Boyfriend/Girflriend During HSC. Is that good or bad? (1 Viewer)

shoegal1490

HSC
Is having a girlfriend/boyfriend during the last 2 years of high school worth it. Is it bad coz: you get distracted.... orr is it good: coz you have somebody to vent to and get distracted by.

What do you guys reckon... I mean we most probably are going to break up with them neway.. is running the risk of a partner.. worth it?

SweetSeasons

HSC
it's only the HSC.. it's not the be all and end all.. I would say developing relationship skills and learning how to have a ballanced life is more important then focusing soley on one set of exams.

goosiegoo

HSC
It depends on how much you work and how you handle the work. And the type of boyfriend/girlfriend you have. Most people could manage having one in Yr 11... but in Yr 12, especially toward the end of year 12 it would be harder.
It really depends, i, for example, am flat out with work at the moment and i only really get time to do work and when i'm not working i sleep.. or relax. If i had a boyfriend that was really needy and needed to see me all the time it wouldn't work at the moment.
But thats just me.

I know someone who's long term girlfriend broke up with them a few days before the HSC. It didn't turn out very well for them.

T

Testpilot

Another one of these threads. Please use the search function. Make the decision for yourself after considering whats important to you and considering your specific situation.

morganforrest

HSC
GOOOOD...especially when she got 99.4 last year, is doing advanced engineering at USYD, did all the same subjects as you and gives you all her notes and helps you with shit and is all round amazing....lol I am so lucky

But seriously, if you have a significant other who is understanding of when you need to work and can give you the space, it will help you develop a balanced lifestyle. There needs to be more to life than just the HSC!!!

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
probably works better if you're both doing it at the same time.
it's neither good or bad really. I dont know.

sebcat100

HSC
the hsc is important there is no argument against that. though if ur only aim is focused on ur uai then obviosly there is no room for a bf/gf. but then again everyone has to take into account that life itself is not directly focused on the destination, but rather the journey, experiences whatever prior to that destination..... so if a bf or gf sounds like the right thing, let it be, and work ur studies around it

morganforrest

HSC
sebcat100 said:
the hsc is important there is no argument against that. though if ur only aim is focused on ur uai then obviosly there is no room for a bf/gf. but then again everyone has to take into account that life itself is not directly focused on the destination, but rather the journey, experiences whatever prior to that destination..... so if a bf or gf sounds like the right thing, let it be, and work ur studies around it
JOURNEY!!!!

Fuck off and die, you've been doing too much english

Maddy1012

HSC
morganforrest said:
JOURNEY!!!!

Fuck off and die, you've been doing too much english
omg, i completely agree.. i felt like i was reading an english essay then hahaha. About the consequences of your actions and all that... BAH.. BURNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN english. :burn:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Kids.

If you can't deal with a boyfriend or girlfriend during the HSC how are you going to deal in the real world (which believe it or not is just as hard, if not harder)? Better to figure out how to juggle everything now instead of later.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
it's only distracting if you allow it.. you just need to make sure you study thats all -shrug-

2sense

The disorderly drunk
HSC
JFK said:
Wrong.

Uni is a fuckload harder than the HSC. Even a moron would soak up all the information your fed what with spending 40 hours a week doing it.

If you can't manage a relationship during the HSC, or if you're asking the advice of an INTERNET FORUM instead of actually doing what feels natural

a) you're taking the HSC too seriously
b) you're unfathomably stupid, do a trade.
Dont' listen to a guy who died years ago. He never even did the HSC.

eeeman

Banned
HSC
having a bf/ gf is fun if you can make them moan like a moose

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
It depends on your goals and abilities and no 'post-HSC' is not necessarily a lot more stressful than the HSC itself. When you're in uni, for most courses, you only need mediocre marks to get a job - with the HSC you need good marks to get into most courses which are worth doing. That is the difference.

If you can handle it, by all means go for it. If you can't, it won't kill you to put it off for a year. Let me reiterate, if you're not going for an academic position, you'll only need crap marks in uni to get a job (in most fields) so the 'real world' isn't more stressful than the HSC.

Edit: A teaching position is not an 'academic' position. Teachers are glorified baby sitters who possess the ability to feign knowledge but usually don't have a deep understanding of what they are teaching. I mean ffs you'll probably land a teaching position simply because you can speak, not because you know anything. Academics on the other hand are usually researchers who actually know what they are talking about.

Last edited:

SweetSeasons

HSC
SweetSeasons said:
it's only the HSC.. it's not the be all and end all.. I would say developing relationship skills and learning how to have a ballanced life is more important then focusing soley on one set of exams.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

P.S
I am going to be a teacher.. I half feel like I know what I'm talking about when it comes to this..

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Anonymou5 said:
Edit: A teaching position is not an 'academic' position. Teachers are glorified baby sitters who possess the ability to feign knowledge but usually don't have a deep understanding of what they are teaching. I mean ffs you'll probably land a teaching position simply because you can speak, not because you know anything. Academics on the other hand are usually researchers who actually know what they are talking about.
You've obviously had some very shit teachers.

I agree that academics know what they're talking about but so do teachers, I've had a lot of teachers who, when quizzed randomly, know quite a great deal about subjects they teach.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
JFK said:
I know a lot about pita bread and I'm not even lebanese.
I'm talking about a few English teachers with whom I had some lively debates about modernist writers in year 12 when that was completely outside of the syllabus they were teaching as well as a history teacher of mine knowing absofuckinglutely everything about Europe from the first World War to the second. She could quote historians verbatim, knew dates off my heart and was extremely well versed in the ideals/motives behind the events of the times.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Perhaps you were lucky and had some good teachers? But I would find it very hard to believe that most teachers are like that. A good teacher isn't simply one who is liked by their students - that is the bare minimum and is really the sole basis upon which teachers are selected (in general).

A good teacher is someone who knows the syllabus inside out, has a working knowledge of exams and their trends and also has a very broad knowledge of related subjects. For example, a good grade 12 maths should have a very strong grasp of upper end undergraduate maths, not just maths from the high school syllabus. But this is off topic and I'll leave it at that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)