BoS trials Maths and Chemistry 2020 (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Sick of doing standard repetitive questions and want some good practice for the harder questions in the HSC exams?

Want to do a practice paper for the new syllabus under simulated exam conditions in preparation for your HSC?

Know someone at school who is a gun at HSC maths and/or HSC chemistry?

It is that time of year again! This year, Bored of Studies will be holding trial exams for:

Mathematics Extension 1 (with new syllabus material!)
Mathematics Extension 2 (with new syllabus material!)
Chemistry (for the first time ever!)

These are aimed at students seeking a challenging paper that will push their limits and test how well they really know their stuff. The exams have been designed by our team maintaining a high standard of challenging questions, whilst still remaining within the bounds of the new HSC syllabus.

They will interest you, challenge you and show you ways of thinking for certain topics that you may not have considered before (which will be very handy for the actual HSC exam!). Students who have taken these trial exams in previous years can attest to this.

Students will sit the examination under supervised exam conditions. A team of markers will then mark the responses and post the results on this forum in due course, along with sample solutions.

Note: Students who may be worried about losing motivation (due to results) are reminded that this is NOT intended to be an accurate reflection of the difficulty of the HSC. The questions are made to be as closely styled as possible to the HSC exams (see previous papers), but this will be your last chance to practice a full exam as close to HSC conditions as possible.

1) Time and place for Maths exams
Mathematics Extension 2
Friday 9th of October
10:00am - 1:10pm

Mathematics Extension 1
Friday 9th of October
2:30pm - 4:40pm
Sydney Centre of Mathematics/Sigma Science Education
Suites 1-2 Level 1
21 Argyle Street, Parramatta 2150

About a 5 minute walk from Parramatta station
1601463311074.png

2) Time and place for Chemistry exam (please be aware of the different location to the Maths exams)
Chemistry
Monday 12th of October

1.30pm - 4.35pm
Talent 100 Chatswood Learning Centre
Level 5 North Tower
1/5 Railway Street, Chatswood 2067

About a 5 minute walk from Chatswood station
1601464401971.png

Target audience
It is highly recommended that students attempting the papers are around (or at least aiming for) the band 6 or band E4 range. The exams will very thoroughly examine your understanding of different topics, but more importantly your ability to apply this to solving problems under exam conditions.

What to bring
The usual materials allowed for the HSC exams, including pen and calculator. Exam writing booklets will be provided on the day, where applicable.

Cost
We kindly ask that you each donate just $5 (cash) to partially cover our printing costs. If you are doing multiple papers you only need to pay once. The rest comes out of our own pockets. Contrary to what you might hear, we are actually NOT paid to put the time and resources into designing the paper and marking your responses. It is purely out of our passion to offer you guys something unique and valuable for your studies.

COVID-safe environment
This year we need to do things slightly differently in light of the current pandemic situation. Whilst it is encouraging to see that case numbers are relatively low in NSW, we will still be taking the relevant precautions.

On the exam day(s):
• Students will be seated further apart than usual, in line with physical distancing rules
• Students must register their name and contact details (e.g. mobile number) on the day for the purposes of potential contact tracing (similar to how it is done in some restaurants and cafes)
• General hygiene is strongly encouraged, especially cleaning up after yourself
• Students are welcome to wear face masks if they feel more comfortable doing so

If you are feeling unwell or have been directed to isolate by NSW Health, please stay at home and let me know that you are unable to attend.

How to register
Please send me a private message (here or click on "Start a new conversation" on my profile) stating the following:
• Name
• School
• Which exam(s) you will be sitting (Maths Ext1, Maths Ext2, Chemistry)
• How you first found out about this event
Note that we do have a registration cap of 40 people for each exam, so get in quick!

If you wish to invite some friends (which I encourage provided they fit the recommended target audience described above), you may register on their behalf by providing their details as well. If you know anybody who is ‘beast’ at Mathematics and/or Chemistry, I ask that you link them to this page. We want to put the best people in the state up against each other for this exam. Consider it a challenge from us.

If you do not have an account, I encourage you to make one (it's free!).

Once you have registered, you will receive a student number to confirm your registration. Keep this student number with you for each exam. You can use it to track your results when I put the marks online (only the student number and marks will be shown). You are only registered when I have replied with your student number.

Past exams and solutions
Since this is the first year for Chemistry, unfortunately we do not have any past papers for your reference.

For Maths, we do have past papers since 2012 to give you an idea of what to expect. Keep in the mind that whilst the syllabus is new this year, the majority of the questions in those papers are still relevant to the current syllabus. Feel free to use them as preparation for this year's paper or just practice in general.

Mathematics Advanced (2013-2015 only)

Mathematics Extension 1

Mathematics Extension 2

Look forward to seeing you there! :)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I recommend this to anyone. It was great when I did it!

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Thanks to everyone who has registered so far! Some good news to add. Given the higher than expected demand we have received for the Chemistry exam, we have secured another room from the venue (with physical distancing of course). This means we will lift the Chemistry exam registration cap from 20 to 40 (in line with the Maths exams)!

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Hi all,

Thanks again to those who have registered so far!

If anyone who has registered is no longer able to attend, please notify me as soon as possible so I can free up more spots for others who can make it. We are still accepting registrations for now but we are getting close to the registration cap.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Another update. We have just hit our registration cap for all exams!

Any new registrations from now on will be placed on the reserve list. Should any spaces be freed up, I will let you know and ask you to re-confirm your registration.

As mentioned in my earlier post, if you are currently registered and can no longer attend one or more exams please inform me as soon as possible so I can allocate the vacancy to those on the reserve list.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Another update. We have just hit our registration cap for all exams!

Any new registrations from now on will be placed on the reserve list. Should any spaces be freed up, I will inform you about your successful registration.

As mentioned in my earlier post, if you are currently registered and can no longer attend one or more exams please inform me as soon as possible so I can allocate the vacancy to those on the reserve list.
Seems like the registration capped really early this year as opposed to other years.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Any idea how soon after the exams will the papers become available for those who didn't sit them under exam conditions?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Just a reminder the Maths exams are on tomorrow at Parramatta!

On the day, you will be required to provide your mobile details (for potential contact tracing purposes). Please respect and observe distancing rules. Mask wearing is highly encouraged (though not required). If you are feeling unwell or have been directed to isolate by NSW Health, please stay at home and let me know that you are unable to attend.

If you are no longer able to attend the Chemistry exam at Chatswood on Monday, please also let me know as soon as possible as there are some people on the reserve list.

Look forward to seeing you there!

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Thanks to all those that attended today for the Maths BoS trial exams! Hope you guys found the papers challenging and interesting. :p

Massive thanks to the rest of the team who helped put the questions and paper together (Paradoxica, sharky564, jjlim7, RealiseNothing, Kingom to name a few). Also thanks to Carrotsticks, RealiseNothing and Fizzy_Cyst for giving us the venue.

Please find the papers attached (fixed some typos). There may still be typos, so feel free to call them out for us to consider.

We will begin the process of solution writing and marking the papers and will aim to get them out in due course before your HSC exam. We would appreciate your patience as this will take time to get through and write up (especially given we had more attendees than last year).

If you want any hints/guides/answers to specific questions right now or just want to discuss the paper feel free to post in this thread. Were there any questions you particularly liked or want to know how to do?

Attachments

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks to all those that attended today for the Maths BoS trial exams! Hope you guys found the papers challenging and interesting. :p

Massive thanks to the rest of the team who helped put the questions and paper together (Paradoxica, sharky564, jjlim7, RealiseNothing, Kingom to name a few). Also thanks to Carrotsticks, RealiseNothing and Fizzy_Cyst for giving us the venue.

Please find the papers attached. There may still be typos, so feel free to call them out for us to consider.

We will begin the process of solution writing and marking the papers and will aim to get them out in due course before your HSC exam. We would appreciate your patience as this will take time to get through and write up (especially given we had more attendees than last year).

If you want any hints/guides/answers to specific questions right now or just want to discuss the paper feel free to post in this thread. Were there any questions you particularly liked or want to know how to do?
Dam the 3u paper literally looks like another 4u paper.

Anyway how'd it go to those to attended?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
For the MX1 paper, Q14(a)(ii) includes an instruction to use part (ii)... I am guessing this should say to use part (i)?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
A small handful of spots have opened up for the Chemistry exam from people withdrawing their registrations.

If you are interested in attending, please let me know as soon as possible.

Likewise, if you are no longer able to attend please let me know as well.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Hey, I meant someone‘s own personal solutions that they have wrote.
Pending someone giving that, feel free to name a handful of specific questions you want to know the answer to and we can provide a brief outline of the solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)