• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Breadth Studies for 2009 Melbourne University Students (1 Viewer)

Joel8945

HSC
Hi Everyone,

I was accepted into my first preference (Bachelor of Science) and subject wise everything is ok. I'm going to do Physics 1 and Physics 2 (Physical Science and Technology) - Going to try and get into advanced physics, Calculus 2 and Linear Algebra, then I'm deciding whether to do engineering systems design or chemistry (loved chemistry but I'd like to see what engineering involves). Thats alright and then comes deciding breadth studies!!! This is really difficult because in VCE I only studied science and maths and I don't really know what breadth studies I should do. Is this the case for anyone? People who have chosen their breadth studies; how did you choose your breadth studies? Thanks in advance and well done to everyone who got an offer.

gcspsp

HSC
I think the whole point fo breadth units is to broaden your perspective...which should be irrelevant to what studies you undertook in VCE. Besides I dont think theres much choice in breadth, and plus the units you undertake in future years for breadth might require pre-reqs from previous years...yes?

H@wkeye!

HSC
From what i can gather about this Breadth stuff, is it's similar to a "general elective" cept that you can't do it in within your major area of study. In my first year (way back in 2003) I did 1 Psyc unit (which was a mistake...) while studying an econs degree. What i'd suggest, is think about a topic you're really interested in, and think u'd enjoy studying.

No doubt breadth units will be the same as most of your units in regards to the pre-reqs (cept if they're all 1st year units), but from what i can gather, you can do them from any facalty and in any topic. Personally, if i have to do them (only say this because i'll just 'redo' a uni from my History degree if i do) i'd do them in an area i know i'm interested in. ie. hist (wonder if holding a degree in that area will preclude me...)

MangoSquash

HSC
ahahah im in the same position, only did science/maths/i.t related subjects in vce, aswell as lit (got 29 - so as you can see im not an english person). doing major in chem, minor in maths

i did find one breadth study that is from the faculty of science, but is in the "land" category if i recall correctly. it was something about instrumental anaylsis which ties in with chemistry alot, however since your not doing chem as a major im guessing, it might not interest you.

goodluck to us =) hopefully tommorow might shed some good ideas

xcytu

HSC
Hi Everyone,

I was accepted into my first preference (Bachelor of Science) and subject wise everything is ok. I'm going to do Physics 1 and Physics 2 (Physical Science and Technology) - Going to try and get into advanced physics, Calculus 2 and Linear Algebra, then I'm deciding whether to do engineering systems design or chemistry (loved chemistry but I'd like to see what engineering involves). Thats alright and then comes deciding breadth studies!!! This is really difficult because in VCE I only studied science and maths and I don't really know what breadth studies I should do. Is this the case for anyone? People who have chosen their breadth studies; how did you choose your breadth studies? Thanks in advance and well done to everyone who got an offer.
ahahah im in the same position, only did science/maths/i.t related subjects in vce, aswell as lit (got 29 - so as you can see im not an english person). doing major in chem, minor in maths

i did find one breadth study that is from the faculty of science, but is in the "land" category if i recall correctly. it was something about instrumental anaylsis which ties in with chemistry alot, however since your not doing chem as a major im guessing, it might not interest you.

goodluck to us =) hopefully tommorow might shed some good ideas

I'm in the same boat! Lets hope tommorrow is going to help us with our subject selection because I'm very confused especially about the breadth subjects!!! I did maths/science in VCE as well so I guess I'll be picking a breadth subject that is related to the ones I'm majoring in..

MangoSquash

HSC
anyone figure out any good ideas?

i went to the science history and philsophy lectures, i guess that would be a last resort. I'd much rather not have to write essays and stuff though =/

greentsquare

HSC
anyone figure out any good ideas?

i went to the science history and philsophy lectures, i guess that would be a last resort. I'd much rather not have to write essays and stuff though =/
I recommend Creative Projects-Digital Technologies, it's under the Education faculty. Almost took it last year. Pretty hands-on, with all the activities on Multimedia.

Why not take a language? There's about 5 or 6 which have a Beginner's Level - French, German, Swedish, etc. And there's quite a few with an Intermediate and Post-VCE Stream.

There's also quite a few IT breadth subjects, although the more interesting ones are only offered in 2nd or 3rd year level.

Lots of people I know (especially the maths and science people) take up subjects that are commerce/business or law-related as these can be handy no matter what course they are in.

Surprisingly, there's actually quite a few 1st year breadth offered by the Music department like African Drumming, Music of the World, Shakuhachi Ensemble, etc. Best of all, NO prerequisites

Anyways, based on the undergraduate handbook there's quite a few. It's actually quite amazing to me that many Melbourne Model students find it hard to choose a breadth; for me, the problem was that I have too many interests and just 25 units a year at my disposal to pursue them. Well, hope this post helped.

Joel8945

HSC
... It's actually quite amazing to me that many Melbourne Model students find it hard to choose a breadth; for me, the problem was that I have too many interests and just 25 units a year at my disposal to pursue them. Well, hope this post helped.
I envy you!!!

Joel8945

HSC
At the moment I have chosen introduction to climate change and I'm deciding whether I should do from graffiti to terrorism or Finance 1. When I studied french at school (compulsory from year 7 - 9) I was so happy to have given up a language. A language is the last thing I want to study!!!

han-

HSC
I would recommend 316-102 Introductory Microeconomics. Its really interesting (trust me!). Helps you develop your ideas on economics stuff etc. The man who teaches it is an absolute legend. His 2nd sem sub i didn't take, but have only heard good things about. (800-116 Generating the Wealth of Nations)

I "unrecommend" (cannot think of the word for it) 800-101 Critical Thinking With Data, the subject is absolutely terrible and requires you to sit through three hours a week of "critical thinking" which is really just common sense. Also featuring in this subject is a week of normal and poisson distributions (although in a non-mathematical way). Its a pretty easy H1
https://app.portal.unimelb.edu.au/CSCApplication/view/2009/316-102

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
At the moment I have chosen introduction to climate change and I'm deciding whether I should do from graffiti to terrorism or Finance 1. When I studied french at school (compulsory from year 7 - 9) I was so happy to have given up a language. A language is the last thing I want to study!!!

Those are my two breadth subjects. they sounded pretty interesting to me. What are you looking to go into after doing science?

Joel8945

HSC
Those are my two breadth subjects. they sounded pretty interesting to me. What are you looking to go into after doing science?
Definately going into a graduate degree!!! I'm considering going into the MEng degree (I would have liked to have gone into chemical engineering but I can't give up physics - I love physics), I would also like to get an honours degree in maths or physics and become a university academic in either one of those! I have become extremely interested in quantum physics, nuclear physics and relativity (All those new ideas in physics), I have always wanted to look at things outside of what we did in class (Despite some of it is too hard to understand). The only thing is that people say that financially I wont be well off if I go into that area, but I am so interested in this aspect of science. Thats annoyingly confusing!!!

What are you wanting to study?

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
Definately going into a graduate degree!!! I'm considering going into the MEng degree (I would have liked to have gone into chemical engineering but I can't give up physics - I love physics), I would also like to get an honours degree in maths or physics and become a university academic in either one of those! I have become extremely interested in quantum physics, nuclear physics and relativity (All those new ideas in physics), I have always wanted to look at things outside of what we did in class (Despite some of it is too hard to understand). The only thing is that people say that financially I wont be well off if I go into that area, but I am so interested in this aspect of science. Thats annoyingly confusing!!!

What are you wanting to study?

I really enjoyed physics as well, but i was looking to go into medicine. So i've chosen biology, chem 1 and calculus 1 for first semester. i would have liked to choose physics though but yeah :(

gcspsp

HSC
I dropped physice after unit 3 in school, the electronics and magnetism shit was just plain boring and not to mention annoying. I can deal with physics as far as motion, force etc.

Joel8945

HSC
I dropped physice after unit 3 in school, the electronics and magnetism shit was just plain boring and not to mention annoying. I can deal with physics as far as motion, force etc.
I don't get that! You went into the bachelor of engineering whilst hating physics! I thought that engineering has a lot of physics in it? Is that true that physics principles are applied to real life situations in engineering?

gcspsp

HSC
thats why im sticking to chemical engineering mate! besides the worst i would have to endure in physics is force and motion (statics) which i can deal with! but with no offense...fuck electronics, light, radiation and magnetism is that specific order.

nick30790

HSC
thats why im sticking to chemical engineering mate! besides the worst i would have to endure in physics is force and motion (statics) which i can deal with! but with no offense...fuck electronics, light, radiation and magnetism is that specific order.
Sorry to dissapoint you, but all of those areas you mentioned above are heavily involved in chemistry- especially light and you would find at least some electronics (cells etc.). Just remeber in all branches of science you will find other branches mixed in, lol. And as for radiation, I would imagine you would have to have a very comprehensive understanding of this concept to do chemical engineering.

In terms of breadth, I am doing B.Sc, and I chose beginners German A for first semester and Making sense of America: U.S. Since 1945 for second semester. I just chose areas that I am interested in. Surely you guys must have interests outside science.:)

gcspsp

HSC
Sorry to dissapoint you, but all of those areas you mentioned above are heavily involved in chemistry- especially light and you would find at least some electronics (cells etc.). Just remeber in all branches of science you will find other branches mixed in, lol. And as for radiation, I would imagine you would have to have a very comprehensive understanding of this concept to do chemical engineering.

In terms of breadth, I am doing B.Sc, and I chose beginners German A for first semester and Making sense of America: U.S. Since 1945 for second semester. I just chose areas that I am interested in. Surely you guys must have interests outside science.:)
Not really...because then that would make it a physics subject. Cells and their reactions are not electronics...its electricity. As for radiation...just no, like I said...in depth involvement would make it a physics subject.

Yes Im doing Italian for both semesters, although I dont see myself continuing through second sem.

Do you plan to go ahead with the new gen pathway with your B.Sc? Personally I dont want to be staying in uni for another year. Did you get 95+ for your ENTER?

Joel8945

HSC
Force and motion is boring!!! Well I must say that centripetal forces were interesting, but I loved light, radiation and magnetism. My favourite part of VCE physics was our introduction into the quantum world. Learning that massless particles had momentum; light can behave as a particle or a wave; etc. Electronics was very interesting (despite being very hard). All the parts of physics you hate are the modern and interesting parts of physics. I love nuclear physics, particle physics and quantum physics! Studying tiny particles is my particular interest in physics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)