Books/Texts You wish YOU were doing for prelim/HSC? (1 Viewer)

Zephyrio

HSC
A lot of us are and will be stuck with texts we absolutely despise with passion, so I just wanted to ask you all which texts you wished you could do for your prelims and most importantly, the HSC.

For me, my favourite text of all time is To Kill a Mockingbird. Omg, it's such an awesome book and I love it so much. LOL. Ahhh, just thinking about the characters make me so jealous! (Minus all the racism and all that negative jazz.) Learning it in depth would be so much better than learning about the plot/themes/characters like I did in year ten, because both the book and movie deserve more than merely an analysis of its characters. More deeper issues to look into.

Other than that I think that the Emma/Clueless module is silly because it's like comparing a Californian bristlecone pine tree, so regal and beautiful to some grotesque... tree... thing planted merely one and a half decades ago. A classic from the English Canon compared to some teenage flick. Mkay, sounding like a teacher here... I don't know what other transformation would be good to do because all transformations these days seem to wash up and are left to dry.

At my school we do Powerplay: Antony and Cleopatra which is pretty interesting, Wild Swans by Chang which might be interesting too. I wish we could study a movie aside from Clueless... I'm good with speeches so maybe the speeches module would be good for me also. Speaking of AOS - we are the last year to be doing Journeys, right?

Hmm, other texts which are good could be Cloudstreet by Winton though I think that's something standard English students could do. Oh and a Finding Neverland/JM Barrie's Peter Pan could be interesting too.

In short, advanced English blows. LOL. No, I like it but I just wish that I was/will be doing texts that I actually enjoy. /whinesession.

EDIT: There's a Hongky flick called "ChungKing Express" and it's pretty damn awesome. Doing a foreign film <3333. Wai's lighting and stage directions are just so unique and all the lights are psychadelic and wowowowowow. /fangirlism.

Last edited:

ellen.louise

HSC
More tom stoppard would be good :D

other than that....

*yep i know this is the prelim forum*

we should have done dances with wolves for 'in the wild' because it's not painfully bad like an imaginary life, but I wouldn't mind it being destroyed by analysis.

cs01001

HSC
Bahhhh, Othello bores the hell out of me.... All that Iago, jealousy, Desdemona BS :mad:

slowjam10

HSC
We just did Othello which was okay i suppose the movie was terrible though.

But now we are doing the Six Degrees of Sepaartion which is arrgghhh terrible.

In Ext English i wish we could do Gothic Fiction but unfortuantely... the answer is No.

In response to the first poster i think Emma/Clueless would be good .. we however, are doing Blade Runner/Brave New World

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
I personally couldn't care less what book/texts we do for English. For the other subjects, as long as they're good textbooks, i'm happy.

Le3sah

HSC
Anything NOT written by Jane Austen would be nice.

cccclaire

HSC
The english teacher at our school last year had this really good course planned out for us, it had 'the kite runner' and 'shawshank redemption' and something else that was pretty good. But then he left and we got a new english teacher who changed it all.
The stuff we do now is crap.
well in extension we did Frankenstein, and I didn't mind that, but I've been trying to read 'heart of darkness' for like 8 weeks, I just hate it.
In advanced we did the crucible, which was pretty rubbish and othello which is ok I guess.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Hopefully our class gets to do Antony and Cleopatra, 'cause we did Julius Caesar this year. I heard English Standard can do LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring. I'd love to do that. One of my favourite books :D

Zephyrio

HSC
I really like The Crucible by Miller though!

SHE'S A WITCH!!!!1111

AND SHE IS TOO!!!!111

REBECCA NURSE WHO DOESN'T HAVE A BAD BONE IN HER BODY... SHE'S A WITCH TOO!!!!

John Proctor: *eyeroll* This is so dumb.

LOL.

Ooooh Kite Runner. That would have been tres bien.

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
It'd be radical if we did...
!Anything!
I love anything we do in English. Spesh Shakespeare
=)

Cheap Thrills

HSC
For adv, we do the immigrant chronicle, by szernecki or whatever his name is, tim wintons cloudstreet, r&g are dead/hamlet and frontline.
For ext, we're either doing individual and society, which would mean pride and prejudice, the dolls house and someone brownings poetry, and if we do postmodernism, we do orlando, dead white males and the french lietenants woman
i wish we could do harry potter:mad1:
Lol

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
I have to admit that Macbeth is actually pretty damn good.

Thats the FIRST shakspearian play that i have actually enjoyed reading.

cs01001

HSC
Bahhh, heard a rumour that we might be doing Emma/Clueless :(

Fuck Jane Austen.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Cheap Thrills said:
For adv, we do the immigrant chronicle, by szernecki or whatever his name is, tim wintons cloudstreet, r&g are dead/hamlet and frontline.
For ext, we're either doing individual and society, which would mean pride and prejudice, the dolls house and someone brownings poetry, and if we do postmodernism, we do orlando, dead white males and the french lietenants woman
i wish we could do harry potter:mad1:
Lol
Year 8 students studied Harry Potter in English at my school.

PS snape kills mufasa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)