BOS Showcase: 2009 Major Works (1 Viewer)

zeppelinqueen12

HSC
Where is it buddy? I want to find it so I can say something witty to Emma Schadel!

Go to bed, Clifford! We are getting Extension 1 back tomorrow, are we not?

We need our rest to prepare for the onslaught....

Ekoolish's is on Page 6.

Asubmarine

HSC
Just read ASubmarine's.

Love it. Love poetry, love how you write poetry.

I think the reason I love Water/Sounds so much is because you write in a way I have always aspired to write. I adore writers who can say so much in so few words. Unlike myself, whipping out the theasurus at every opportunity and overcomplicating everything.

Love it. You have a masterful way with language.

Some phrases, I can tell, will stay with me for a long time

"Long shadows
falling down the burnt sun.
Fly rests on my glasses."

"If this cream lily
could express itself
its beauty would be lost."
Really glad you enjoyed it. :)

I'll prob get round to having a look at yours and some others tomorrow afternoon.

Clifford

HSC
Diametric, I want to do it full justice, so I'll read through it tomorrow. As stated by Zeppelin, I've gotta go to sleep. Plus I've bummed here all day. Tomorrow afternoon you will be greeted with a comment!

jess39

HSC
Beautiful. Amazing!

Having read both your major work and reflection statement, I feel inspired. I have always loved English in general, creative writing especially. Over my preliminary and HSC years, however, a change has come over me which led me further towards my passion for maths and science. Reflecting back, I feel a slight sense of remorse. Reading your major work reminded me of the emotional journey one experiences upon creating and exploring an incredibly sculptured piece of writing. I just want to thank you for sharing this, and for re-igniting my love of creativity! I really must read for leisure more often...

All the best - I know you will get a fantastic mark =)
Aw, thank you. That is so great to hear. Read! Read a lot! lol.

diametric

HSC
Diametric, I want to do it full justice, so I'll read through it tomorrow. As stated by Zeppelin, I've gotta go to sleep. Plus I've bummed here all day. Tomorrow afternoon you will be greeted with a comment!
Thanks, I'll be waiting (though I should be studying :bomb:) Goodluck with ext 1.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
lols i like to thank the people that liked my work cause my teacher hated mine and said it was a piece of contrived shit that lacks humour and will not please my target audience or establish my concept to them. So to you guys i'd like to say THANK YOU. To my teacher i would like to say FUCK YOU ASSHOLE SEE IT DOES APPEAL AND MATCHES MY AUDIENCE PERFECTLY.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Ekoolish:

Be proud, my friend, be extremely proud. Yours is the only Critical Response I have ever read that sustained my interest throughout the whole thing.

I think it was because, often, with CR's, the language is so overbearingly professional that my poor, imagination-oriented brain can't handle it. You wrote with flair, while making the language accessible.

I love Agatha Christie. I look forward to reading a next one with a degree of critical understanding!

"Through her characterisation she subverted the themes of global turbulence, agitation and measured violence in order to manufacture a completely adverse environment. Her fruition in relation to the minds of human beings allowed her to emulate contemporary crime novels before they were even conceptualised."

Well done.
Haha, thanks a lot. Yeah, i read the course notes going back five years and they consistently stated that too many students tried to overdo language choice, yet they also state that a sophisticated grasp over language is needed. So it's really hard getting that balance write.

Yeah, Agatha Christie's novels are great, the Major Work was a good excuse to read more of them.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I want more poetry, dammit.
Give me more poetry.

PS- want to again thank everyone who has said kind things about my MW. your validation is just what i needed :)

Last edited:

Asubmarine

HSC
ahah yeah that's exactly what i'm thinking. Everyone from the poet's thread should def be posting theirs

Edit: haha EE2 and mixed up "theres"

Last edited:

Asubmarine

HSC
mmm I think it'd partly be that. I think the smaller number doing poetry than stories is probably the main factor though.

six demon bag

HSC
Just finished reading yours! I liked the whole concept, the thought of a psychologist who counsels others but really doesn't know anything about her own life and well-being, which people often say of real psychologists. It's interesting and I liked it even more because of my own interest in psychology. You described the beginning quite well, something which I at first thought seemed a bit tedious, but I liked the small details, especially the carpet and stain on the wall, haha. It sounds something like what I'd imagine myself to be like if I became a cranky old psychologist who lived alone. Just not the going mad and living on the street bit. Hopefully. As I was reading it, Anna kept reminding me more of myself... which is really creepy. Maybe some weird sign for my future? Though that got a bit unnerving as she finally cracked and went insane. I don't think I'm that... crazy.

There were one or two typos. I read your RS and it sounded a bit narratative, but I think you did say that you weren't too happy with it or something? It's not bad though. I must admit, the lengthy descriptions throughout got tedious at times and her life seemed very boring, but then again that was the point, wasn't it? So you did quite well in expressing the monotony of her life. Haha, I think someone else said this before but I thought the narrator was a man! Then I was like, wait, it's a girl!? lol. The ending was so depressing though! Like she just went around in circles. But again, this was your aim so the effect melded really quite well with this.

"Something that I only ever assumed my heart agreed with" --> I really like that line. Not sure why. It's kind of poetic, in a way. :)

Anyway, I liked your concept and wish you all the best come December! :)
Yeah there's quite a few problems with it but - it's done now! haha. I haven't been able to read your's because I'm on my brother's computer and he keeps wanting to facebook but I promise I'll get back to you soon! thanks heaps for feedback.

six demon bag

HSC
I'm a little bit into your's accio and it's beautifully written. It's so descriptive and lovely. I like the Bright Eyes reference too :) I love how it keeps coming back to quotes too - it works so well. I actually can't stop reading - this is beautiful. you show the characters' emotions so well.
"This house is my father’s and my father is this house." I love that. I love the recurring "dark red curls". Flows beautifully - I kepp using that word! I couldn't stop reading it - i just finished then. I love how subtly but effectivley you expressed the message. The whole story was just wonderful - I loved it. I think you'll get fantastic marks - you deserve them!

I haven't read your reflection statement yet, but I will have by Tuesday - I'll feedback you on that too :)

Your story is wonderful.

E

Empyrean444

thanks accio.
did you read the RS as well, cause thats the one im worried about? most people's seem a helluva lot better.

i started reading yours last night when i was already sleepy. ill finish it off tonight and get back to you.
Your RS well-demonstrated the 'systematic' nature of your research which I think made it quite strong (something I do not believe I achieved). As for your actual story, I enjoyed the way in which it was allusively bound to biblical terms/refs/mythos. Very impressive. I also liked the way in which Lucifer was also placed in parallel beside 'man' himself (and not some much through the placement of his soul in a mortal body, but by the whole experience of his condition; e.g. "gates of the garden" as a (presupposed) allusion to Eden). Interesting shift in Satan's character from that of Milton's epic as well (for example, from my reading of the first section of him, willingness to sacrifice his present pride for the potential of greater ultimate pride). I got a little lost when the "Lucifer/Lilith" sequencing was first broken; but it began and ended strongly, which is paramount to it's overall strength.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Ekoolish:

Be proud, my friend, be extremely proud. Yours is the only Critical Response I have ever read that sustained my interest throughout the whole thing.

I think it was because, often, with CR's, the language is so overbearingly professional that my poor, imagination-oriented brain can't handle it. You wrote with flair, while making the language accessible.

I love Agatha Christie. I look forward to reading a next one with a degree of critical understanding!

"Through her characterisation she subverted the themes of global turbulence, agitation and measured violence in order to manufacture a completely adverse environment. Her fruition in relation to the minds of human beings allowed her to emulate contemporary crime novels before they were even conceptualised."

Well done.
Have to agree, it was great ekoolish! I'm literally using it for study notes - we're studying Possession by AS Byatt for Romanticism (kill. me.)

Therewego

HSC
hmm sorry to be ultra paranoid...but the school's centre number doesn't HAVE to be a 3 digit number yeah?

Its just that all the ones on here are 3 digit numbers, and our school told us a 5 digit number...there hasn't been a mistake has there?

I'm just being an idiot aren't I...

diametric

HSC
I believe the SCHOOL number is a 5 digit number, which is distinct from the CENTRE number, which is a three digit number (though I'm not sure if its ONLY a three digit number, I'm assuming they'd prolly foray into four digit realm as well, but I doubt 5).

Might wanna give BoS a ring, or ask your school again.

diametric

HSC
Your RS well-demonstrated the 'systematic' nature of your research which I think made it quite strong (something I do not believe I achieved). As for your actual story, I enjoyed the way in which it was allusively bound to biblical terms/refs/mythos. Very impressive. I also liked the way in which Lucifer was also placed in parallel beside 'man' himself (and not some much through the placement of his soul in a mortal body, but by the whole experience of his condition; e.g. "gates of the garden" as a (presupposed) allusion to Eden). Interesting shift in Satan's character from that of Milton's epic as well (for example, from my reading of the first section of him, willingness to sacrifice his present pride for the potential of greater ultimate pride). I got a little lost when the "Lucifer/Lilith" sequencing was first broken; but it began and ended strongly, which is paramount to it's overall strength.
Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!

I feel slightly reassured that they wont take a single look at my RS, and say, "E3E3E3."

With the incorporation of biblical/mythical allusions, I wanted to do more, to really bring it in line with Romanticism/Modernism, but I didn't really have the time. So once again, happy to hear that what's there is effectual. Yeah, with Lucifer, I really wanted to do a complete role reversal of his role in literature and in religion - I wanted the reader to sympathise him, and I hope why I wanted to do that comes through in the RS.

Yeah, lots of people told me the scene cuts were a bit confusing, and it was a lot worse beforehand, I think I fixed it to an extent where it's more of, "Ah, so that's what happened," as you got into the future sequence, as opposed to, "wtf?"

Thanks for the feedback. You should post up yours. You were writing an epic/long poem, yea?

Therewego

HSC
I believe the SCHOOL number is a 5 digit number, which is distinct from the CENTRE number, which is a three digit number (though I'm not sure if its ONLY a three digit number, I'm assuming they'd prolly foray into four digit realm as well, but I doubt 5).

Might wanna give BoS a ring, or ask your school again.
holy jumpin f$%kin s#$tballs :S

so if my school sent all ours in with the school number where the centre numbers should be what would happen??!!

ahh crap...

diametric

HSC
Well, from memory, the centre number was supposed to go on the front cover of your work, and the school and centre number on the forms that the BoS handed out.

If you're worried, just let your school know, and they'll ring the BoS to clarify/sort it out. It's not that a big of a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)