Books that have made you cry (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Saving Francesca, First They Killed my Father, A Time for Dancing.... there are more, I just can't think right now!

astro

HSC
jessica by Bryce Courtenay and Black Foxes by Sonya Hartnett was a bit sad

onigiri

HSC
the power of one by bryce courtenay made me cry. that books awesome.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Blood & Gold, Angela's Ashes, Anna's Story, Girl With A Pearl Earring.

toryn

Queen of Failure
HSC
The Day After Forever, way back when (year 6, I think). Not a bad read.

Raymond E feist's series, whichever one Arutha 'died' in.

And when Chewbacca died. That was a sad day. And then Anakin Solo died. Someone should shoot Star Wars writers. Gar.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Dubliners. The conclusion of 'The Dead' kills me, a poetic rendering of catharsis, meditating upon the inevitability of death.

To give an excerpt;

Perhaps she had not told him all the story. His eyes moved to the chair over which she had thrown some of her clothes. A petticoat string dangled to the floor. One boot stood upright, its limp upper fallen down; the fellow of it lay upon its side. He wondered at his riot of emotions of an hour before. From what had it proceeded? From his aunt's supper, from his own foolish speech, from the wine and dancing, the merry-making when saying goodnight in the hall, the pleasure of the walk along the river in the snow. Poor Aunt Julia! She, too, would soon be a shade with the shade of Patrick Morkan and his horse. He had caught that haggard look upon her face for a moment when she was singing Arrayed for the Bridal. Soon, perhaps, he would be sitting in the same drawing room, dressed in black, his silk hat on his knees. The blinds would be drawn down and Aunt Kate would be sitting beside him, crying and blowing her nose and telling him how Julia had died. He would cast about in his mind for some words that might console her, and would find only lame and useless ones. Yes, yes: that would happen very soon.

The air of the room chilled his shoulders. He stretched himself cautiously along under the sheets and lay down beside his wife. One by one, they were all becoming shades. Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age. He thought of how she who lay beside him had ocked in her heart for so many years that image of her lover's eyes when he had told her that he did not wish to live.

:(

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Loz#1 said:
Angela's Ashes
me too - i think it because we see it through a child's eyes.

i love watching children do what they do.

to add: the bell jar by silvia plath.
i think its because i could deeply relate to it.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Gregor Samsa said:
Dubliners. The conclusion of 'The Dead' kills me, a poetic rendering of catharsis, meditating upon the inevitability of death.

To give an excerpt;

The air of the room chilled his shoulders. He stretched himself cautiously along under the sheets and lay down beside his wife. One by one, they were all becoming shades. Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age. He thought of how she who lay beside him had ocked in her heart for so many years that image of her lover's eyes when he had told her that he did not wish to live.
so desu ne

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
falling leaves, looking for alibrandi, harry potter, the day after forever, the bible (yes, i did)

well i never actually CRY cry, but i get really teary :'(

leikWHOA

Someone else said First They Killed My Father.. I cried in that too.

The book I cried most in, though, is Thing of Beauty: The Tragedy of Supermodel Gia. Highly recommend it.

onigiri

HSC
rumour said:
Which part?
When Doc died?
Or when he had to eat shit?

Death is a depressing thing.... T_T; Its was really sad when Doc died and also when Geel Piet was murdered. I remember those two moments to be the saddest parts of the book for me.

Also the Bridge to Terabithia, I read it waay back in primary school but I still remember it.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I've seen this thread for a long time but couldnt think of a book that made me cry. Now I can. :(

The first time I read Little Women. When Beth dies :(

I wasnt bawling just a little teary. I don't read that part when I re-read the book nowadays. Other than that, no book has made me shed tears. Sad, yes. Tears, not really.

rumour

HSC
SmokedSalmon said:
So much to tell you by John Marsden. :(
I think I have read that book!!
Is that the one where there is a disabled guy who always gets teased & then they find his diary & he comments suicide?

rumour

HSC
onigiri said:
Death is a depressing thing.... T_T; Its was really sad when Doc died and also when Geel Piet was murdered. I remember those two moments to be the saddest parts of the book for me.

Also the Bridge to Terabithia, I read it waay back in primary school but I still remember it.
Piet's death was worse, cause Doc seemed to have died more peacefully!
But Geel's death, oh you could just imagine what happened!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)