• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Brazil is here to stay (1 Viewer)

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
After coming off a decade of steady growth and political stability, Brazil is poised to become one of the world's strongest (and most politically stable) economic superpowers, being well-situated to oversee trade with the rest of Latin America. Brazil is riding the current crisis well, and making aggressive moves for a larger slice of the IMF pie in light of America's regulatory failures.

So it comes as a bit of a shock to read that they just discovered an oil reserve off their coast that is bigger than all of Russia's put together and equivalent to Kuwait's (not including Brazil's already modest reserves!).

This means Brazil now has the 3rd largest oil reserves in the world, behind Saudi Arabia and Canada, and equal with Iraq and Iran.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/194d136a-ad35-11dd-971e-000077b07658.html

I wonder where this leaves Russia and the oil barons of the Middle East?

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Well, fucking imagine if Australia suddenly discovered a Russia worth of oil eh?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Energy crisis over. Thanks Obama!
spose they'll want something in the UN now
fuckers

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
BRIC now wins.

Game over.

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
Look what happens when a country focuses on themselves

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I reckon America will be all like, na guys, we've got it sorted on this continent, see ya till major war opens up further commerical opps
/slam shut/ whoop hell outta some latinos for a while, like the founding fathers intended

banco55

HSC
Brazil has been the next big thing since the 1950's. They'll find some way to screw it up. See Argentina in the 90's.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
All I know that it means cheaper petrol at the bowser for me, and im pretty grateful to Labor's contribution to that. Real steady pair of hands that Rudd
-Keeping fuel rates low

Iron insight: Pope will command they surrender it all to Vatican

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
at wat expense to rainforest?
It's in the ocean. Maybe it'll take some of the strain off biofuels and hence the rainforests.

And yeah, Brazil now wants veto power in the IMF.

banco55 said:
Brazil has been the next big thing since the 1950's. They'll find some way to screw it up. See Argentina in the 90's.
I doubt that, since they've had consistent growth for a decade now.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
at wat expense to rainforest?

they breed good formula one drivers
It's on the north eastern coast I believe.
I could be wrong though. It likely wont effect the environment/

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Old Nazi war dogs will burst from their Argentine villas in a frenzied race to claim the reserves before winter in an all or nothing gamble in which the world will hold its breath

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Iron said:
Old Nazi war dogs will burst from their Argentine villas in a frenzied race to claim the reserves before winter in an all or nothing gamble in which the world will hold its breath
lol

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Trefoil said:
It's in the ocean. Maybe it'll take some of the strain off biofuels and hence the rainforests.
Difficult to get to, and partly "owned" by BHP Billiton and others, I believe. However Brazil's partly-public company Petrobras will have the majority of it, and they dabble in renewables. They also sell unrefined crude. Interesting company.

A mate of mine (who is Brazilian) thinks that this will do interesting things for Brazilian/US relations :p

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Well, I imagine America will have to start sucking up to Brazil, since they are now the most politically stable major oil producer in the world besides Canada.

Between Canada, Brazil, and Obama's renewables, America would have absolutely no need for oil from Russia or the Middle East. If they play it right.

Which would severely weakens Russia and Iran's political power.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Trefoil said:
Well, I imagine America will have to start sucking up to Brazil, since they are now the most politically stable major oil producer in the world besides Canada.

Between Canada, Brazil, and Obama's renewables, America would have absolutely no need for oil from Russia or the Middle East. If they play it right.

Which would severely weakens Russia and Iran's political power.
hahaha hahahahaha hahahahahahahaha

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
sam04u said:
hahaha hahahahaha hahahahahahahaha
Either you're not aware that the main political strength of Russia and Iran is oil, or you're rocking back and forth trying to convince yourself it'll all be OK, and that any day now those courageous Muslim terrorists will destroy that evil, evil thing called democracy.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Surely it's unlikely that Europe will be freed from Russian oil and gas. They've got all those pipes man.

And yeah, US history in South America isnt exactly one of 'sucking up'. Send McCain over with the Navy and drill baby drill - neo-sucking up
Drug barons may just go legit. Who knows. I suspect this story is exaggerated anyway (i mean, there's nothing on drudge)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)