blade runner (1 Viewer)

LeesY

does anyone know the intertextuality that is portrayed in the film blade runner? which is for my module A...
does it relate to the christian motives of batty and tyrell and how he played god etc?

jaNetix

yes.
the intertextuality relates to God being played by Tyrell. in that he manufactures life, creates 'people'
his building acends into the heavens....blah blah..
a realli good scene for this is the meeting b/w batty and tyrell. batty is like the prodigal son who returns to his maker demmanding more life. and talk abt the visuals of the scene.

theres a lot to say abt it!
watch it again..
i should start studyin 4 this module ay!??

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Two examples of intertextuality are as follows;
-The design of Tyrell's building is reminiscent of a Mayan temple, implying a god-like role in this world. (Heightened by the manner in which it is depicted, seperated from the city, omnipotent)
-One of the chess games within the film follows the exact sequence of a 1851 match known as 'The Immortal Game'. (I didn't find this one out myself.)

Although it's not really relevant to Tyrell, perhaps the advertising throughout the film can be seen as intertextual, seeing it's designed to convey 'reality', in the use of companies such as Coca-Cola and Atari. (Ironically, Atari faced economic crisis within two years of the film's production.)

loukia

intertextuality

also in roy battys quoting of religious figure Milton.....

allyteaded

Why does Ridley Scott direct Roy Batty to drive a nail through his hand? Remind you of something? Intertextuality of Christ's crucifixion perhaps?

Dove symbolises peace and hope - (Noah's arc)

I think Batty is compared to Jesus the same way John is in Brave New World. There's a part where he whips himself - maybe that could relate? I'm sure there are many other examples I've forgotten...

ssj_goku

Both John and Batty could be said to have been introduced as fallen angels. This was obvious with Batty (Milton quote) and in the case of John, in that he has "fallen" from the "Heaven" of the "New World". Why did I use so many "?:confused:

narrator

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ssj_goku
Both John and Batty could be said to have been introduced as fallen angels. This was obvious with Batty (Milton quote) and in the case of John, in that he has "fallen" from the "Heaven" of the "New World". Why did I use so many "?:confused:
it's not just john and batty, all the people of Los Angeles are living in a city of fallen angels.

batty's real religious connection is that he is a manufactured god

ssj_goku

Originally posted by narrator
it's not just john and batty, all the people of Los Angeles are living in a city of fallen angels.
Do you even know the meaning of fallen angel? There are two prerequisites.
1. You have to at one stage have been an angel.
2. You have to have fallen.

The people of Los Angeles are the Forsaken not the Fallen. Thats the whole point, they're the Colonies rejects put quite simply, left to wallow in the fecal matter of their own civilisation. Batty was introduced however as a fallen angel, not a manufactured god. However over the course of the story he did ascend to attain his true divinity, but in this instance it was a natural divinity, not artificial. However, it could be said that the human race are fallen angels, in their annihilation of the natural world etc.

narrator

HSC
N/A
they are the forsaken only because they have fallen from their once, yet unseen, purity.

batty was a manufactured god, more human than human, suggesting teh next stage of humanity, which is seen as divinity, although even he has defects

ssj_goku

Originally posted by narrator
they are the forsaken only because they have fallen from their once, yet unseen, purity.

batty was a manufactured god, more human than human, suggesting teh next stage of humanity, which is seen as divinity, although even he has defects
Divinity is not the only prerequisite of Godliness, angels are divine creatures. Batty could not be seen as a God because he does not fill a Creator role. He is the golem, not the God. In addition, the people of LA never had purity, although humanity itself once did. Therefore, the people of La are not fallen angels, as nice as you must think the "a city of fallen angels" pun on LA might sound in a response.

allyteaded

Wow... the whole fallen angels thing is really interesting!

I read somewhere - there's a scene where after Batty crushes Tyrell's skull, you see him decending in an elevator.

You could refer that to the whole "fallen angel/lucifer" thing. Or "prodigal son."

Oh yeah... that's another one. Tyrell says Batty's their "prodigal son."

Now - Leesy raised a good question that I don't think has been answered well 'nuf....

we need more examples of how it links to BNW.

I need help on this anyway. Any ideas about John's death?

It's a suicide, yes. But a lot of people say it was an honourable act because he chose to die in a lighthouse. (symbol of broadcasting his message... etc. This is used very often.)

Anyone want to elaborate?

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
well it's not really related to Johns death - but there are many images in the text where he compares himself to christ -
ie. when he gets kicked out of the tribe initiation thing and goes and stands in the bush alone (i hope u get where i'm talking about!)
the whole coca-cola advertising thing in br can be linked to bnw - the symbol of the model-t ford is present the whole way through (our ford etc..)
hth a little

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)