• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Boy, was that a waste of time... (1 Viewer)

wanton-wonton

HSC
Having completed my HSC some time ago, I can now confidently say that HSC (as well as Preliminary) Chemistry was not only a pain in the ass to study, as you would agree, but also a waste of time, considering I'm not using it at uni anymore.

Anyway, to all you 06er's, rote learning is the way to go (I use the term loosely). Question less, memorise more. :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Rote learning is a way of learning without grasping the deeper info of the subject and instead just focusing on just memorising the material and regurgitating it without any real understanding at all in a test or exam. Usually the info is recalled exactly the way it was memorised too.

Dragie

HSC
Is that really possible for any of the sciences? If you wanna do well don't you need to understand it on a deeper level...?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Of course you should understand it all to do well! :D Rote learning isn't even learning at all, it's just memorising everything to regurgitate in tests, which is a very bad thing.

Last edited:

Dragie

HSC
Hahaha damn you Wanton! Giving false info to little, naive and impressionable 06ers :p

rama_v

HSC
If you do a science course in uni that requires any chem then make sure you understand the concepts very well, as it makes it much easier when you get to uni. Don't rote learn anything that you will need in later studies :)

H

housemouse

Rote learning is mad, I roted learned Production and Acidic Environment in 2 weeks.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
housemouse said:
Rote learning is mad, I roted learned Production and Acidic Environment in 2 weeks.
Then you'll do ok, but not fantastically well.

stargaze

HSC
Haha sif man... I'm doing a fair bit of all the sciences (at around HSC level) at uni at the moment - chemistry included.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)