Brave new world assesment (1 Viewer)

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
hmmm i thought i would post it so people could see a possible question for in the wild and also so people can help me because i have no effing idea.

TASK:

As a reporter for a science magazine, you have traveled to both AF 632 and Los Angeles 2019.

You need to write a feature article about the way advances in technology have affected the lives of the inhabitants of these places and their relationship with the natural world.

The articles audience is adults in the year 2003.

bung

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
It looks quite straight forward. You just do what the question asks you to do; look at the way advances in technology have affected the lives of the inhabitants of both the places/times and their supposed relationship with the natural world.

AF 632 shows quite the sterlised environment whereas Los Angeles looks like more of an industralised/factory based/aesthetically unappealing environment.

Then just take the idea of "In the Wild" and incorporate it with how the humans/inhabitants of that certain society and their relationship with nature is/has been affected.

There are a lot of quotes scattered in the book as well.

"What man has joined, nature is powerless to put asunder." - pg 18
"A love of nature keeps no factories busy." - pg 19

In BNW - stability is norm, but in nature nothing is stable as the world is constantly changing. The other unnatural aspect suppressed is that all loyalty is to the state i.e. there is no loyalty to individuals or family.

Men in technological society - understanding of how and why things work become less and less. People become dependant on machines/gadgets and lose the connection to the basics which could be equalled to the natural world.

Examples of 2 different views to nature: page 53 and 80-81

Last edited:

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
whoa thanks for the detailed response

what i'm confused about tho is the empathy side... am i suppoesd to describe my time travelling and make up a short description of my technology? am i supposed to be a bit funny?

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Haha, nps.

Umm, I'm not sure. I recall writing a similar essay, but that was 2 years ago. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to write "well, my fancy smancy rocket-doobie-laucher 2nd edition got me to AF 632" or something more imaginative; but I think the focus is more on how their (societies) technology is affecting them and nature, rather than what fancy timetravel component you use :p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by mlagana
what i'm confused about tho is the empathy side... am i suppoesd to describe my time travelling and make up a short description of my technology? am i supposed to be a bit funny?
Keep in mind that you're writing a feature article for a science magazine - half of what you'll be assessed on will relate to how well your style of writing fits with the type of text. Feature articles are generally fairly subjective, with varying sentence lengths, voraciously employing wit and puns and so on whilst also being critical of and detailing a particular topic or issue.

With regard to describing your time travelling; it might be nice, because a feature article should help a story 'come alive' for the reader, but be careful that you don't spend too much time on it, as it doesn't answer the question.

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
i seee. but because i'm actually going to these places, i can't really quote the book can i?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by mlagana
i seee. but because i'm actually going to these places, i can't really quote the book can i?
You can quote dialogue from characters as though you spoke to them, and quote scenery or descriptions as though you saw them yourself...

You still have to include quotations somehow. :)

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
do i have to quote bladerunner? its a movie! how can you quote something thats moving

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
The same way you quote anything else .. think child :)

*plays eerie music*

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
and when i quote should i like put those two squigley lines on either side?

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
hehe u know i was being sarcastic for asking so many questions...

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I was going to ramble on about referencing, then I remembered that they don't give a shit in the HSC. OMG I'm such a weirdo :p

*runs off*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)