BOS Showcase: 2003 Major Works (1 Viewer)

Saul

*ss
HSC
(that one was from the 2001 writer's showcase)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
If anyone would like to read and comment upon it, here is my dissertation on Utopian literature. Thanks. [Really should have finished my footnotes too.]

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Realised that I didn't attach my annotated bibliography to that attachment. What follows is the one I used with my Journals, hence the commentary and lack of detail (in some cases)..

Does anyone have comments on my actual essay? If so, I'd like to hear..Thanks. :)

Bibliography
Atwood, Margaret. The Handmaid's Tale. 16th ed. London, Virago Press, 1994 [1985] The most recent dystopia examined throughout the course of my reading. Especially interesting as an unintended counterpoint to The Revolt Of Man, indiicative of the vast changes within the genre that have occured within the last century. However, it was eliminated from my essay by space and time constraints.
Augustine, St. The City Of God. Trans.Henry Bettenson, Harmondsworth, England, Penguin, 1972. This text proved highly useful to support a key argument of my text; that the impossibility of utopia is realised by it's composers. While intended as a vigourous defence of Christianity against 'Pagan polytheism', this text retains value for the non-Christian responder (Such as myself.) in it's relation to historical events, and it's great influence upon church doctrines. As such, perhaps the most vital of my 'Non-Focus' texts,
Bacon, Francis. Advancement of Learning, Novum Organum and New Atlantis. Chicago, Encyclopedia Britainnica, 1962. While I had intended New Atlantis to be an important text in my work, subsequent events meant that it became irrelevant to my argument. However, it remains perhaps the earliest known example of the 'Scientific' utopia, and thus has a value of it's own.
Baker, Robert S. Brave New World: History, Science And Dystopia. Boston, Thayne Publishers, 1990. While largely designed as a textual summary, this work was at least somewhat useful in providing the historical context to Brave New World, and quoting Huxley's own contemporary response.
Berlin, Isaiah. The Proper Study Of Mankind:An Anthology Of Essays. Ed.Henry Hardy & Roger Hausheer. London, Chatto, 1997. An intellectually stimulating read, and relevant to the impossibility of utopia, encapsulated in Berlin's frequent quoting of Immanuel Kant, stating 'Out of the crooked timber of humanity, no straight thing was ever made". As such, this is an important work to gain insights into the twentieth century, pluralist discourse, and upon one of it's best-known philosophers.
Besant, Walter. The Revolt Of Man. Blackwood, 1882. A hillariously anachronistic work, depicting a dystopic world ruled by women (Gasp!) While this must be remembered as a somewhat common-view in it's immediate context, time has rendered it utterly irrelevant. However, it remains textually, a fascinating insight into the misogynistic discourse of the late nineteenth century, including many prevalent stereotypes about women while exalting man, the supposed 'true leaders of society'. Worth reading for a laugh, or a cry. (Depending on your view.)
Bellamy, Edward. Looking Backward: 2000 to 1887. Boston. Tickner and Company 1889 The source of my title, and a relevant text in that it depicts the evolution of the 'Visitor' device within the 'Sleeper Awake' device. While prevalent in the late nineteenth century however, this device seems to have declined in frequency with the decline of the 'Scientific' utopia.
Carey, John, comp and ed. The Faber Book Of Utopias. London, Faber, 1999. The first book I read in the course of my studies. This test proved a highly useful anthology and guide to the history of utopia, providing minimal textual analysis while publishing extracts. Until my finding the texts, this book was my only source for 'The Revolt Of Man' and 'We'. Highly recommended as an introduction to utopian literature.
Doctorow, E.L. The Book Of Daniel. Pan, 1973. While this work did not ultimately prove useful in my ultimate work, it served as a telling reminder of the widespread use of utopic and dystopic language in modern society, most notably describing Disneyland as 'The envy of any SS transport officer'.
Ferguson, John. Utopias Of The Classical World. London, Thames and Hudson, 1975 Provided background information on The Republic and The City Of God.
Foucault, Michel. Asthetics, Method And Epistemology. Ed.James Faubion. London, Penguin [Essential Works Of Foucault 1954-1984], 1998. Although this collection is not entirely related to the utopian concept, the essay 'Different Spaces' proved quite useful in this form, encapulating the existence of the utopia as an utterly unreal state. This provided a base for my essay, arguing that the impossibility of utopia is deliberate, in order to heighten the commentary within the text.
Fukuyama, Francis. The End of History and The Last Man. London. Hamish Hamilton, 1992. See April 6th journal entry for thoughts upon Fukuyama's thesis. It is a reminder of the nature of the theoretical utopia, largely ignored in the evolution of my work. (Again due to time constraints.)
Gandhi, L.-PostColonial Theory.A Critical Introduction. Edinburgh, University Press, 1998. Provides a theoretical background for post-colonislist discourse, most relevantly the notion of self and other, or 'centre and periphery'. Also outlines the ideal of 'Post-Nationalism'
Gilman, Charlotte Perkins-Herland. The Women's Press, 1979. etext.lib.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/GilHerl.html A representation of suffragette ideals realised through the medium, and as such, indicative of the wider variety of utopian texts composed as stimuli to political movements.
Hesiod-Works And Days./Homer-The Illiad.-Important works in understanding the process in which the utopia evolved, being the first formal 'Semi-Utopias' in their depiction of a foundation myth. The influence of these works is clearly apparent within The Republic.
Huxley, Aldous. Brave New World. Reprint, ------- Perennial, 1998. Huxley's work is infamous as a biting commentary upon contemporary society, and has been viewed as epitomising the twentieth-century dystopia. I chose to focus upon this text, as in satirising American society, it has arguably become more relevant in the present context than works such as 'We' and 'Nineteen Eighty-Four'.
---, Island. Huxley's version of utopia. Interesting in revealing the extent to which Huxley's views on certain societal aspects had been transformed over a thirty-year period, most notably his depiction of drug-use, which is viewed as a intoxicating form of escapism and sterility in Brave New World, and a source of tranquility for the inhabitants of Island's utopic society. A good counterpoint. Sadly, I was unable to discuss it within my essay as a result of time constraints.
Kafka, Franz. The Trial. Along with The Book Of Daniel, this text emphasised the nature of 'Semi-Utopia' as a widely prevalent concept across many literary genres, also applying for 'Semi-Utopia' as in this case. The classic tale of Josef K has been viewed in a multitude of ways throughout the twentieth century, but in terms of my essay, it can be viewed as semi-dystopic society, a bureaucratic nightmare from which the only escape is death. However, in the progression of my work, the role of 'Semi-Utopia' became more as a mental guideline to differentiating truly utopian works from these equivalents.
Kumar, Krishnan. Utopia and Anti-Utopia in Modern Times. Oxford, Basil Blackwell, 1991 [1987] An intriguing examination of the utopia and it's representation in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Perhaps most important is that the continued existence of the utopia is depicted, in the light of the tragic events of the 'Age Of Catastrophe' (1914-1945), in itself a useful representation within my essay.
Marx & Engels-The Communist Manifesto. Yet another work that became less important to my text as it's focus changed. Nevertheless, it is absolutely vital as a historical text, and represents the direct advocation of an ideal society, which while presented as being a 'Scientific' process, incorporated traditionally utopic elements such as societal stasis. The opening of this classic statement also influenced the opening of my essay.
More, Sir Thomas. Utopia. Trans. Paul Turner, Ringwood: Penguin, 1965 [1516]An indubitably seminal text. Not only did More introduce the term 'Utopia' but he introduced important textual aspects that remain, in a somewhat modified form, to the present day. This text is highly recommended to any reader curious to understand either the evolution of the utopian genre, or in the history of the sixteenth century itself, a 'fictional' depiction of elements deemed contextually important by the society of this period.
Morris, William. News From Nowhere. Reeves & Turner, 1891. Within it's epoch, one of the most influential utopian works of all. It's depiction of an egalitarian, idyllic society would influence not only utopic representations, but politcal movements such as that of the Anarchists.
Orwell, George [Eric Blair]. Nineteen Eighty-Four. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books [Penguin Twentieth Century Classics] 1989 [1949] A necessary read, not only for it's status as warning and satire, but for it's warning as dystopia. Possibly the best known of the classic twentieth century dystopias.
Plato. The Republic. Quite possibly the most important of all utopian texts, being the first composed, and as such, influencing directly or indirectly all subsequent representations. Again, a highly recommended work, despite the indesirability of many of Plato's key tenets. It's relevance is enhanced by Plato's philosophical depiction, relating the ideal state to 'Justice'. A work that has endured, and will continue to do so.
------- The Seventh Letter. An important historical document, relating Plato's own experiences throughout the poltical events that would influence the composition of The Republic. Also important in that it relates his former politcal ambitions, instead to be 'realised' in his advocation of the philosopher-king.
Zamiatin, Yefgeny, We. Trans.Mirra Ginsburg, New York, Avon Books, 1987. This text proved most important in terms of it's relation to Brave New World. This text, predating it by a decade, depicts many of it's central aspects, and does so in a highly inventive nature. As the first of the great twentieth century dystopias, it's textual influence is almost unparalled within it's immediate context.

clerisy

HSC
Can anyone post their reflection statement, please??? I haven't seen many examples, and I think that they're helpful in understanding the intention and methods of other extension 2 students!!!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
50s? where? who got 50 on BoS? gimme gimme gimme :eek:

i really want to know why they didnt give me that one mark....

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
one aligned mark can actually be two or three normal ones :) don't bother yourself about it

it's better to have the motivation to write a novel than end up being 'that guy who got 50/50 in some english thing'

hotcocoababe

Sexiest BoS Member
I'm up there.... somewhere... gently floating abou
HSC
ooooooohhhhhhhhhhh crap thats the biggest bibliography I've ever seen........... am i alone in saying that!!???!!!!??????

geez.......... i could never write one like that!!!!! am i mega dumb, or is Gregor Samsa supa smart!?

im doing a short story..... and yeah im expecting to do plenty of research on teenage depression...... but sheesh, no where near that much.........................

im a little freaked out now............ do all markers expect that much? or is Gregor Samsa doing crit response? oh please say that you did crit respnse, that will reassure me greatly.......

:( poor little supa-concerned hotcocoababe!!

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
i didn't include a bibliography and got 48, apparently they aren't 100% necessary

so many people make up bullshit bibliographies anyway- i have a feeling that teachers see them and go 'wow, you looked up a keyword at state library and wrote down the entire library catalogue, good for you'

having said that i did include about 7 quotes in the 1000 word reflection statement and footnoted them, so do some research :p

Last edited:

mibiony

"fully sick"
HSC
Hey Jinglebell,
I was wondering what band you got for your critical response? I really enjoyed reading it!

alphatango

Resident Geek
HSC
N/A
One for the sci-fi ppl: critical analysis on Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series, HSC 2003. Understandably, you'll probably get more out of it if you're at least vaguely familiar with the books, but it doesn't really make all that much difference.

alphatango.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
hmmm if I can find my mw I'll post it, it was a very suprising 50 (expecting bout 35), u guys can tell me what you think...
So did you get into the ACTUAL showcase... Is there any word on that yet? Any bOs users get in??!

anna_mcm

if anyone here is interested in reading what i've done for my ext 2 story so far, please pm me
i really need some feedback and ideas!
thanks

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by hotcocoababe
ooooooohhhhhhhhhhh crap thats the biggest bibliography I've ever seen........... am i alone in saying that!!???!!!!??????

geez.......... i could never write one like that!!!!! am i mega dumb, or is Gregor Samsa supa smart!?

im doing a short story..... and yeah im expecting to do plenty of research on teenage depression...... but sheesh, no where near that much.........................

im a little freaked out now............ do all markers expect that much? or is Gregor Samsa doing crit response? oh please say that you did crit respnse, that will reassure me greatly.......

:( poor little supa-concerned hotcocoababe!!
*Belated response*

Yes, my piece was critical response. Annoyingly, I ended up using only a relatively small number of those texts in my actual dissertation, due to eventually focusing upon just The Republic, Utopia and Brave New World (Damn time/space constraints)..

Perhaps the annotations make it look longer too.. A book I recently bought ('Western Republicanism and the Oriental Prince') has a 46-page bibliography. Now thats truly large.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ssssonicyouth
one aligned mark can actually be two or three normal ones :) don't bother yourself about it

it's better to have the motivation to write a novel than end up being 'that guy who got 50/50 in some english thing'

i still want that extra mark dammit ><
haha

nah jkz its all cool, i was expecting a sub 25 mark so this was a nice surprise :D

miss_salty

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
The machinations of late nights, a load of Hitler, the inability to tell night from day/reality from illusion, and finally an extremely *well planned* trial timetable incorporating our submission dates...( how thoughtful )...

Thesis.Of.A.Dead.Man
hey, asylum - okay, this is probably coming too late . . . but i thought ur major work was excellent. it should have been in the showcase. however, is it a short story or critical response? im thinking story but it could have been a (postmodern) critical response.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah, it was a short story which explored the idea of life and death in terms of the socio-psyche

J

jhakka

A list of all major works posted in this thread can now be found in the first post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)