Blood Pressure (1 Viewer)

j-3-s-5

HSC
My first post so hope this works :p.

Just practicing a past paper and there is this question:

"Normal venous pressure in the feet is about 25mmHg. When a person stands completely still, the blood pressure in the fett rises very quickly to about 90mmHg.
Apply your understanding of the structure and function of blood vessels to explain this situation."

Its worth two marks and I'm a bit confused as to what we have to refer to.

Obviously describing the structure and function would get you one, but I have no idea of how this relates to blood pressure. lol.

Thanks in advance. :)

dolbinau

HSC
This is not an actual model answer, but what you have to talk about: The action of muscles around veins help the veins to pump blood. So, if you are still, then the blood isn't flowing as much and it builds up in your feet (gravity)

Is this a HSC question? It is quite specific and I didn't think everyone learnt it under the 'structure and function ' header.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
j-3-s-5 said:
My first post so hope this works :p.

Just practicing a past paper and there is this question:

"Normal venous pressure in the feet is about 25mmHg. When a person stands completely still, the blood pressure in the fett rises very quickly to about 90mmHg.
Apply your understanding of the structure and function of blood vessels to explain this situation."

Its worth two marks and I'm a bit confused as to what we have to refer to.

Obviously describing the structure and function would get you one, but I have no idea of how this relates to blood pressure. lol.

Thanks in advance. :)
Well you have learnt that the blood flows under low pressure in the viens, as it doesnt have the heart pumping it, but if you are standing up the blood has to fight gravity (thats why there are values) so im just assuming sine you stand up, the force pulling the blood in the veins towards the is greater, and therefore a greater force (from the rest of the blood behind it) is needed to take it back to the heart

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
dolbinau said:
This is not an actual model answer, but what you have to talk about: The action of muscles around veins help the veins to pump blood. So, if you are still, then the blood isn't flowing as much and it builds up in your feet (gravity)

Is this a HSC question? It is quite specific and I didn't think everyone learnt it under the 'structure and function ' header.
veins dont pump, its nothing that you learn in the hsc course

dolbinau

HSC
axlenatore said:
veins dont pump, its nothing that you learn in the hsc course

They use the muscles to help pump blood.

There is a good explanation here if you don't believe me:

http://www.antistax.co.uk/uk/Main/legveinhealth/musclepump/index.htm

The leg veins carry a large volume of blood, which collects in the lower legs as a result of gravity. These veins are surrounded by strong calf muscles, which act as a kind of pump to help the blood return to the heart. Every time you use your leg muscles, by walking or exercising your feet and legs, you are helping the ‘muscle pump’
The question specifically refers to activity by saying standing 'still' not up/down.

j-3-s-5

HSC
Thanks heaps. :)

Its from a past Barker trial paper. I am hoping the hsc isn't abstract as the questions in it. I prefer syllabus direct questions lol.

dolbinau

HSC
Yes I didn't think it was BOS, the HSC questions aren't as broad I've found.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)