Bracelets (1 Viewer)

glittergal96

HSC
How many distinct bracelets can you make out of a string and beads of colour k for k=1,2,...,m?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
are beads of same colour identical ?
I think m different colours: colour 1, colour 2, colour 3, ..., colour m.

And the number of beads of colour k is .

And every bead is identical in shape/size etc.

I think this problem was solved by Pólya?

glittergal96

HSC
I think m different colours: colour 1, colour 2, colour 3, ..., colour m.

And the number of beads of colour k is .

And every bead is identical in shape/size etc.

I think this problem was solved by Pólya?
I am not sure if this particular question was solved by Pólya, but he did a lot of stuff in this area. I just made this one up, but it has almost certainly been asked and answered before.

This isn't quite the same question, the theorem you link provides a formula for the number of n-bead bracelets from m colours, assuming we have plenty of each.

My question has a finite number of beads of each colour, and asks you to count all bracelets you can make using all of these beads. This is less than the total number of m coloured bracelets with n beads.

That's the right way to think about the problem though (counting orbits of group actions), I used Burnside's lemma which is just a stones throw away from the unweighted version of your linked theorem.

By the way, the resulting answer will not be in closed form, there will be summations involved.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
The coincidence that I saw something very similar to this (Pólya stuff) in a combinatorics book yesterday at Kinokuniya.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)