if thats what your doing, but yeah..
goodluck!

Zacko

Hey, Im doing brect too (Mother Courage and The Caucasin Chalk Circle) Im pro at Brecht and I can help you with techniques. I shall post them later on here for you.

elewishughes

HSC
hi im doing threepenny opera and the caucasian chalk cirlce and i think im ok for CCC but threepenny opera is a little harder to fit in.
any tips?

forgottenskin

HSC
Personally...I can't be bothered to study this anymore. Curse you, Mother Courage.

phoebe.

HSC
Yeah there's a really good book entitled "TWENTIETH CENTURY VIEWS BRECHT" I must say it has everything you need in it.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)