• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Board of Studies Rules on Assessment Tasks (1 Viewer)

michael1990

HSC
Hey all,

Quick querie, our teachers have been saying that they cannot give out our assessment ranking due to Board of Studies Rules and Regulations.

Is this fair?

Why arent we allowed to know our assessment ranking?

What damage would it do?

Anyone else think its stupid?

HSC
I get my assessment rankings for most subjects...

michael1990

HSC
Without Wings said:
Read these: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/pdf_doc/ace_manual.pdf
www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/pdf_doc/HSC_assess_booklet.pdf

The board of studies does say that "Some schools may decide that it is appropriate to give each student a cumulative rank after each assessment task
or at key points throughout the course. However, schools need to be sure that correct weightings have been applied to the tasks before reporting such a measure of general progress."
Source: Board of Studies

The Board of Studies does have a rule that final submitted assessment marks are not available/not to be revealed to students.
Sorry, i should of clarified myself. I mean't having in class assessments and not being told your rank throughout the year?

does this make it easier?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
michael1990 said:
Sorry, i should of clarified myself. I mean't having in class assessments and not being told your rank throughout the year?

does this make it easier?
As Without Wings said, the school does not have to tell you, but it would be nice if they do. Just go to your head teacher or deputy and consult them about the matter. Tell them why you want your current ranks (such as to get an idea how you are going, etc..).

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Each school will set its own policy on this.

My school doesn't want us to give cumulative rankings but insists that we give task by task ranks.

We also aren't allowed to give the final ranks to students, as per the BOS Rules and Regulations, but I do know that many schools ignore that ruling.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
at my school ( the same as the OP ) most kids find their own assessment rank through talking to one another.

and really its only the top 5 that everyone is after.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
cem said:
We also aren't allowed to give the final ranks to students, as per the BOS Rules and Regulations, but I do know that many schools ignore that ruling.
Don't you mean final marks?

I can guess why many schools ignore the rule, because it is a stupid rule. I think they should tell you, this allows more transparency in the system. For example in my HSC last year. I calculated my weighted aggregate mark, from the individual marks from each assessment and the weightings, yet I came up with a mark different to what my school actually submitted. And my school didn't do any statistical adjustments. Hence there are problems with the current system.

wysewise

HSC
my school does similar things
we get ranks at random times throughout the year based on assessment tasks. the ranks usually come around a month after the task because it takes soooo long for the school to regulate the marks, standard deviations etc. due to students contesting for extra marks. My IPT teacher said it's a common school rule to not hand out overall ranks- this is because kids can get discouraged if ranked 9/9 (even though a rank out of 9 is barely an indication of where you stand against the state) and kids ranked first start getting lazy. The ranks change too often because of kids dropping as well.
:spam:

selablad

HSC
My school doesn't tell us, we have to guess based on talking to others...it's a fun challenge :D

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
We always get told our ranks (except for one boy who isnt allowed to find out his marks or ranks because he goes crazy at teachers when he does bad)

I dont know why they wouldnt tell you though. If anything, knowing ranks will make you put in more effort (like if you know you want to increase your rank).

runnable

HSC
We only get each assessment's marks and ranks. We are not supposed to get cumulative ranks (so we were told).

Paj20

HSC
michael1990 said:
Hey all,

Quick querie, our teachers have been saying that they cannot give out our assessment ranking due to Board of Studies Rules and Regulations.

Is this fair?

Why arent we allowed to know our assessment ranking?

What damage would it do?

Anyone else think its stupid?
because after it is sent in it is moderated so much it would give you a false impression of what your mark is.. you get it with your hsc marks though.. but really if you know the weighting of each, you could work out your assesment mark.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
me121 said:
Don't you mean final marks?

I can guess why many schools ignore the rule, because it is a stupid rule. I think they should tell you, this allows more transparency in the system. For example in my HSC last year. I calculated my weighted aggregate mark, from the individual marks from each assessment and the weightings, yet I came up with a mark different to what my school actually submitted. And my school didn't do any statistical adjustments. Hence there are problems with the current system.

No I meant ranks as the BOS says that students are not to receive their final rank until after all the HSC exams are complete. As our students have all finished and have their final reports we are never the ones to tell them either their final rank or mark (keeping in mind that the mark that is reported to you is the moderated mark and not the raw mark sent in by the school).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)