Bit (2 Viewers)

jayz

walking
Bachelor of Information Technology, what are the differences in the program structures of this degree if u have received or didn't receive the scholarship?

and How similar is it to the Bachelor of information systems degree offered in UNSW?

Last edited:
HSC
hmm from what i can gather, the BIT at UNSW is more Business/commerce based than BIT at UTS! This is evident when the UTS course is run by the IT faculty whilst the UNSW one is run by the Economics/commerce faculty!

My sister is in her final year of B Information Systems at UNSW and i reckon the stuff she does is fairly mixed! I mean, she did a bit of programming, database modelling, and i think she is doing systems analysis atm but id have nfi!

hope that helps...

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
jayz ; from what i can gather, the scholarship basicly gives you the money. the course/program structure would remain the same.

HSC
is there a BIT course at UTS wihtout the scholarship? i always thought it was scholarship or nothing!

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
i THINK its only for scholarship people, unless you transfer.

jayz

walking
sounds to be a resonable course, do u guys like the IT faculty building? (r there good facilities provided 4 the course in terms of the educational experience?)

HSC
hmmmm i found out that macquarie is offering a new course this year!
1. B Information Technology
2. B Business Administration B Information Technology

ill be going to macquarie this weekend to check it out...ill report back on my findings!

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
jayz ; the IT building is no doubt the best building in UTS. Its got all the facilities you need for studying an IT degree, windows and linux labs etc. oh and it looks good!

dont forget uts is also offereing a new degree b business / b computing.

jayz

walking
any scholarships for those new degrees?
since it is a new degree, would u imagine of any resonable career prospectives for the future graduates?
thanks

HSC
nah i dont think there are any scholarships for the macquarie degrees
BUT according to the Macquarie "open day program" the projected UAI cutoff will be 90...

well i cant comment on career prospects for future grads coz noone has done it yet!! but i am assuming it wont be as good as UTS coz Macquarie isnt as well known for its IT faculty

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
I am applying for the BIT at UTS. It seems like a very good course and the scolarship is a real bonus. However I was putting my trial results and ranks down and... I dont know they will pick me because it looks so bad!!!

I have enough extra curriclar activities and work experience, its just the academic side thats poor.

fatmuscle

HSC
yeah, definitely try out for BIT at UTS.

I tried it and wasn't successful.
Doesn't matter how smart you are either!

I had no chance of getting into the course, but I still managed to get past the first round which is a HUGE step.

Normally there's like 400+ applicants and they only accept 100 for the interviews.
Interviews are held over 2 days in 2 sessions per day.
They interviewers are 2 people. One from the Faculty of IT @ UTS and the other is a company sponsor. They both interview you giving you scenarios and asking about particular Q's on your scholarship form.

I BSed a lot of crap for the scenario and made it past the interview round.
I think it's about 30-40? people that actually make it past the interview round.

Oh yeah, after the interview, you're sent a letter. The letter fits into 3 categories
1. Sorry, Goodbye, Thanks for coming.
2. You did well in the interview, but you'll need to do REALLY WELL in your HSC to get in.
3. We like you heaps, if you get a decent mark (94+ I think it is) you'll be in for sure.

Not many people get cat3. obviously most fall under cat1. Be happy if you get Cat2!

jayz

walking
comparatively BIT scholarships r easier to earn than other coop scholarships on offer, so i'd assume comparatively i would have a larger possibility in gaining xceptance.
(comments by an extreme optimist)

HSC
yeah im just gonna report on my experience at Macquarie today..

well i checked out the IT stuff...went to the lecture and everything but didnt find it as impressive as UTS!
but i did find out that they DO offer scholarships but not as many...but its not co-op...
i think they hand out 3 scholarships or something for first year...
they also give out scholarships to those who achieve 94+UAI i think...dont quote me on that

macquarie looked alright...but it did not compare to UTS! the building wasnt as good (as you wouldve presumed) and the resources werent as good...

If you are planning to do BIT at UTS(like me), i think you should consider putting B Business Administration B Information Technology (double degree) at macquarie as one of your preferences too! it has a projected UAI of 90...so yeah!

M o r p h X

well anyone know what da projected UAI for dat new course in UTS

B Business B Computing

Cheers

M o r p h X

if u don't get into the double degree...

what course (I.T) could u do....... to transfer into that double degree...

me thinkin more on da B Sci I.T in Innovation course....

Also..... anyone applied for da B.I.T course..

wen they usually notify u dat u have been accpedted for an interview...etc

and possibly give us a few pointers..... for interview if selected.....

Cheers

HSC
hey yknow the Interviews yeah? is there like a certain "attire" we should turn up as? just smart casual?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)