Brave New World/Blade Runner help. (1 Viewer)

FINNY69

HSC
Assessment coming up,struggling a bit with it.Mainly because i don't listen enough in class lol.But,I've got ideas and that but I thought I'd see what some other people think.The essay question is;

"Using Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and Blade Runner by Ridley Scott,you will be asked about the ways in which different texts demonstrate the quality and importance of humanity's relationship with the natural world to it's response to the absence of the natural world.You will need to be able to compare similarities and differences of the two texts and offer suggestions as to how and why they differ"

I've thought the best way to go is to write about the themes and values obviously,the specific themes and values I was planning on including are;

Power and Control,or lack thereof
The Wild,obviously.
Religion
Consumerism
Conformity
Humanism,or lack thereof.

Am I on the right track?? Or have I completely misintepreted the question?

doink

Clone
HSC
Man Vs. Machine - In both there is a blur of the line between what is/isn't human and in BR the replicants are "more human than human"

Decay of Physical Environment - Distinct lack of nature in both and in BR it shows that without nature humanity cannot survive therefore all remaining humans are all physically maimed/scarred and in BNW they have to manufacture a new environment and the only nature left is desolate.

No ned to mention religion or conformity as it has nothing to do with question and make sure you back-up all relevant information with at least one technique and at least one quote, the more quotes + techniques the better and make sure you encorporate a thesis.

ccc123

HSC
FINNY69 said:
Assessment coming up,struggling a bit with it.Mainly because i don't listen enough in class lol.But,I've got ideas and that but I thought I'd see what some other people think.The essay question is;

"Using Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and Blade Runner by Ridley Scott,you will be asked about the ways in which different texts demonstrate the quality and importance of humanity's relationship with the natural world to it's response to the absence of the natural world.You will need to be able to compare similarities and differences of the two texts and offer suggestions as to how and why they differ"

I've thought the best way to go is to write about the themes and values obviously,the specific themes and values I was planning on including are;

Power and Control,or lack thereof
The Wild,obviously.
Religion
Consumerism
Conformity
Humanism,or lack thereof.

Am I on the right track?? Or have I completely misintepreted the question?
But wait, why would you discuss all them when the Q is not asking you to?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
uhhm theyre similar because they portray dystopic futures
they differ because of context.

this is just a paraphrasing of last years hsc q im fairly sure

MrMenzies

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
uhhm theyre similar because they portray dystopic futures
they differ because of context.

this is just a paraphrasing of last years hsc q im fairly sure
i think there's a huge arguement for BNW not being dystopic. Living conditions are next to perfect for all, most are perfectly happy, everyone is healthy; most live their entire lives youthfully and all of the society is entirely stabile.
I think the reasons for it being dystopic are far more out dated now then when it was written, (I mainly mean the lack of religion which was so outragous in the it's original context), the only possible dystopic feature is the apparant lack of freedom. Even then it is free thought which is not encouraged, freedom to do what you wish is perfectly fine, it's just that they have been conditioned to do what society wishes.
And even if you do go against their wishes you get sent to an island where everyone else is free to do as they please, and think what they wish. So really, if you were born into that society tomorrow you would either lead a perfectly happy and healthy life or reject they're views and be sent to where your views are accepted instead.
Any society where someone could wish to live isn't really a dystopia by definition surely?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)