Boarding school? (1 Viewer)

xadrienne

HSC
hey so my mum wants me to go to boarding school [St. Vincent's College Potts Point] but I'm not sure whether its a good school and stuff .. and about boarding - anything I need to know?

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
I got no idea where that is. I am going boarding next year :) , so far i havent heard any negative comments regarding boadring from boarders at Scots, Shore and PLC. Many of them mention the fact that it's a good opptunity to allow you to prepare for your HSC.

You going as a weekly boader? And what year are you in?

Many people think "OMG u going to boadring school, you going to become gay" etc... but i dont think that happened well except for trinity grammar...

I just had a look on their website, it seem to be a very religious school and academic achievements is no where to be found (Maybe i missed it).

Last edited:

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
xadrienne said:
hey so my mum wants me to go to boarding school [St. Vincent's College Potts Point] but I'm not sure whether its a good school and stuff .. and about boarding - anything I need to know?
Don't go to boarding. It's a waste of time and the fees are through the roof. You could better off using the money on going to a private school unless your on a scholarship. I went to a boarding school for a yr and the food is terrible, you have to go to bed early, they force you to study for a set of hrs, you can't watch tv for more than half an hr, you can't go into your dorm in the afternoon and forced to stay outside and you certainly want to go home everyday. Well that was my school, but it might turn out different for yours.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Deltan said:
Don't go to boarding. It's a waste of time and the fees are through the roof. You could better off using the money on going to a private school unless your on a scholarship. I went to a boarding school for a yr and the food is terrible, you have to go to bed early, they force you to study for a set of hrs, you can't watch tv for more than half an hr, you can't go into your dorm in the afternoon and forced to stay outside and you certainly want to go home everyday. Well that was my school, but it might turn out different for yours.
Which school was that?

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
z600 said:
Which school was that?
St Gregory's College at campbelltown.
The only good reasons for going to a boarding school is if your interested in cattle stuff, you live in an area where there is no good school to attend or your on a scholarship.

dandel26

HSC
wow someone doing there HSC in 2010, thats a long time from now, anyways i always thought it would have been good to go to boarding school. Its just dreafully expensive but i reckon it would be worth it, think of the close friends u could make

xadrienne

HSC
well I might be going there as a full boarder and my mum wants me to go to boarding school in year 11-12 cause she thinks i need to focus more on my exams in those years o.o

YES ITS A FRICKIN RELIGIOUS SCHOOL, well cause we're catholic .. my mum says it's not only about the education .. but about morality :mad1: [i dont understand that bit either lol] but anyways .. well if there are other catholic boarding schools that you may know off [which are good] feel free to tell me xD

psst .. im doing full boarding cause im currently living in hong kong [cause of parents jobs]and we're probably moving back to sydney in two years but my mum thinks i should be in boarding school by then ..

all i know is that for their HSC results this year they were 137 in the state .. [which kinda seems like crap, but at least its better than other schools]

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
There isnt many good girls catholic borading schools. Wenona, PLC and Abbosleight boards but in dont think they are catholic.

James747

HSC
I haven't been to boarding before, but I have a friend who does. It's hell! You sleep early, and wake up even earlier! And you live a "set" timetable EVERYDAY!!! Perhaps it might not be like that at your school, cuz he's in New Zealand but I guess it'll still be somewhat similar.

kangarulz

Procrastinaton
HSC
st paul's college walla walla is a lutheran boarding school but its open to all denominations (and none). its a small school, about 280 people... great food, great culture and lots of activities.

xadrienne

HSC
well which catholic boarding schools in nsw are the best in terms of education?

it's annoying that it HAS to be catholic [blame my mum haha] but let's find the best catholic school shall we? xD

xadrienne

HSC
z600 said:
There isnt many good girls catholic borading schools. Wenona, PLC and Abbosleight boards but in dont think they are catholic.
i found out that Wenona is non-denominational .. so my mum can probably inquire there :) . so .. does anyone know what the school fees are? it doesnt say on the site

teaspoon

HSC
You guys must have had terrible boarding schools... I'm a boarder and it's absolutely awesome! The friends you make are stronger than any other friendships, and sure you go through ups and downs but it's all part of life.

Food at my school is not too bad, but a lot of us buy our own food on shopping leaves for when it's really bad. The rules are fairly restrictive but we can still go to parties, go shopping, movies etc as long as they know every detail of what we're doing.

I much prefer boarding than day school, a lot more fun and you can grow so much and live semi independantly.

xadrienne

HSC
teaspoon said:
You guys must have had terrible boarding schools... I'm a boarder and it's absolutely awesome! The friends you make are stronger than any other friendships, and sure you go through ups and downs but it's all part of life.

Food at my school is not too bad, but a lot of us buy our own food on shopping leaves for when it's really bad. The rules are fairly restrictive but we can still go to parties, go shopping, movies etc as long as they know every detail of what we're doing.

I much prefer boarding than day school, a lot more fun and you can grow so much and live semi independantly.
which school did you go to?

Trillium

HSC
boarding. *waves flag unenthusiastically* yay.
I go to a boarding school. Have done so since year 7. It's a private Catholic girls school. hehe.
Um. Yeah. There are set study times, set meal times and set bedtimes. Study at my school, for the younger girls, is at least two hours a night, in a classroom. It gets longer as you get older. Um. Some TV programs are killed, commo (room with TV and sink and toaster and stuff) is locked during study, dinner and night.
The food is terrible most of the time, and fire alarms go off periodically for drills. At night. In the rain.
Weekend activities on a sunday are compulsory for younger girls. Free weekends are limited. Mass in compulsory. gah.
In essence, the place sucks.
But it is better, id say, than staying at home where i would have been, and it is good for independence. And learning how to fool both people and computers. *glares at firewalls*
Lots of freedoms are restricted though.

xadrienne

HSC
Trillium said:
boarding. *waves flag unenthusiastically* yay.
I go to a boarding school. Have done so since year 7. It's a private Catholic girls school. hehe.
Um. Yeah. There are set study times, set meal times and set bedtimes. Study at my school, for the younger girls, is at least two hours a night, in a classroom. It gets longer as you get older. Um. Some TV programs are killed, commo (room with TV and sink and toaster and stuff) is locked during study, dinner and night.
The food is terrible most of the time, and fire alarms go off periodically for drills. At night. In the rain.
Weekend activities on a sunday are compulsory for younger girls. Free weekends are limited. Mass in compulsory. gah.
In essence, the place sucks.
But it is better, id say, than staying at home where i would have been, and it is good for independence. And learning how to fool both people and computers. *glares at firewalls*
Lots of freedoms are restricted though.
which school was that?
well cause my mum wants me to go to a catholic boarding school. and catholic ones are creepy :mad1: so i'm just curious which one you went to xD

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
I think wenona can cost up to 35K/year in years 11 and 12. I am going to Shore boarding next year as a weekly border (i live 10 blocks away) and it costs about 40K/year including uniform, textbooks etc.

xadrienne

HSC
z600 said:
I think wenona can cost up to 35K/year in years 11 and 12. I am going to Shore boarding next year as a weekly border (i live 10 blocks away) and it costs about 40K/year including uniform, textbooks etc.
wow thats pretty expensive.
has anyone heard of Loreto Normanhurst? yeah its catholic too [sadly] and they got scary uniform, but is their education good?

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
xadrienne said:
wow thats pretty expensive.
has anyone heard of Loreto Normanhurst? yeah its catholic too [sadly] and they got scary uniform, but is their education good?
I think loreto kirribilli is the good one. Ye loreto is pretty good and have ugly uniforms. try Ravenswood, school for girls

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)