bittorrent @ UNSW revisited (1 Viewer)

is a roflcopter
HSC
perhaps a bit to clarify

im looking into alternative ways to distribute guild policy papers and other materials. Bittorrent was one of these alternatives that was suggested

to the person that refered me to UNSW Policy: nowhere in that document suggests that the activity for which i am proposing contravenes UNSW policy.

to the person that closed my thread: Just because you have some predisposed assumption that all bittorrent related issues are related to the distribution of items that infringe copyright or perhaps even drawing experience from your own personal unscrupulous use of bittorrent or whatever it is... please dont shoot before you ask questions

to babydoll: i love you

now if you will excuse me, my modchipped ps2 is ready and i need to download all these games at the guild

:eek:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Are guild policy papers particularly large files?

A torrent seems a bit excessive... why not just host them somewhere.

Raginsheep

HSC
It's probably the "other materials" that are a bit large ;)

is a roflcopter
HSC
perhaps it was due to the old administrations choice of templates
but the 4 page thing was 8 megs........i dont know what crazy macros they put in them but yeah

my question was do torrents work at uni, that was all

all these allegations that im about to start a big warez farm at the guild are lies! LIES! hehe

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
It won't work because none of the uni computers have bit torrent and i doubt the computer adminstration would allow it to be installed onto the computers.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Newbie: I understand your situation. However, I really suggest you stay away from BitTorrent for your distribution network, due to the fact that UNSW IT services frown upon anybody installing a BitTorrent client on the computer. I think that while technically you are not breaking any rules, just imagine the nightmare the university would have if each computer had a BitTorrent client. With regards to the UNSW computing use rules, see section 4.10 and 4.11 - you might have some problems there.

While BitTorrent can be used for legitimate purposes, in most cases, it is known as a major front for distribution of pirated material. It's probably in the best interests of the Guild to steer away from this BitTorrent issue. I think you might want to consider cutting down on the 8 megs documents stuff. Make them smaller.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Newbie said:
perhaps it was due to the old administrations choice of templates
but the 4 page thing was 8 megs........i dont know what crazy macros they put in them but yeah
why don't you just try to make the files smaller, as opposed to install BT across uni...

[yes i have seen it done ;)]

rand0m3r

HSC
or perhaps you could try www.utorrent.com . it's a bt client that doesn't install any files on the computer, just run the .exe . see if it works.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
politik said:
The reason why bitTorrent is the supreme internet sharing medium today is due to the fact that once a file is seeded, it can be hosted by any number of computers - hence sharing the bandwidth, lowering the uploaded data sent, and making the files fast for all.

A host is useless when it gets hammered.
Forgive my ignorance, but what documents could you possibly produce that equal past 50 megs?

Affinity

HSC
If people bother to use BT to fetch material, surely they wouldn't mind jsut walking up to the guild.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
politik said:
The reason why bitTorrent is the supreme internet sharing medium today is due to the fact that once a file is seeded, it can be hosted by any number of computers - hence sharing the bandwidth, lowering the uploaded data sent, and making the files fast for all.

A host is useless when it gets hammered.
Yeah, cause there's somehow gonna be a mad rush on policy papers.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Seeing as the topic was policy papers, and that the issues you brought up were due to demand and the hammering of servers/hosts, i thought it was a logical progression.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)