Blackholes....what do you think? (1 Viewer)

Drsoccerball

HSC
A black hole occurs when a star dies and its escape velocity is greater than the speed of light. Considering Einstein's theory of special and general relativity if i travel at 0.9999c towards the center of the black hole (The speed is only the rockets thrust) would Einstein's theory break and would i travel faster than the speed of light since it is pulling me at speeds greater than c and i am close to c ?

will_hill98

HSC
No, the theory of relativity and all other postulates would still hold true in our universe during the process of being "accelerated" towards the black hole. Remember that deep space is not truly empty, and there will be other particles in the "space" you would be moving through. Considering this, you would encounter a sort of "air" resistance, and this would result in you reaching a terminal velocity which the acceleration due to the black hole's gravity could produce. Since you are travelling theoretically faster than this, and since according to the relativistic equations your mass would be approaching infinity, the added velocity would be negligible if any, and therefore you would continue to travel below the speed of light.

You cannot travel at or faster than the speed of light, because your energy is being converted into mass and so the acceleration becomes so small it is virtually non-existent (and hence negligible). Therefore, this idea is completely impossible. But it was an interesting question... :)

will_hill98

HSC
And additionally, a black hole is a singularity with increased escape velocity at the surface (or event horizon) of the "hole". But, like all other masses in the universe, it obeys the law of universal gravitation and so the escape velocity is significantly less as you get further and further away from the black hole.

Drsoccerball

HSC
No, the theory of relativity and all other postulates would still hold true in our universe during the process of being "accelerated" towards the black hole. Remember that deep space is not truly empty, and there will be other particles in the "space" you would be moving through. Considering this, you would encounter a sort of "air" resistance, and this would result in you reaching a terminal velocity which the acceleration due to the black hole's gravity could produce. Since you are travelling theoretically faster than this, and since according to the relativistic equations your mass would be approaching infinity, the added velocity would be negligible if any, and therefore you would continue to travel below the speed of light.

You cannot travel at or faster than the speed of light, because your energy is being converted into mass and so the acceleration becomes so small it is virtually non-existent (and hence negligible). Therefore, this idea is completely impossible. But it was an interesting question... :)
First of all my physics teacher said it may be possible but since theres no evidence we dont know... Secondly Terminal velocity only applies if it the object is "falling" But doesnt apply if you have thrusters at the back of a rocket... But a black hole is defined by one which as they "even light can't escape" and in astro we learnt that a black hole has an escape velocity higher than the speed of light it will form a black hole (or greater than 3 solar masses) so therefore if im using 0.999c from my rocket fair enough my mass increases but its not infinity... So i don't need infinite fuel and plus the black hole is pulling me in faster than the speed of light so i will travel faster than the speed of light.

Drsoccerball

HSC
And additionally, a black hole is a singularity with increased escape velocity at the surface (or event horizon) of the "hole". But, like all other masses in the universe, it obeys the law of universal gravitation and so the escape velocity is significantly less as you get further and further away from the black hole.
But with my rocket im moving towards the center of the blackhole...

Last edited:

Kaido

be.
HSC
I dont think classical (and perhaps even quantum) physics apply in a region of infinite density, so Einstein's theory can be ruled out, gg

Last edited:

mrpotatoed

HSC
Somewhat unrelated but related at the same time but doesn't time slow down as you approach heavy masses, so, as you approach the black hole time will slow down and if the mass of a black hole is theoretically infinite then time will stop in your frame of reference as you approach the singularity?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)