BOS Showcase: 2004 Major Works (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Well, yeah, I thought this year should have one too. Also cuz it means we don't have to constantly section-hop. Damn segregation.

I've already posted mine in crit, but here it is:

"Is This a Penis Metaphor?":
An Analysis of Adolescent Sexuality in Buffy the Vampire Slayer

PS. Can a mod please sticky this?

EDIT (jhakka): I have merged this thread with welshi's BOS Anthology 2004. Her original post can be found here, though I have added a list of 2004 major works below.

:: dreami ::: The Legacy of Lake Bacia
~V~: Sneeze
1Time4ThePpl: Morality
cheezsandwich: The Days Go Slowly By
davey336: Save Me Jebus!
deusexmachina: The Nine Cities of Troy: A Requiem for Utopia
gemita: Seaspray
glitterfairy: Pieces of me
Glycerine: Is This a Penis Metaphor? : An Analysis of Adolescent Sexuality in Buffy the Vampire Slayer
goldendawn: Children of Time
hfis:Inquisition
jezzabelle86: Respect!
Jonnieette: Appointment 10:30
life_4rent: Internal Affairs (Part 1), Internal Affairs (Part 2), Internal Affairs (Part 3)
Llyrai: The Beast that shouted "I" at the Heart of the World
miffytoki: As you stand near the edge of a high cliff... (Part 1), As you stand near the edge of a high cliff... (Part 2)
MissSavage29: The Language of Sex
Monkey Butler: Something Broken
pitted: ...one day...
ryan011086: TRAPPED (Part 1), TRAPPED (Part 2)
Serpentia: As The Days Go
Trigger189: Travelling North
Trixie Bird: The Accent Falls A Little Differently
welshi: People Who Are Not You
whiterabbit: Strands (Part 1), Strands (Part 2)
zhongi: Electric Samurai

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
:D I think it's pretty safe to put them up now:

Mine's a screenplay, so ignore the dodgy formatting - I had to copy it from a different program, and I couldn't be bothered typing it all out again. The reflection statement's attached at the end.

Jezzabelle

My critical Response - R!E!S!P!E!C!T!

Hey friends!
CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

i even sang a little ditty when i handed it in.. did a little "da dada da!" as I walked into the english staffroom :)
Then i had an advanced eng assessment, yep going to go good in that considering i have had a total of 3 hours sleep in 4 days :p
Then i went home and slept...
anyways i am rambling.. my point is... here is my major work

Its a critical response that argues crime fiction is better for social comment then any other category fiction... or in other words, its purpose is to disassociated the negative image crime fiction and its writers have.. give them more "respect" ...
ENJOY (dont you dare count my words... *scared* .. and if you do it can be our little secret.. ha ha)

hotcocoababe

Sexiest BoS Member
I'm up there.... somewhere... gently floating abou
HSC
My MW - "BLOODLETTING" by Amber.W

Okaaaaay guys..... here it is!

I had to copy/paste the whole damn thing over into wordpad, then remove the title page and double spacing before it would let me attach it!

Anyway, when I handed it in yesterday morning, one of my friends said... "oh it's called bloodletting....ummm, do you realise there's a book called that? its about a depressed girl...."

So now im really worried, because i've never even HEARD of this book until then, let alone the fact that it seems kinda similar to my story from what my friend said.... dammit, dammit, dammit!

Let's hope I get a naive marker.

Anyway guys, read and tell me what you think ok! :) and no, i haven't attached the reflection statement, cuz i wrote it at 4.30am that morning and i think its a piece of shit personally.

Luv yous alll....

(AND HAY, ITS FINALLY OVER! NO MORE WRITER'S BLOCK!!! WAHOOO!!)

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Oh man, you're making me paranoid. I'd hide mine, but since it's already on the internet somewhere, you guys can have a look. Try to keep criticism to a minimum as I can't change the damn thing now. lol.

Last edited:
J

jhakka

Hotcocoababe, I enjoyed your story. I liked the ending, and how you linked the Boy to the horse.

pitted

HSC
N/A
hey everyone i just downloaded your MW's - yeah i know im a bit late but i didnt realise till today so dont hate me! lol
neway
here is my MW
so for all of you's who read some of my other posts you finally know what i was talking about - if you understand what i write that is.
BTW its called ...one day...
yeah i got a name!
my RS is there as well
enjoy - who knows what will happen?

ryan011086

hey everyone

well here is my MW, i plan to read all of yours when i have the time, but im still in the middle of my Trials at the mo...god they suck

so yeah you have to read them in the order they are here. with my reflection statement at the end

the title of my MW is TRAPPED

zhongie

HSC
Electric Samurai

Well, I finally relented. Here's my short story. I'd appreciate comments and feedback!

Last edited:

Serpentia

glycerine:

“There is no one value held by the show’s main characters; their exploration of sexuality is entirely individualised.”

“The main value of this approach is that it allows thorough investigation of the complex subject rather than relegating adolescent sexuality to stock roles.”

Those two sentences succinctly summed up your major work – I congratulate you for being able to so clearly articulate yourself. This was incredibly well set out; you led me through a very clear set of points, not to mention this was a highly original concept. This is the first critical composition I have read that has been submitted as a major work (not just for this year but for any year), and I must say I can see even more clearly now just how much research would be required to create something like this. I remember a guy in my class who had 4 large folders of research submitted for journals and I couldn’t understand how he could have needed so much, but I think I understand better now.

You do like the word espoused don’t you? Heh, very much a word your mother would use. Actually she helped me in the initial stages of writing my reflection statement, telling me I needed to have a much clear set out than what I had. If I could write essays half as clearly as yours was written I’d be happy.

Content-wise this is very applicable to contemporary society – always a good thing – and I found I had learnt something from this. Who would have thought a television show could have such merit… (of course it’s all highly subjective). In a word, “wow”.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
haha, wow, thank you! i really appreciate feedback because i think i'm proud of my final product, but yeah, it's nice to have confirmation from others : )

i feel bad because i haven't read any of the ones here in full yet. i have some procrastinating to do though, so maybe that'll be my job now ;)

Serpentia

I may as well share mine. I wrote a suite of poems, entitled "As the Days go". I'll chuck the reflection statement in as well. As a whole I'm pretty happy with this, but there are some individual poems in there that I detest. In fact there are only a couple of pieces in there that I actually like, but what can you do?

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
glycerine said:
haha, wow, thank you! i really appreciate feedback because i think i'm proud of my final product, but yeah, it's nice to have confirmation from others : )

i feel bad because i haven't read any of the ones here in full yet. i have some procrastinating to do though, so maybe that'll be my job now ;)

I read yours glycerine. It was bloody good, and seemed at uni level, though I had the feeling you could have gone deeper and analysed the show further, but there is a word limit.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Hey 1time4theppl I read yours and I thought it was a good story which asked a big question of morality. I didn't actually see the ending coming either, which was a surprise because I'm a fan of crime fiction and usually I solve the case before the protagonist.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Hey glitterfairy yours was certainly interesting. The beginning confused me at first, until I worked out what you were attempting to do. It was rather impressive the way you tried to adopt different, yet similiar, personas. I'd give it top marks, especially for the creativity.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Jezzabelle86 I read your critical response and have to agree with the concepts behind it. A depth of research must have went into it. Anyway, as my major work was a crime fiction I suppose I'll have to take your recommendations under advisement, especially the bit about standing out from the crowd because there are a lot of crime novels and many aren't nothing special.

HSC
N/A
Thanks enlightened one! Great feedback!

It's nice to know that you can actually understand it. You don't want to see some of my first few drafts. If you thought the final draft was a bit confusing, you have no idea... *shudders* I sent the first full draft to a professional writer for critique, and the response was pretty much just "Banal. Couldn't understand a word of it." It was much better the second time round though, when I'd re-worked the entire thing :D

Time for me to start reading!

pitted

HSC
N/A
hey there i have downloaded each MW cept for 1time4theppl (i cant get zip files)
Neway
i have read a few MWs and heres my feedback
1st of all, all of them were really quite good - ok brilliant.
Glycerine - quite impressive, i love buffy (and of course angel) and the way you looked at it really impressed me. although i must say that critiquing buffy has been done before but taking on adolescent sexuality was a very interesting take and something i had never even thought of before. your descriptions of sexual encounters i can remember watching and now i can understand it just that much more than i did. so thank you for an insightful thought provoking critical response - it was immensely enjoyable - i was dissappointed that it ended so quickly.
Jezzabelle86 - no offence meant but composing a critical response on the crime fiction genre must be quite risky (it was extremely impressive - sorry my vocab is just crud at the moment) it was top notch stuff yet i would like to know how confident you were in critiquing it. one other thing - it was really reassuring to actually know what you were going on about - kinda shows that i understand the CF genre just as much as you do - oh, did you study it for Ext1?
Monkey Butler - very interesting, i would rather see it on screen as it is a tad confusing however i can see that it would work as a show so i think it is a great screenplay. i really dont know how to discuss it but i enjoyed it and the reflection statement was impressive. sorry for being so short.
Hotcocoababe - bloodletting, great title. story a bit disturbing, violent - which was a bit freaky but utilised to great effect. the three events in her life were insightful and sad, confusing, and shocking. overall quite an enjoyable read and i hope you go well.
well i still have the rest to read so when i do ill reply and tell u all how i fell about them - i dont think any of them will be crap so im looking forward to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)