Bit (1 Viewer)

orly?

HSC
what are the jobs u can get by studying the BIT course @ UTS?

i`m interested in networking atm.

DJGerber

3rd Year BIT @ UTS
HSC
The BIT course is aimed at those who want to move into a senior management role in IT. Cisco Systems are actually a sponsor of the BIT course and actively recruit BIT graduates.

You may also want to check out the BScIT course. While both courses include core networking subjects and provide the flexibility to focus on networking through electives, the BScIT course allows you to graduate with a major in Internetworking and Applications.

Beege

HSC
Are there elective subjects for the BSCIT + ITPP course? like multimedia/web stuff?

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
DJGerber said:
The BIT course is aimed at those who want to move into a senior management role in IT. Cisco Systems are actually a sponsor of the BIT course and actively recruit BIT graduates.
I just don't get what is this jumping on the band wagon that BIT is for those who "want to move into a senior management role in IT", and I have even heard "apply for BIT if you want to climb the corporate ladder."

There is no hard and fast rule that BIT guarantees you would be in a management role - senior one. To do well at any degree you need to be an all-rounder - get experience, take part into extracurricular activities, do well academically, lead groups - that is all you need to do, even if you do BScIT. Be conscientious and an active learner and there is no way that you won't be deemed as good or even better than many BITs.

I know I am better than many BITs. I didn't apply for the BIT program because I had been in Australia just 3 yrs when I finished my HSC and I chose BScIT instead - does it mean I am not good enough to be in senior management? I have worked very hard to get IBM on my resume and taken part in extracurricular stuff. I received 3 awards at IBM during my ACS WIL scholarship year there and an interview in the ACS magazine - now does every BIT get that? I am hoping to get quiet a few offer this year! I deem myself better than many who are just spoon fed. I have done my struggle through my degree and it has been worthwhile.

The crux is to be successful at your uni career you don't need to be a BIT. To aspire to be in management you don't have to be a BIT. You can be a BScIT and still work hard and make opportunities for yourself and take opportunities that come your way! I'd rather be a BScIT, in my time at UTS I have just met like 2-3 down to earth BITs so I suggest wherever you get, remember that humility and modesty are the most important virtues or when you fall down, you will hit the ground hard.

No offence intended.

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Beege said:
I would partly assume that the 2006 electives are similar to those which will be offered as the 24CP elective that you can choose in the BScIT course:
http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/2006/directory/cbk90161.html

But I'm not too sure myself; the BScIT course was restructured in 2007, so those incoming students would still be doing their core subjects this year. Until then, I don't think there will be an update to your link.

If you want to press on for an answer, by all means contact the IT Student Centre: http://it.uts.edu.au/contact/index.html

n00bi3z said:
Yea, I have to admit BITs are a lazy and weird bunch of people; they always seem happy...too happy <_< >_>.
In my first 6 months (1 semester) of BScIT in which the BITs did the same core subjects, I noticed that all of them stay in their little group of other BITs. I don't know if this has changed or not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, all you have to do to get into the BIT course is to get a good UAI and show genuine interest in doing IT in the future. Going back to what lil_star said, this does not guarantee a senior management in IT. Unfortunately I don't see improved chances of entering senior management correlating to those who enter the BIT program over those who do BScIT.

Last edited:

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Huratio said:
In my first 6 months (1 semester) of BScIT in which the BITs did the same core subjects, I noticed that all of them stay in their little group of other BITs. I don't know if this has changed or not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, all you have to do to get into the BIT course is to get a good UAI and show genuine interest in doing IT in the future. Going back to what lil_star said, this does not guarantee a senior management in IT. Unfortunately I don't see improved chances of entering senior management correlating to those who enter the BIT program over those who do BScIT.
Yeh they do tend to stick in a group. In my year, many just sat at the back chatting on msn. And wouldn't even bother to say hello if they knew you and spent time at the back of the lecture playing games - I am not saying all are like that, but many are. But anyway that aside, you need to be confident in your knowledge too, besides having industry experience. Many people take knowledge for granted when they have industry experience.

I believe, you need to have had extracurricular activities and leadership qualities to get into BIT. However, these are something you can build at uni through being a Yellow Shirt, Sprouts, Boston Consulting Group (BCG) Business Strategy competition - I have done all these and doing BCG this year - after going through intense auditions at UTS. You can also do peer networking and it would be good on your resume. Network alot, make yourself known and if you are good you would be noticed anyway.

So even if you get into BScIT - you don't only get to do a sub major in a year longer degree, but you can do your research and do the hard yards to find an industrial training place in your 3rd year. If you have the right attitude and you struggle, I don't see why you won't get into strategic management if you aspire to by doing BScIT!?

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
I'm a first year BIT and although we do tend to spend time in a group, i have a large group of BScIT friends who i sit with as well so don't think that the BITs completely segregate themselves from the rest of the course... in a lecture of over 300 people it's good to have people you know and because the BITs do a heap of stuff as an individual group, such as weekly industry talks and networking drinks, they get to know each other a little bit better.

@Huratio - BScit and BIT were both restructured this year. this semester is all core subjects and i do communications for it professionals (ethics and presentation skills), web systems (unix and html), programming fundamentals (java) and introduction to information systems (looking at it in context... ipt)

BScIT has the diploma at the end of the course which still gives you the work experience the BIT does, only difference is that in the BIT you are guarenteed a spot at one of the sponsor courses and that there are projects in the industry training which count towards your actual degree. This year there's a variety of sponsors, including David Jones, IBM, ING Bank, Unilever, QAD, CSR, Amex, Optus and Westpac.

BIT doesn't guarentee you a high-paying management job, but it does help with networking. Being a girl, Westpac sponsored all the girls in our course to go to a Women's Day Lunch this year at Parliament House where Kate Vale, who is the head of Sales and Operations of Google Australia spoke, and we were lucky to meet her afterwards as well as many high-level industry women.

To get into the BIT course, you don't have to be a genius with computers - the main difference with the BIT course and the BScIT course is that the BIT is BUSINES S AND IT whilst the BScIT is more COMPUTER SCIENCE... that's why theres more of a focus on industry in the BIT course... and not everyone in the BIT course is a massive nerd - there's a few people in my year (we have 21 students) who are more focused on the business side and won't be taking any computing electives. But saying that, there's still the people focused directly on taking all computing electives... its up to you how you structure your course.

And although it does say they want a UAI of over 90, if you get 80s it doesn't mean you wont get in... they want people with experience and leadership qualities and who are interested in IT - which can be incorporated into any business... i have people in my year who didn't get over 90 but because of their interview and application form proved they were right for the course.

I don't see why you would not consider at least applying for the course... there's no harm in trying and this year theyve changed the application system where there'll be two admission rounds, with the first in the june hols so at least you dont have to stress over applications and interviews during and after your hsc.

the money does make a difference.... it means that you are able to concentrate on your degree full time rather than having to stress over a part time job and juggle all the assessments you receive from uni at the same time. it also means that when you go into industry its a lot easier to buy clothes because usually industry clothes can be really expensive so you can afford them...

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
I'm referring to the electives for BScIT, the UTS website doesn't explain alot on this page: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/cbk90783.html

Lil_Star and I are just commenting on DJ Gerber's comment of "The BIT course is aimed at those who want to move into a senior management role in IT". We are not degrading the degree of such; just saying that there are senior management opportunities in any course you do. Whether you do BScIT or BIT, you will be able to work your way up the corporate ladder. Both degrees allow you to network as they both have industry placement, so you aren't really losing anything.

So you really can't say that one course is better over the other, they both have their benefits in different forms.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Yeh, except in BScIT you find your own placement - but hey if you have done well in your degree, there is no reason why you won't get a job? Is UTS the only university left in Sydney? No. Not all universities offer co-op programs, but the world doesn't end there.

You can still focus on business side of IT while doing BScIT. And if you do well at programming too, that just tells that you are well rounded academically and spread your time across all subjects, business or IT. And I don't think BScIT has much to do with "Computer Science". I believe you haven't looked at USyd Computer Science courses? Computer science is so much more focused on the technical side of IT.

Also, I don't know how an 18 year old out of high school can possibly want and know that they want to be in senior management - let alone know what is management? You learn this once you come across subjects like SDP and do your industrial training and you move towards making up your mind on whether you would enjoy management/leadership. Not everyone wants to do that and may be it would be a few years until many students graduate and are serious about management anyway. Not everyone is equally ambitious either. And that can be a BIT or a BScIT!

And you know what I may be fortunate, but I have worked most of the time during my degree and I still have a D average. And I am not alone. You just learn time management skills when you are juggling work, uni and extracurricular activities. I realise the money is handy, but really, does the world end if you work and study? What if when you have graduated and you work full time and study part time to get a Masters, what would you do to support yourself if you just couldn't do both at the same time? So you do learn a lot of good skills managing your time between different things while at university.

Sometimes I find the perception is that only BITs are the ones going to be in management first and seems like BScITs are considered a 2nd grade degree students. I don't like that prejudice at UTS and I am going to discuss this with the concerned people when I finish university, in near future. There are some very smart and well rounded people in BScIT too who aim to be in senior management =). Thats the point many need to understand.

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
lil_star said:
You can still focus on business side of IT while doing BScIT. And if you do well at programming too, that just tells that you are well rounded academically and spread your time across all subjects, business or IT. And I don't think BScIT has much to do with "Computer Science". I believe you haven't looked at USyd Computer Science courses? Computer science is so much more focused on the technical side of IT.
Under the restructured BScIT you can do a Major/Two sub-majors/Electives (48CP) other than your general IT major. Looking from this list: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/cbk90782.html; you can touch on Accounting, Economics, Management, Advertising and Marketing. The ones I've pointed out are 24CP, so there is nothing from stopping you do two. But if you just like IT, you can always do another 48CP major (double major).

So it is really much your choice if you want to apply business theory to information technology.

Beege

HSC
Just a quick question. During the 9 months work experience do they pay you as well like a normal full time employee?

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Beege said:
Just a quick question. During the 9 months work experience do they pay you as well like a normal full time employee?
Yes for BScIT you do during your 9 months in the industry. It would be insane working without money for 9 months. However, since its an internship, it usually doesn't go over 35k-36k for upto 12 months.

DJGerber

3rd Year BIT @ UTS
HSC
lil_star said:
Sometimes I find the perception is that only BITs are the ones going to be in management first and seems like BScITs are considered a 2nd grade degree students. I don't like that prejudice at UTS and I am going to discuss this with the concerned people when I finish university, in near future. There are some very smart and well rounded people in BScIT too who aim to be in senior management =). Thats the point many need to understand.
I think that perception is all in your head. I certainly don't think that way and I'm not sure what has led you to think that way. It would however explain your immediate defensive argument which really wasn't a reaction to anything I said but rather what you thought I was saying or expected me to say based on that perception.

lil_star said:
I just don't get what is this jumping on the band wagon that BIT is for those who "want to move into a senior management role in IT", and I have even heard "apply for BIT if you want to climb the corporate ladder."
By senior management role, I'm talking about a business-oriented people leader position, a role which you will find towards the top of the corporate ladder. Such a role requires leadership qualities including excellent communication and interpersonal skills as well as a genuine interest in business, rather than just a technical skill-set.

The FIT website outlines what they are looking for in the interview process @ http://it.uts.edu.au/course/scholarship/bit/interview.html. One of the points is "Students who are: Motivated with the capacity to progress to a senior level of management" - straight from the horses mouth and therefore not simply jumping on the bandwagon.

It should be obvious that this doesn't mean that other courses wouldn't allow you to achieve the same outcome. It simply means, as is stated on the website and as I said, that the course is aimed more towards such people. No exclusions, only inclusions.

If you would prefer a more balanced argument, even though the thread is titled "Bit", I can recommend the BScIT course (Business Information Systems Management major) as an obvious alternative to the scholarship program.

lil_star said:
There is no hard and fast rule that BIT guarantees you would be in a management role - senior one. ... To aspire to be in management you don't have to be a BIT.
I totally agree with your arguments but I don't see how they are relevant. The course still remains aimed at people who want to be leaders rather than those who do not. That doesn't mean that people studying other courses are excluded from what the BIT course is aimed at. I don't know why you would think that. There are many courses at UTS which overlap in content, but they are all slightly different and therefore have different aims.

Last edited:

DJGerber

3rd Year BIT @ UTS
HSC
Huratio said:
It is likely that BITs would stick together because they are all friends from the beginning. In our year we met up even before the FIT camp because BIT offers are a part of the early round offers for University and at that time BScIT students hadn't been admitted to UTS.

Just as you would sit with your friends in a lecture, BITs will do the same, because we are all friends. This doesn't mean that they aim to 'exclude' anyone from another course; not at all. BITs only share the first semester with other students and are then off to do industry placement for half a year. It just makes sense that you're going to make friends with people doing your course who attend all your subjects and sponsor meetings etc. And it just makes sense that you would sit near your friends at tutorials.

Huratio said:
Going back to what lil_star said, this does not guarantee a senior management in IT. Unfortunately I don't see improved chances of entering senior management correlating to those who enter the BIT program over those who do BScIT.
The improved chances of entering a management role in IT comes from the personality of the candidature. Those selected are 'excellent communicators with good interpersonal skills' which is a requirement of those in a management position. It is therefore logical that there are more potential managers in a pool of 25 BITs who have been selected for these skills than there would be in a pool of students who are a mix; such as those completing the BScIT course.

BScIT students have as much opportunity as any BIT - nobody has denied that. I think you were just following on from lil_star's tangent.

Last edited:

DJGerber

3rd Year BIT @ UTS
HSC
lil_star said:
I am hoping to get quiet a few offer this year!
Are you applying for graduate programs? Because I know that most, if not all, have closed already. Which ones did you apply for? Or are you looking for non-graduate roles?

DJGerber

3rd Year BIT @ UTS
HSC
n00bi3z said:
Yea, I have to admit BITs are a lazy and weird bunch of people; they always seem happy...too happy <_< >_>.
Haha, we can't be too lazy. There are rules which allow the Uni to kick us out of the course if we perform poorly. That hasn't happened in our year, with the exception of one BScIT student who was brought into the BIT program but didn't perform well and didn't return the following semester.

EDIT: With lil_star's mental state in mind, let me say that another BScIT student was also brought into the BIT program and is one of the best performers academically of the group.

Last edited:

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
DJGerber said:
Are you applying for graduate programs? Because I know that most, if not all, have closed already. Which ones did you apply for? Or are you looking for non-graduate roles?
I have 2 offers so far, IBM and Macquarie Bank. Now trying to reach a decision :). You?

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
DJGerber said:
EDIT: With lil_star's mental state in mind, let me say that another BScIT student was also brought into the BIT program and is one of the best performers academically of the group.
Sorry, is that meant to be an offence =/?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)