Bit/Baud Rate (1 Viewer)

rama_v

HSC
Can anyone please explain to me the difference between bit rate and baud rate? I heard that baud rate has something to do with the maximum amount of signal changes per second...but I am not realy sure. Any answers?

Trev

stix
HSC
from Heinmann:
Bit Rate: (or bits per second, BPS); A unit of measurement for the speed of data transfer. It is the number of bits that can be transmitted in one second.
Baud Rate: The maximum number of data symbols or electrical signals that can be transmitted in one second.

Jait

HSC
N/A
The BOS is primarily concerned that you understand the last paragraph in that tech post. That is they want you to realise that it is possible to send more than 1 bit in each signal change.

If you do send 4 bits in each signal change the BPS will be 4x the baud rate.

BPS= Bits per signal change X baud rate

Only when the Bits per signal change is equal to 1 will BPS and Baud rate be the same. Certainly dont write in the exam that BPS = baud rate.

sNiPeR_24

Fo' shizzle
HSC
Yeah as the others have said, if you remember the basic definition of the two - that bits per second is self-explanatory and baud rate is the number of symbols sent per second - you should be right.

It'll probably only appear as a multiple choice question or something, which requires only basic knowledge.

Trev

stix
HSC
sNiPeR_24 said:
Yeah as the others have said, if you remember the basic definition of the two - that bits per second is self-explanatory and baud rate is the number of symbols sent per second - you should be right.

It'll probably only appear as a multiple choice question or something, which requires only basic knowledge.
sprung, getting ur post count up i see ;)

sNiPeR_24

Fo' shizzle
HSC
Trev said:
sprung, getting ur post count up i see ;)
Hahaha, kinda. But I'm helping out other people in the process.

Jait said:
If you do send 4 bits in each signal change the BPS will be 4x the baud rate.

BPS= Bits per signal change X baud rate

Only when the Bits per signal change is equal to 1 will BPS and Baud rate be the same. Certainly dont write in the exam that BPS = baud rate.
For a HSC student, this level of in-depth knowledge would never be examined, that'd be more like a university assessment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)