• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Black or not? (1 Viewer)

babygoose!

>>rraahhh<<
HSC
no i dont think black should be worn, something nice should be worn , because i see a funeral as the celebration of someone's life..and hence you should wear clothes that that person would normally see you in..it would seem strange to dress in black if you were normally say a 'pink' person...because you are not being the same person that shared your life with the deceased.... thats like a funeral i went to that was of an old surf clubie....we all wore our thongs and surf club uniforms...because that is what he only ever saw us in...

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by kimmeh
white is traditionally for weddings. As said somewhere above, it depends on the request. I know some funerals dont require you to wear black, but wear a balck band around your head with casual. But generally, i would wear black
Yeah. Some families may request you come in colours, as a memorial and to lighten the spirit. Don't know if it works, the only funeral I've been to I had to wear my school uniform.

= Jennifer =

HSC
Originally posted by GirlGoneMad
Hey, could anyone please help me with a survey for my PIP? Its only one question. Its to show continuity/change in a particular funeral custom as an example. Thanks in advance. :p

Would you wear black to a funeral? Why/why not?
Yes i would wear black to a funeral as it is always been part of the lebanese custom to wear black at funerals as a sign of respect for the deceased

Rory

HSC
No, I never wear black to a funeral (I've been to about four), simply because I wear black a lot in every day clothes and I don't want it to be connected to sombre events in my life.

I feel like a funeral is a final tribute to someones life and I don't think wearing black is appropriate. During a funeral I feel we shouldn't mourn their death but be happy for the life they lived.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
it depends on the culture. i'm chinese, i've been to two funerals and both were close family members, and all relatives had to wear white. everyone else that came to pay their respects either wore black or darkish colours.

of course, it's just a tradition... if you guys remember jess from BB2, her brother died in teh bali bombings, and everyone who attended his funeral wore bright colours to reflect his personality.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i've been to three funerals, one i don't remember what i wore, quite possibly my school uniform actually, the other one i think i wore black because it was my surrogate grandfather and i was very distraught and didn't feel like wearing anything colourful and the last one i wore a black wrap dress because i didn't know the family very well and i thought it was respectful considering that she drove me to school nearly every day for 2 1/2years. in general, my principle is black or at least muted colours.

Aerials

your member for ulladulla
HSC
depends where I was I guess... if Australia most probably black - as is the tradition. But in some parts of the world, like some latin american cultures its respectful to wear red, or other colours, to celebrate the person's life.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
It depends on the familys' requests.. but i would generally wear mostly black yeah

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
yes i would based on traditional mourning outfits.
BUT then depends on the culture that the deceased.
westernised countries are popular with black, but the traditional colours for asia would be white.

but in my opinion black is the better option.

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
i'd probably not wear black..cuz in my culture/ religion we generally wear white or dull shades of any colour..nothing gaudy obviously but generally we dont wear all black at funerals.

rumour

HSC
Originally posted by GirlGoneMad
Hey, could anyone please help me with a survey for my PIP? Its only one question. Its to show continuity/change in a particular funeral custom as an example. Thanks in advance. :p

Would you wear black to a funeral? Why/why not?
Believe it or not, but I have never been to a funeral!!

Also we don't wear black to funerals in my religion!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)