BOS Showcase: 2005 Major Works (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Before I have to start removing posts again, may I remind everyone that this thread is for the sharing of EE2 Major Works and critique.

If you have personal issues with other bosmembers, take it to pm. Take it to msn. Take it to your very own NS thread, if need be. But keep it out of here.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
For C_James' MW:

I read the beginning of the RS first so i could see whether your text successfully carried forth the concepts that you intended. I must say, you have definitely done that :p Very blatantly too lol!

The concept itself is very good, espicially from my personal point of view. I don't know if it's been done before but I was quite impressed and i was wondering how you would pull off this battle between modernism and postmodernism through your work. It turns out that you did so in quite a straight-forward, blatant fashion. WHile this sacrificed subtletly, it certainly carried forth your ideas with no fear of us not understanding what your intention is!

However, in terms of the register and language used, i felt that it seemed...a little out of character?
Eg.
Dear responder
I do apologise for my unwanted companion’s belligerence and literary blasphemy. He’s under some delusion, you see, that there’s beauty in madness and reality in nothing. Really, he’s a crackpot. That said, do read on, and pay him no mind when he spouts inconsequential buzzwords such as ‘paradigm’, ‘self-reflexivity’, and anything ending with an –ism.
Yours sincerely
Sir Bale F. Nottingham IV

I don't know whether i'm just being stupid because i haven't read the RS completely but like, the language, tone and overall register of that passage doesn't seem to fit a SIR Bale F. NOttingham if you know what i mean. I certainly couldn't picture...say...Sir Charles talking like that :rollseyes: Unfortunately, this aspect prevented me from being completely emersed in the work as i always had this nagging feeling that there was somethign amiss.

However, while i don't know whether you intended it or not, this style of writing did give the work a humorous undertone that made reading about postmodernist/modernist literary/social theory a LOT more entertaining. I"ve had enough of EE1 English to endure more serious discussions of such things. So it became quite a funny little, satirical exploration of i guess the excesses of postmodernism for me.

Overall, I honestly enjoyed it, which is quite hard to do with anything that explicitly explores literary theory ^-^. And the use of those conversation boxes was hilarious lol. The flexibility that postmodern texts allows is just amazing huh :p

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
Airness said:
For C_James' MW:

I read the beginning of the RS first so i could see whether your text successfully carried forth the concepts that you intended. I must say, you have definitely done that :p Very blatantly too lol!

The concept itself is very good, espicially from my personal point of view. I don't know if it's been done before but I was quite impressed and i was wondering how you would pull off this battle between modernism and postmodernism through your work. It turns out that you did so in quite a straight-forward, blatant fashion. WHile this sacrificed subtletly, it certainly carried forth your ideas with no fear of us not understanding what your intention is!

However, in terms of the register and language used, i felt that it seemed...a little out of character?
Eg.
Dear responder
I do apologise for my unwanted companion’s belligerence and literary blasphemy. He’s under some delusion, you see, that there’s beauty in madness and reality in nothing. Really, he’s a crackpot. That said, do read on, and pay him no mind when he spouts inconsequential buzzwords such as ‘paradigm’, ‘self-reflexivity’, and anything ending with an –ism.
Yours sincerely
Sir Bale F. Nottingham IV

I don't know whether i'm just being stupid because i haven't read the RS completely but like, the language, tone and overall register of that passage doesn't seem to fit a SIR Bale F. NOttingham if you know what i mean. I certainly couldn't picture...say...Sir Charles talking like that :rollseyes: Unfortunately, this aspect prevented me from being completely emersed in the work as i always had this nagging feeling that there was somethign amiss.

However, while i don't know whether you intended it or not, this style of writing did give the work a humorous undertone that made reading about postmodernist/modernist literary/social theory a LOT more entertaining. I"ve had enough of EE1 English to endure more serious discussions of such things. So it became quite a funny little, satirical exploration of i guess the excesses of postmodernism for me.

Overall, I honestly enjoyed it, which is quite hard to do with anything that explicitly explores literary theory ^-^. And the use of those conversation boxes was hilarious lol. The flexibility that postmodern texts allows is just amazing huh :p
Thanks for your comments :).

Yes, in the RS' first paragraph I allude to how the work has satiric overtones. I wouldn't read too much into the names - they're merely titled "Sirs" to better convey the pretentiousness of literary theory, and their names are also anagrammatic for Cain and Abel.

I also justified the flagrance of the work in the RS, too. In line with the satiric nature of the work, I simply felt it wouldn't be fitting to convey things subtly.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I haven't had a chance to read/critique anyone's major work yet, but you should all be really proud of yourselves :)

Regardless of how your major work is in comparison to others, it was - and is - your baby. The time and effort you put into it, the lessons you have learnt from the writing process, and the beautiful (albiet frequently frustrating) act of writing itself is the important thing.

And you're always your harshest critic. Unless we have a Joan Rivers of literature...? lol!

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Well just based on my 90 views, its quite evident my major work is the best. It's like popular culture, a bit limited in terms of form and content, but nevertheless you can't get enough.... :p

(No one point out that its just because its the first one posted, because thats not fun!!)

:kaz.n:

HSC
^Hahaha :)

Glitterfairy- I know what you mean, it was frustrating (staying up till 5:30am typing the day before) but I was kinda proud of it. However now...I pray I get over 40 =P

Z_Nizzle

HSC
Sweets said:
Well just based on my 90 views, its quite evident my major work is the best. It's like popular culture, a bit limited in terms of form and content, but nevertheless you can't get enough.... :p

(No one point out that its just because its the first one posted, because thats not fun!!)
hahahaha ur work is a piece of shit.....actually its bloody good :)

illmatic

NaS
HSC
Sweets said:

i reckon you actually think yours is the best, but you sed the last sentence as a front :rolleyes:

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
illmatic said:
i reckon you actually think yours is the best, but you sed the last sentence as a front :rolleyes:
Considering, that you have contributed nothing useful to this thread, why do you even bother?

Please, hate me all you want in PM and convince me of my Superiorty complex, but not here.

illmatic

NaS
HSC
Sweets said:
Considering, that you have contributed nothing useful to this thread, why do you even bother?

Please, hate me all you want in PM and convince me of my Superiorty complex, but not here.

nah...

and ummm.. i actually commented on your major work. i guess you didnt regard it :\

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Review - James the multigendered girl formerly known as Dreamerish.;)
First of all, may I say that your protagonist's name of Hogan has a wonderful sound to it. You must have been a genius to think that one up.:D
I enjoyed it, it is definitely a first class piece. I love how you were able to string the historical references throughout the piece and when I look at your work (and a couple of others), it makes me wonder how much a writer misses out on if they don't study history. The historical references definitely strengthen your portrayal of the character early on, as when he compares his plight to those great battles I cannot help but think of some blustering, beer bellied dummy riding into war with a frying pan for a helmet:p Another aspect that I found quite interesting was your inclusion of those feminist statements, including that in the scene almost seemed to value your protagonists viewpoint but then his response belies whatever perception the reader may think he possesses. Comparatively though I found that something was lacking in the last quarter, though I think this was mainly the constraints of EE2 rearing its ugly head, for a lot more activity but less depth was happening in this point which I think mainly came to light because of the standard you had already set - if you were given just 3000 more words to work with I think you could have made it stellar. So in all, its a fantastic work, and its only real problem is that there aren't enough words in the word limit(which has happened to most of the major works...). I think you most definitely will recieve 48+ and it would not shock me to see you in Showcase.:)
And thats my somewhat poorly constructed review, I'm sorry that its not as literary as most of the other reviews :eek:

Alimoe_KG

HSC
Oh i do so value Evan's comments :) For me, Evan is like the David Stratton of EE2. Metaphorically speaking of course...:p

I didn't come up with the name Hogan actually. Another genius did, i think it was a BOSer. Wonder who it might have been... :rolleyes:

I'm glad people seem to like the historical references. But during my first few drafts, i actually had soooo many references that people reading it proceeded to bludgeon me to death in pure frustration. And yeah, i did feel the ending was somewhat truncated and almost rushed =(. It was much better before...but at that point i was at 13500 words and still unfinished so i had to choose between
a) less than perfect ending, decent work.
b) Perfect ending, awesome work, -20 marks for doubling the word limit :p

But i'm glad you all enjoyed it! I'm afraid that now that EE2 is over, i'm lapsing back into my old male-chauvinist self.

muahahahah...ha.

sorry :(

And Evan, get your damn MW back and post it!! *grabs toothcomb off you* I believe it's MY turn :)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
lol. Well I have my draft, but otherwise you'll just have to wait till we get them back. And I am not sure if you'd want to see my draft since nearly everyone who has looked at it hasn't mentioned it again - I think last_chance was the only person not struck blind by my work:p

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
kami said:
lol. Well I have my draft, but otherwise you'll just have to wait till we get them back. And I am not sure if you'd want to see my draft since nearly everyone who has looked at it hasn't mentioned it again - I think last_chance was the only person not struck blind by my work:p
i'm very very sorry evan. i have intended to read your major work for a long time, though ive been pre-occupied with other study-related activities. i will hope to read it later this evening.

i'd very much like to thank everyone aswell for viewing my major work. it is astounding that i was able to have 60 people experience my work. it really is very humbling and an honour to be able to reach so many people

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
black_man said:
i'm very very sorry evan. i have intended to read your major work for a long time, though ive been pre-occupied with other study-related activities. i will hope to read it later this evening.

i'd very much like to thank everyone aswell for viewing my major work. it is astounding that i was able to have 60 people experience my work. it really is very humbling and an honour to be able to reach so many people
lol, don't worry about it - the longer my reputation as a sane person is maintained the better:p
And you will reach many more people methinks as long as you keep on writing:)
May I ask if you're considering doing any english at uni?

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
kami said:
May I ask if you're considering doing any english at uni?
unfortunately, i think i might be undertaking economics or commerce and law. i would really think studying english at university would be very interesting, and it would really be a shame for all the members of this forum to sort of lose touch with the amazing creativity they have all shown in this course.

i might still continue songwriting and playing music throughout university to still have a sort of touch with english and creative art and other things of that nature.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
black_man said:
unfortunately, i think i might be undertaking economics or commerce and law. i would really think studying english at university would be very interesting, and it would really be a shame for all the members of this forum to sort of lose touch with the amazing creativity they have all shown in this course.

i might still continue songwriting and playing music throughout university to still have a sort of touch with english and creative art and other things of that nature.
*sigh* that's a shame that you aren't going to follow up on this at uni, have you considered doing a concurrent and adding a BA or BCA to your bachelor or double bachelor? hmm...maybe I should make a separate thread on this so that lynn & justin don't delete me:p

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
wow, that is a really interesting idea. i had never thought of anything like that. thankyou very much for sort of bringing those sorts of possibilities to my attention. i think it might be a good idea if this sort of discussion did move to a seperate thread - it might be best we keep the thread as objective as possible in light of what has occurred with other intrusions

timmay05

HSC
My short story is here...

No one make any comments about the first page of writing, I was just too attached to let go of the not so good parts.

J

jhakka

kami said:
Excuse me. I read your work and was not struck blind. As I recall I quite enjoyed it and offered you some last minute advice. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)