Book titles (1 Viewer)

jenez

HSC
I am really interested in doing some more reading during the holidays, are there any authors or book titles/series you can suggest. I’m up for any suggestions.

dead cactus

captain tightpants
HSC
Re: Book tiles'

I've been loving Kerry Greenwood's Phryne Fisher series latly. It's a series of detective novels set in Melbourne in the 1920s, and the detective is a rich, beautiful, stylish and incredibly smart woman (who happens to have sex with lots of beautiful men, haha). It's great!

I'm also reading heaps of "teenage" fiction atm (according to borders!) - The Looking Glass Wars by Frank beddor is cool - the "real" story of Alice in Wonderland - and i've got to admit, i just read the 3 sisterhood of the travelling pants books and quite liked them!

what else... chuck palahniuk books are good if you don't mind feeling a bit squirmish some of the time (fight club, survivor, choke)

next on my list are: The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime, i'm not scared, holes, and fear and loathing in las vegas - i'll keep you posted on those!

Hope that helps!

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
Re: Book tiles'

You should read My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult. It's my favourite book, but I warn you there will be tears! I haven't really read many more of her books but I've heard they're really great to :)

akia

HSC
N/A
Hi jenez,
what kind of books you want,i mean fiction or non-fictional books,iam reading detective books.i like American Mystery novels.it's very interesting ..
cheers..

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
- Robin Hobb - The Farseer Trilogy. Then the Liveship Traders and Tawny Man series.
- Mervyn Peake - Gormenghast
- Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time
- Terry Pratchett - Discworld series
- Alexandre Dumas - The Count of Monte Cristo
- Thomas Harris - Red Dragon, The Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal and Hannibal Rising

And anything by Anne McCaffrey, Raymond E. Feist, Stephen R. Donaldson, David Eddings, Tolkien

Last edited:
T

Testpilot

Derek Hanson:

Lunch with the Generals
Lunch with Mussolini
Lunch with the Stationmaster
Lunch with the Soldier.

A series of 4 books where the 4 main characters sit around in a resturant and tell stories. In these books they tell of how they came to be in Australia. I've read this series about 3 times and i still have unanswered questions-there is just that much depth to the story/characters. It makes you question whether what you have read is the truth or not.

Lunch with the Generals-story of a rich man having to leave Argentina, and how he met his wife. Not really a conventional romance (in fact i wouldn't describe it that way).

Lunch with Mussolini-Set in wartime Italy it shows how a young Italian girl was abused and then falls in love. Story runs through wartime Germany and Italy and continues in post war Australia. Again not a traditional romance. Despite wartime setting it is not like an All Quiet On The Western Front kind of book.

Lunch with the Stationmaster-Brilliantly told with a huge twist that will make you question the meaning behind every word in the book. Set in wartime Hungary, and follows onto the communist era. Very confronting.

Lunch with a Soldier-Set in rural Australia. Story of a family and its massive betrayal.

I think you'll fall in love with the characters of these books. Hanson writes well enough that it will be like you are there beside the characters. Each book of series has so many twists in the plot. I would recomend these books to anyone.

daledugahole

HSC
If you're just looking for something light to read on the beach I recommend The Promise by Lisa Clifford... and Almost French by Sarah Turnbull they're pretty interchangable but I find Lisa Clifford to be a more appealing person and I prefer the Italian setting as opposed to a French one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)