brazil?! (1 Viewer)

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
is brazil still using pure ethanol as a fuel? i've looked up many sources, some say the experiment has proven to be extremely expensive so they've abandoned it, but some say brazil's the only country who's using ethanol and petranol. can someone please clear this up for me?

rama_v

HSC

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
is brazil still using pure ethanol as a fuel? i've looked up many sources, some say the experiment has proven to be extremely expensive so they've abandoned it, but some say brazil's the only country who's using ethanol and petranol. can someone please clear this up for me?
Brazil experimented with ethanol in the late 20th century, but it proved to be uneconomical as distillation costs were too high and there were too much wastes, and the process required large amounts of land. Hence, it was abandoned. :)

rama_v

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Brazil experimented with ethanol in the late 20th century, but it proved to be uneconomical as distillation costs were too high and there were too much wastes, and the process required large amounts of land. Hence, it was abandoned. :)
Please read the article lol, 40% of cars in brazil still run on ethanol

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
rama_v said:
Please read the article lol, 40% of cars in brazil still run on ethanol
Not according to Conquering Chemistry. '-_-

I suppose that still counts as "abandoning the project" because they have completely replaced petrol with ethanol at one point.

HSC
I think its great to know this indepth information, especially for evaluate/assess questions of ethanol, you can sit there bragging about its renewable, but you can say its real life implementation was abanden in brazil
i wish i knew this! i thought they just used it totally (or at least taxi's what i read)

rama_v

HSC
Casmira said:
I think its great to know this indepth information, especially for evaluate/assess questions of ethanol, you can sit there bragging about its renewable, but you can say its real life implementation was abanden in brazil
i wish i knew this! i thought they just used it totally (or at least taxi's what i read)
Yeah, I would still stick to what the text book says even if its out of date, because most teachers wont know either :)

ITs just interesting to know that its being used in Brazil (at least in some places), and with the ever increasing price of petrol it suddenly seems a lot more viable

wanton-wonton

HSC
Casmira said:
For evaluate/assess questions, I reckon a two sentence conclusion on how you feel about it, or whatever, will be sufficient in answering the criteria of the verb.

EDIT* One sentence would be enough, I'd say.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
i don't trust conquering sometimes, even though it is an excellent textbook in many respects. for instance, just look at how they taught us to calculate cell potentials. the notation and everything is OLD.

edit: okay, so can i extrapolate from the information in this thread, that brazil HAS abandoned the experiment, but since a shitload of cars already run with engines specifically made for ethanol, they can't just get rid of all those cars - hence the old vehicles still run on ethanol, but new (especially imported) cars run on petrol?

Last edited:

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Well, if you're information is as new as 2004 then forget this:

In Brazil, my impression of the current situation is this: there are a few percent of cars still sold as ethanol cars. However, ethanol use is NOT being wiped out. Two reasons: ethanol/petrol engines, and a presently functioning ethanol industry in Brazil. The government won't try replacing everything again, but partial replacement is going to stay
Especially with the petrol prices at the moment, a resurgence is very possible.
If you believe Wikipedia, you can go have a look at a summary over there. Notice America also did some limited mixing of the two.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_fuel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)