books: do u use them? (1 Viewer)

mojako

HSC
Do you actually use your commerce books?
First year? Second year and above?

Do lecturers provide complete notes in first year? second year and above?

Can you get away with 1 hour per week in the library for all your textbook needs?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends, in first year you can get away with it if you photocopy the most important parts of the text. Note that sometimes excercises and examples will be provided in the textbook.

Lecturers vary, some give comprehensive notes, others you simply have to write down as much as you can in the lecture. Remember, tutorials are the place to ask q's and reinforce knowledge etc

I wouldn't count on the library for your texts, as the short-reserves will be popular during peak times (ie before an exam)

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Books doesn't cost that much compared to your HECs, even if you don't use it much I reckon it's more useful than some of the lectures and tutes that cost hundreds of dollars.

But for first year commerce, I know that the accounting book is definately needed to do the homework but you don't actually read it. And the economics book is needed for reading, if you don't have the book then it's going to be hard to learn, since the lecture notes are over summarized.

mojako

HSC
MAICHI said:
Books doesn't cost that much compared to your HECs, even if you don't use it much I reckon it's more useful than some of the lectures and tutes that cost hundreds of dollars.

But for first year commerce, I know that the accounting book is definately needed to do the homework but you don't actually read it. And the economics book is needed for reading, if you don't have the book then it's going to be hard to learn, since the lecture notes are over summarized.
by economics do u mean micro & macro or the QM's?

will the same accounting books used in first yr be used in 2nd yr as well?

wad about 1st books for bus law?

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
It's micro & macro. The book is combined, first half micro, second half macro.

I think you use the 1st year accounting book in 2nd year as reference only, but I doubt it'll be useful at all since I didn't even use it for reference in the 1st year, I only did homework problems out of it.

I never done bus law so I wouldn't know.

mojako

HSC
how many pages of the acct book do u need for homework? over 100 pages?

wad about the micro/macro? how many pages do the "good" students read?

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
mojako said:
how many pages of the acct book do u need for homework? over 100 pages?

wad about the micro/macro? how many pages do the "good" students read?
Around 2 pages per week, maybe 20-30 pages in total? I'm not sure.

The "good" student should read at least 70% of the micro/macro book. You would only skip the stuff that is not covered in the course, but pretty much most of the book is covered. However, you can get away with not reading a lot of the book, because for our year, we get a sample exam before the mid-session and final, and it's nearly identical to the real thing. So if you're short of time, just do the sample exam and find the answers in the book or lecture notes. The lecture notes is just the book, the lecturer just summarizes it, but its over summarized to even use in exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)