Braggs Experiment (1 Viewer)

Little Rose

I'm trying to find some info on Braggs experiment with the x-rays and crystals, but some books have too much info and some don't have enough. So i was wondering if someone could help. Please.

Thanks,

kini mini

HSC
Welcome to the forum and board Little Rose :)

Which textbooks have you tried so far? I remember using Surfing and Jacaranda on this point, I can't remember anything about it unfortunately.

There is a very nice site here run by Cambridge University if I'm not mistaken. The explanations are quite lucid.

edit - typo

Last edited:

^___^
HSC
is this got to do with how to work out the atomic structure by beaming x-rays into it and somehow when the waves hit an atom, the wave bounces out and goes into a phtographic material......and by observing this photo, u can work out the structure?

correct me if i am wrong

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
its by comparing the interference patterns with the angle of the projected light. let @ be the angle of max constructive interference, d=n(wavelength)/sin@ i think it was from memory

kini mini

HSC
Bragg's Law
An X-ray which reflects from the surface of a substance has travelled less distance than an X-ray which reflects from a plane of atoms inside the crystal. The penetrating X-ray travels down to the internal layer, reflects, and travels back over the same distance before being back at the surface. The distance travelled depends on the separation of the layers and the angle at which the X-ray entered the material. For this wave to be in phase with the wave which reflected from the surface it needs to have travelled a whole number of wavelengths while inside the material. Bragg expressed this in an equation now known as Bragg's Law:

When n is an integer (1, 2, 3 etc.) the reflected waves from different layers are perfectly in phase with each other and produce a bright point on a piece of photographic film. Otherwise the waves are not in phase, and will either be missing or feint.

Bragg compared his new equation with the results that von Laue's group had published. His explanation seemed far more satisfying than von Laue's, as it didn't require that only certain wavelengths be present.

In one experiment, the group in Germany had rotated the crystal by 3 degrees. The resulting X-ray diffraction pattern had moved by 6 degrees. This is the expected angle if the rays were reflecting off the crystal, so confirming Bragg's theory that the diffraction could be considered as reflection from planes in the crystal.

The most satisfying result was on von Laue's photograph of diffraction from zincblende crystals. Von Laue had assumed that atoms in zincblende are arranged in a simple cubic lattice, but if this was true Bragg's Law wouldn't explain the diffraction pattern. But if the arrangement of atoms was slightly different, arranged in a face centred cubic lattice, the diffraction pattern was explained perfectly.

Not only did Bragg's Law work, but it could be used to work out how atoms are arranged inside a solid crystal!

To examine the reflection of X-rays from crystals at various angles, Bragg's father developed the X-ray spectrometer in Leeds. X-rays were passed through slits to produce a narrow beam, which fell on a crystal at the centre of the spectrometer. The reflected beam was then measured in an ionisation chamber, finding the strength as well as direction of reflected beams.

By changing the angle of the incident X-rays, W.H. Bragg measured the reflections at different angles from the faces of the crystal. He found that very strong reflections occured at certain angles. These strong reflections depended on the spacing of the planes of atoms inside the crystal, according to his son Bragg's Law. By measuring all the angles at which strong reflections occurred, the Braggs worked out the arrangement of individual atoms inside the crystals.

W.H. Bragg continued to study X-rays and improve the X-ray spectrometer, while his son Lawrence analysed the arrangements of atoms inside different crystals. Together they created the science of X-ray crystallography.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
lol.. prolli not.. it's a "describe" dot point.
prolli enuf to say
"the braggs used x-ray crystallography to determine the structure of metals. x-rays were used because the wavelength of an x-ray is similar to the distance between atoms in the lattice.
x-rays were shone at a crystal, and the reflected rays were caught on photographic film. the rays were reflected from adjacent atomic planes in the crystal lattice, so formed interference patterns.
by examining the interference patterns, the braggs worked out the structure of atoms in the lattice; (insert formula from kini mini's diagram); and also that atoms are so close together that their valence orbits overlap."

kurotenshi

ssssooooo... just know what's the main parts are and be able to draw that diagram???

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
kurotenshi... i really can't see them asking for any more than that... if they shock me, i'm relying heavily on my bs skills. and as for the diagram, i'm no artist either.

mojako

HSC
kini_mini,
If I put a crystal in the path where X-rays travel, will the rays bounce back to the source (i.e. reflected) or pass through the crystal?
My Jacaranda textbook shows that the rays pass through the crystal, but yet there's another diagram where the rays are reflected from the planes of the crystal (I'm sure you've seen this). And to add confusion, the reflected rays are parallel to each other, so how do they combine and interfere?
I'm really confused on this point.
Thanks in advance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)