Blood Pressure Regulation - HELP! (1 Viewer)

Anonymous1

HSC
Hey, can someone please help out here?

I need to create a feedback model for the control of blood pressure in mammals, being the control of changes to high and low blood pressure.

Can someone help me out here ? Possible link me to certain sites that would be very helpful.. I need to be able to identify the receptors, control center, and effectors in this feedback response.

Help would be very apprciated..

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I think the focus of this would be how ADH and Aldosterone are used to control blood pressure...the stuff in the articles +Po1ntDeXt3r+ posted seems to be a bit far off whats covered in the syllabus....

We had this question in our trial lol

The kidneys also respond directly to changes in blood pressure. If blood pressure increases, the kidneys increase their excretion of salt and water, so that blood volume decreases and blood pressure returns to normal. Conversely, if blood pressure decreases, the kidneys decrease their excretion of salt and water, so that blood volume increases and blood pressure returns to normal. The kidneys can increase blood pressure by secreting the enzyme renin, which eventually results in the production of the hormone angiotensin II. Angiotensin II helps increase blood pressure by causing the arterioles to constrict and by triggering the release of another hormone, aldosterone, which causes the kidneys to increase the retention of salt and water.
"The Body's Control of Blood Pressure" in the high blood pressure article would probably be most useful in relation to HSC bio

Last edited:
HSC
There was a multiple choice in our HSC (06) about blood pressure and how it is restored by the use of Aldosterone

Aldosterone is a hormone that is produced by the adrenal glands in the kidney. It is used to maintain a balance of salt hence water within the body's blood.

If Blood pressure (BP) is low Aldosterone stimulates the nephrons to decrease reabsorption of potassium and increase reabsorption of sodium into the blood. This leads to an increased reabsorption of chloride ions and water. The reabsorption of these substances in turn causes a rise in blood volume and BP.

However alternatively if BP is high (resulting from high salt concentration which causes H2O to be retained) ---> Aldosterone output is reduced ---> Less salt and H2O is reabsorbed by nephrons tubules ---> Increased amount of salt and water lost in urine

Hope that helps you with your question

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)