Blade Runner (1 Viewer)

C'est la vie

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone here is doing Blade Runner/BNW at the moment? I've just finished doing Brave New World, and today we watched Blade Runner. OMG, you have no idea!! I can't stand the film! I didn't understand it at all! I mean, I get the drift of it, and I can see how it relates to BNW...but has anyone done Blade Runner in class yet? As in, disected the scenes, analysed it properly? If you have, and you've got nothing better to do, do you feel like giving me a run down on it? Just think, it's good study for you. lol.

That's basically it; I will love you forever if anyone can help. Or links to good sites about the film? Okay, I'm out of here...

Love Katie xox

loznadam

yeh we are watching it in class to. um the excel study guide is really good

nick86

agreed, the study guide is good, but I think it's a good idea to have your own ideas and knowledge of the text.

Last edited:

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
funny that, i didn't really like the excel version. but i guess it's good for examples.
the main thing about 'in the wild' is comparison of ideas with some supporting techniques. know those and you can almost never go wrong. this was my main argument, you don't have to agree...
e.g. brave new world - idea that nature is a source for exploitation. cannot go back to it, but make a compromise (world to complex and advanced that compromise between happiness (technology) and 'nature' is the only way forward) - proof: mond's speech in chapters 6 and 7, lenina's inability to understand bernard, john the savage's suicide.
blade runner - idea that the way forward is to go back to nature (technology is destroying the world and humanity). proof: roy and the dove, deckard and rachael, (there are so many examples)

^during the HSC i went with this idea with all assessables because the syllabus requires you to 'compare and contrast'. you can also argue the emergence of a new 'wild', how nature can be redicovered through technology (blade runner). also, it makes things a lot easier if you redefine the wild in essays. e.g. nature/human nature and wild are synonymous, etc

i hope that makes sense. good luck! this was my favourite topic cos you can even touch on some pholosphical ideas too. maybe focault, idea of social-Darwinism, marxism, imperialism, etc etc

if you're confused pm me and maybe i can send you a sample response

Last edited:

Jono

HSC
Yeh I hated the film at first, but once you watch it a few times and begin to understand it more fully you appreciate it much more... its very clever if nothing else...

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
BTW, this completely off the topic i know, but does anyone need an english tutor? i live in the kingsford/kensington area and can do tutorials at UNSW (sorry, i have no car!)
topics studied: BNW/BR, powerplay, speeches
also can do biology, and chemistry if you're desperate :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)