Brave new World, Would you live in it? (1 Viewer)

Whats "in the wild" refer to?

• a confused civilisation

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • hectic society

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • abnormal society

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • untamed society

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sumaya

I know, that huxley created BNW so that we hate it...and criticise it...and bla bla bla......:argue: but surprisingly I somehow think its more than that in our context because its found a strategic solution for world peace...so i can't help but give raw credit to its ingenius control structure..would i live in it..hmmm...well from my current position which allows me to be an individual;have civil rights...etc...no i wouldn't live in BNW..BUT there is a BUT....
the citizens of BNW don't know whats it like to have freedom of individuality..so does it really matter to them if they don't value it...so i think they have found their happiness..??..i don't know..but me give a shout on what you think:eek:

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
we live in an untamed society. Social standards are plumeting and general well being is turning into turmoil and chaos... How can we make it in this world if we are shot as soon as someone doesn't agree with our morals, ethics or thoughts... It's pretty sad.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I think, more than anything else, it seems a very boring world, as well as one which goes against the grain.

P.S What are social standards? :p

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Whose social standards?

The social standards that the writer subscribes to or perceives - that's whose!

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
uh.. none of the above, I think the elective statement makes it pretty clear really

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I would, because I like sex and drugs, so I'd be satisfied : )
(too tired to say anything intelligent)

Fido

i actually quite enjoyed in the wild... comparatively of course :p
it's really easy to just say "no i wouldn't want to live there", but i don't quite get why people are so against it. Obviously from out point of view the lack of physical, emotional and mental freedom seem fairly horrific, but with nothing to compare against, why would we find it negative, actually living there?
it's an interesting question though, in that it does make you question your values. for instance to say that the only purpose of life was happiness, for both the individual and those around them, to my mind works, however many people still look at brave new world and say happiness is not enough. to me the beauty of brave new world is that no one IS unhappy. those who don't fit in to the model of society either a) do so in a fairly minor way, and are controlled by soma, or b) do not fit in to such an extent that they begin to show it outwardly, in which case they get shipped off to the islands for free thinkers. to be honest i think this "punishment" sounds like a far better option than the mainstream.
to me the main deterrent from BNW is the lack of emotion. in our society today it is possible to "feel blank", especially during the HSC :|, and the prospect of a perpetual nothingness i find vaguely depressing. although at the time it would be perfectly pleasant, obviously. in making an informed decision i can't think of too many people who would choose BNW, but it seems silly to reject it on the basis of "it is an empty life" - surely you have to look at it through the perspective of an inhabitant, rather than our own context, to get any real idea of what it would be like. anywho, that's logically, anyway. emotional preference would be different.

KfWang

to take a quote out of the book:

John: "but i dont wnt comfort. I want God, i want poetry, i want real danger, i want freedom, i want goodness. I want sin"

"Im claiming the right to be unhappy"

i think that we, from our current point of view value our freedom too much for a world without personal choice. After all, how would we know pleasure without pain, or joy without sorrow?
But from the point of view of the people in this Brave New World, they do not know of such things, and so do not value them

and yes.. i did take that point out of my essay

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
im with KfWang
would u reallg ive up everything we have no just to have world peace?
or if u were one of the misfits.. would you be able to live in such a contrived society, it would drive me insaneee.
you wouldnt be able to appreciate anything, have you ever lay down on the floor on a clear night and starred at the stars? its gives u this feeling like ur at peace, and nothing in a bnw society would ever be able to give u that, except maybe soma.. but then again its artificial.
i spose if u didnt know any better it would be perfect. but if you knew... *shudder*

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
p.s. tho any society that has a sexual ritual named after me cant be all bad :D

Perhaps

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Fido
to me the beauty of brave new world is that no one IS unhappy. those who don't fit in to the model of society either a) do so in a fairly minor way, and are controlled by soma, or b) do not fit in to such an extent that they begin to show it outwardly, in which case they get shipped off to the islands for free thinkers. to be honest i think this "punishment" sounds like a far better option than the mainstream.
Ah, but the thing with that is, is that it's only the Alpha plus that get this "opportunity". What about the people that are Deltas or Gammas? That's what the real question is.

Many people say that they would like to live in BNW, but only consider living there from the perspective of an Alpha. What if you were told that you were to be a Delta for the rest of your life? Now, I guess there'll always be people that wouldn't mind that. Ignorance is bliss, right?

I wouldn't want that though.

As much as I hate all the characters in the book, I had to agree with that line said by John, that KfWang quoted.

I think that BNW is, essentially, a "prefect" society only in terms of mass consumerism and mass production. There's no other reason for it. It's a perfect economic society functioning on many different levels at the expense of free thought.

Interesting idea. But it makes me wonder then, what's the point?

Last edited:

Fido

With gammas and epsilons, it really does just come back to ignorance is bliss. They say it enough times in the book, they are *happy* in what they do. i must say i'm not terribly pro- deliberate retardation, actually i think its one of the more sick aspects of the book, but the reality of being an epsilon is essentially no different to being an alpha.
however, the point i DO agree with, is what is the point? its all mucho hypothetical and all, but i honestly see no point to that society. equally, what's the point of ours? aside from trashing the planet, obviously :p

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
There are two ways I could answer this question

- If I was concious of the fact that the outside world was what it is, and Brave New World is what it is, I would certainly would not live in Brave New World
- If I wasnt concious of it, the fact is, I would be living in paradise. The percieved paradise is all that conditioned me to believe it. Therefore I would be happy.

MoNNiE

HSC
i actually wouldn't mind living in brave new world, i will live in iceland ;P

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
ideally, i would claim the right to be unhappy

realistically, i would be a product of my conditioning. i'm not that exceptional.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)