• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Blocking access to certain websites (1 Viewer)

Danger

HSC
anyone know how to block sites for both firefox mozilla and IE 7?

HSC
Depends how securely you want it blocked, there are ways around virtually any block. What's the purpose of blocking these sites?

Evilo

HSC
i use a netgear router and block metacafe, youtube etc on our network. It's pretty simple, and reasonably cheap. a small non-wireless router can be bought for a really cheap price - just check that it has the ability to block websites/keyboards.

yetsune

HSC
if you use Avast! antivirus, that also comes with a URL blocker that you can customize. i use it to block ads and banners.

HSC
Blocking Websites = Censorship = Faggottry.

On a useful note, if the people you're blocking it from know anything about computers, don't even consider a client-side software solution.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Your host file is a computer file used to store information on where to find a node on a computer network.

In Windows XP

1. Click Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt2. Click Command Prompt This will open a DOS command window.
3. Type: notepad C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts
4. Locate the line 127.0.0.1 localhost
5. To block the website google.com for example, just add this text under 127.0.0.1 localhost:

127.0.0.1 google.com
127.0.0.1 www.google.com

You can add as many sites any site, However you will need to prefix it with "127.0.0.1".

6. Save the file
Google will now be blocked in all web browser. This is an advanced but easy method on how to blow a website.

Evilo

HSC
Starcraftmazter - when you're paying for your portion of internet usage in my house then you have a right to whinge. Otherwise my censorship stays ;)

Also - i know most of the "bypass" tricks myself, i can block all of them!

HSC
chicky_pie said:
This is an advanced but easy method on how to blow a website.
And it's equally easy to reverse the changes to the hosts file.

Evilo said:
Starcraftmazter - when you're paying for your portion of internet usage in my house then you have a right to whinge. Otherwise my censorship stays ;)
If you don't like what some people use the internet for and you're paying for it, then why let them use it at all?

If it's just a house setup, then I really see no way to blocking websites in a fullproof way, unless you can get hold of some network hardware like a central hub which can do it, and password protect it's administrative area.

The department of education spends millions on their useless internet filtering software and hardware on multiple levels, and yet that never stops a certain person from looking at 4chan and playing games through his proxy.

Likewise, the Chinese government spends BILLIONS trying to block their citizens from all sorts of site. And they also fail pretty epically.

So really, censorship doesn't work, it can't work - it's just impossible. If you want total control over your internet connection - then don't let other people use it.

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
If you don't like what some people use the internet for and you're paying for it, then why let them use it at all?
Out of the genorisity of my heart, and people in the house need the internet for educational purposes.

Metcafe, youtube, myspace is/are not one of those educational websites

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)